a person apparently sensitive to things beyond the natural range of perception
affecting or influenced by the human mind
"psychic energy"; "psychic trauma"
outside the sphere of physical science
A person who possesses, or appears to possess, extra-sensory abilities such as precognition, clairvoyance and telepathy, or who appears to be susceptible to paranormal or supernatural influence.
A person who supposedly contacts the dead. A medium.
In gnostic theologian Valentinus' triadic grouping of man the second type; a person focused on intellectual reality (the other two being hylic and pneumatic).
Relating to the abilities of a psychic.
alt. of Psychical
A psychic is a person who claims to have an ability to perceive information hidden from the normal senses through extrasensory perception, or who is said by others to have such abilities. The word "psychic" is also used to describe theatrical performers, such as stage magicians, who use techniques such as prestidigitation, cold reading, and hot reading to produce the appearance of such abilities. It can also denote an ability of the mind to influence the world physically using psychokinetic powers such as those formerly claimed by Uri Geller. Psychics appear regularly in fantasy fiction, such as in the novel The Dead Zone by Stephen King. A large industry exists whereby psychics provide advice and counsel to clients. Some famous contemporary psychics include Miss Cleo, John Edward, and Sylvia Browne. Psychic powers are asserted by psychic detectives and in practices such as psychic archaeology and even psychic surgery. Critics attribute psychic powers to intentional trickery or to self-delusion. In 1988 the U.S. National Academy of Sciences gave a report on the subject and concluded there is "no scientific justification from research conducted over a period of 130 years for the existence of parapsychological phenomena." A study attempted to repeat recently reported parapsychological experiments that appeared to support the existence of precognition. All attempts to repeat the results "failed to produce significant effects", and thus "do not support the existence of psychic ability."
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
-al, sī′kik, -al, adj. pertaining to the soul, or living principle in man: spiritual: pertaining to the mind, or to its faculties and functions.—ns. Psy′che, the personified soul or spirit: the human soul or spirit or mind: a genus of bombycid moths: a cheval-glass; Psychī′ater, Psychī′atrist, one who treats diseases of the mind, an alienist; Psychī′atry, the treatment of mental diseases; Psy′chic, a spiritualistic medium; Psy′chics, the science of psychology; Psy′chism, the doctrine that there is a universal soul animating all living beings; Psy′chist; Psychogen′esis, Psychog′eny, the origination and development of the soul; Psychog′ony, the doctrine of the development of mind; Psy′chograph, an instrument used for so-called spirit-writing.—adj. Psychograph′ic.—n. Psychog′raphy, the natural history of mind: supposed spirit-writing by the hand of a medium.—adjs. Psycholog′ic, -al, pertaining to psychology: pertaining to the mind.—adv. Psycholog′ically.—v.i. Psychol′ogise.—ns. Psychol′ogist, one who studies psychology; Psychol′ogy, the science which classifies and analyses the phenomena or varying states of the human mind; Psychom′achy, a conflict of soul with body; Psy′chomancy, necromancy; Psychom′etry, the science of the measurement of the duration, &c., of mental processes: an occult power claimed by some charlatans of divining the secret properties of things by mere contact.—adj. Psy′chomōtor, pertaining to such mental action as induces muscular contraction.—ns. Psychoneurol′ogy, that part of neurology which deals with mental action; Psychoneurō′sis, mental disease without apparent anatomical lesion; Psychon′omy, the science of the laws of mental action; Psychonosol′ogy, the branch of medical science that treats of mental diseases; Psychopan′nychism, the theory that at death the soul falls asleep till the resurrection; Psychopan′nychist; Psychopar′esis, mental weakness; Psy′chopath, a morally irresponsible person; Psychop′athist, an alienist; Psychop′athy, derangement of mental functions.—adj. Psy′cho-phys′ical.—ns. Psy′cho-phys′icist; Psy′cho-physiol′ogy, Psy′cho-phys′ics, the knowledge of the manifold correspondences of the most intimate and exact kind that exist between states and changes of consciousness on the one hand, and states and changes of brain on the other—the concomitance being apparently complete as respects
The numerical value of psychic in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of psychic in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Examples of psychic in a Sentence
This is part of the dark underbelly of American society, the racism, the bigotry, and the entire conversation that we're having here tonight -- if Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan think any of this wonkiness is going to deal with this dark psychic force of the collectivized hatred that this President is bringing up in this country, then I'm afraid that the Democrats are going to see some very dark days, we need to say it like it is.
Evolution is gaining the psychic zones of the world... life, being and ascent of consciousness, could not continue to advance indefinitely along its line without transforming itself in depth. The being who is the object of his own reflection, in consequence, of that very doubling back upon himself becomes in a flash able to raise himself to a new sphere.
