shrivel, shrivel up, shrink, wither(verb)
wither, as with a loss of moisture
"The fruit dried and shriveled"
lose freshness, vigor, or vitality
"Her bloom was fading"
to fade; to lose freshness; to become sapless; to become sapless; to dry or shrivel up
to lose or want animal moisture; to waste; to pin/ away, as animal bodies
to lose vigor or power; to languish; to pass away
to cause to fade, and become dry
to cause to shrink, wrinkle, or decay, for want of animal moisture
to cause to languish, perish, or pass away; to blight; as, a reputation withered by calumny
Origin: [OE. wideren; probably the same word as wederen to weather (see Weather, v. & n.); or cf. G. verwittern to decay, to be weather-beaten, Lith. vysti to wither.]
Wither is a fictional character, a mutant appearing in comic books published by Marvel Comics. He has been a member of the student body at the Xavier Institute, a member of the Hellions training squad, and a supervillain as a part of Selene's Coven.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
with′ėr, v.i. to fade or become dry: to lose freshness: to shrink: waste.—v.t. to cause to dry up: to cause to decay, perish, waste.—adj. With′ered, dried up.—n. With′eredness.—adj. With′ering, blasting, blighting, scorching.—n. With′ering-floor, the drying-floor of a malt-house.—adv. With′eringly. [A.S. wedrian, to expose to weather.]
The numerical value of wither in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of wither in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Examples of wither in a Sentence
I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair.
Age cannot wither her, nor custom staleHer infinite variety.
Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale Her infinite variety.
Desire makes everything blossom possession makes everything wither and fade.
Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade.
Images & Illustrations of wither
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for wither
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- musteir, marcir, pansirCatalan, Valencian
- uvadat, scvrknout se, sesypat se, vadnout, vyschnout, usychat, ochromit, zhroutit seCzech
- verdorren, verwelken, vertrocknen, welkenGerman
- μαραίνομαι, παθαίνω μαρασμό, μαραίνωGreek
- marchitar, decaerSpanish
- jäykistyä, jähmettyä, kuihduttaa, lakastua, lakastuttaa, kuihtuaFinnish
- flétrir, fanerFrench
- mirrar, murchar, muchar, rechumirGalician
- elfonnyad, elszárít, kiszárít, elszárad