1. Music rap beat: The creak of a door wao wao wao. Wao Wao Tum Tum Tum Wao WaoThe smashing sword of feelings cuts the emptiness of reality that feels the powerlessness of the fighter against fate 2. Music rap beat: Tuk tchak tututu tchak tutu tchak tututu tchak tutu tchak tchak tchak tutu tchak.Memory is a palace of photographs and in each room you can watch a video of memories, this palace is on fire, and new photos fly out of your head that rebuild a new castle. 3. Music rap beat: empty drum sound and beat rhythm house here tuka tu dum tuk tutu tuka house. Fake laughter as a simulated orgasm of optimism. 4. Music: Bowl Sound: woo-woo-beat rhythm: Tu-Ta-Ta-Tu-Tu-Doom Remembering, fears, desires, mysterious entities, all of them are in your hotel subconscious where you are just a doorman. 5. Compass of awareness in the hands of the one who is eating in the elevator of consciousness, awareness in the very top. On the higher floors, they will understand that they have not yet grown to logic, and where logic breaks down and the highest level of thinking begins: infinite love. 6. Thinking is life, the death of thinking and philosophy gives birth to a new form of life in a new dimension of thinking. 7. Instincts are fear, therefore we are still part of the animal world, because of fear we live in a cultural ghetto. Intuition is the courage of conscience in the heart. 8. Love is when it is pleasant to dream and think about your beloved person and to receive sincere pleasure taking care of him. 9. A philosopher is a whirling six-barreled machine gun firing thoughts, ideas into people's souls and bullets never end; a slight evil smile of awareness comes from them; everyone realizes the evil joke of reality. 10. Periodically, the light of the stairs illuminates the corridors of the staircases, everything changes and is illuminated by a beacon of good luck for our lives. 11. Insanely laughing psycheFrom disappointment, the soul cannot stop laughing with a frightening uncontrolled laugh, between fear and uncontrolled angry laughter. The smiling, insanely laughing psyche growls and tears to pieces from the high-voltage psychic tension that gives birth to truth, from a smile the philosophy of the psyche breaks into two parts of the duality of the world. A huge smile is visible in the broken mirror of the psyche, and only sometimes the image of a person is reflected in them as a reflection of conscience. 12. Everyone hurries to their graves. 13. Instincts are terrible toys of the subconscious, there is a toy world that is developed at the expense of all lived lives, they call to have fun at the expense of oneself. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
1. Seeing you finally smile at the emptiness, indelible smile on your face. And your terrible laugh in response to any blows and fear that fate grants. She feels powerless over you. You feel the complete absence of fear - this is the acceptance of reality in its true form. 2. The people who created and develop this world: in debt. Sins are debts after death. Sins as a loan taken from a bank of hell. 3. Truth plunges into loneliness. 4. Fate lowered the gun fuse - this is the best lie detector in the world. Take a look at your body, you are only one millimeter away from eternity, her finger on the trigger. Because of problems, your whole life will pass in one second; you will be separated from immortality by only one second. The closer you are to death, the closer you are to the truth that everything in the human world is meaningless because it is temporary. 5. A halo of knowledge within life, this is a record of projection, a person who feels reality can feel the universe: the past, present and future, and that which is timeless. 6. On the tombstone of a woman who died alone, because she always rejected, repelled, did not forgive, and broke the hearts of all the guys and men who had once offered themselves to her. Her last words were written on her stone: I have been waiting for the perfect man all my life. 7. Some harden life, while others only spoil. 8. Reality is decomposing and all the ridiculous horrors of reality are visible, since you are in the violent chronosphere, where the quantum genetic transformations of the instincts of despair are in, in the projection of an alternative reality of the ego of power in which everything is programmed for decomposition. 9. The knowledge of world religions is only four keys to a higher form of awareness, they will open the gates to higher worlds; you just need to choose one of these keys in order to evolve. 10. Philosophical poetry Noir jazz saxophone of loneliness in poetic comics of memories, with light eroticism of romance. All filled with philosophical silence and self-talk. An almost finished cigarette, it goes like a thought to the logical conclusion of philosophical poetry, where you are looking for a way out of the prison of reality. You play poker with the fate of someone luck, and someone pass. It rains from sinful tears; it does not make the city more conscientious, but a little cleaner. The city is in a fog of thought, the red lightnings of anger sparkle, in the black clouds of depression and then the cold snow of indifference illuminated by the lifeless light of the curiosity of the gods. Soon a new dawn of thoughts, the black and white reality of pessimism, where in the bright colors of the expressive contrasts of the oppositions, there is only a faint light of conscience and animal instincts of darkness. Throughout the deep darkness suggests that the other world is very close and the door there is always open. Everywhere the harsh gray color of thought, periodically sound melodies of the void of truth. Everything is gray here and only red blood is the color of eternal guilt. Everything can become colored only from self-hypnosis in the bright colors of the illusions of optimism. Reason plunges into the darkness of Gothic despair and only a beloved woman can get out of there. The heart accumulates scars, but it does not stop, it continues to live for the sake of loved ones, for the sake of curiosity. In this cold void of the illusions of materialism, only true love will warm the soul, but not lust, because after an orgasm you feel sad notes of loneliness, filled on the piano of sadness. Lust is the girlfriend of egoism, which is the six of self-deception. Vivid memories are a consolation prize of eternity, unlike life they are eternal - these are prosaic scenes of cinema of karma. Scenes of comedians about heroes and villains, where you were exposed as an antihero, and your tormentors were victims. Here you feel literally every frame of sadism of fate. 11. From cruel blows of reality, a person does not become prettier. 12. From disappointment, the soul cannot stop laughing with a frightening rampant laugh, between fear and rampant angry laughter. The smiling, insanely laughing psyche growls and tears to pieces from the high-voltage psychic tension that gives birth to truth, from a smile the philosophy of the psyche breaks into two parts of the duality of the world. A huge smile is visible in the broken mirror of the psyche, and only sometimes the image of a person is reflected in them as a reflection of conscience. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
If you think any of this wonkiness is going to deal with this dark, psychic force of the collectivized hatred that this president is bringing up in this country, then Im afraid the Democrats are going to see some very dark days.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for psychic
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- psyykikko, psyykkinen, meedioFinnish
- medium, psykikerNorwegian
- metapsychiczny, psychiczny, mediumPolish
- sensitivo, psíquico, parapsíquico, médiumPortuguese
- телепат, экстрасенс, медиумRussian
Get even more translations for psychic »
Find a translation for the psychic definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)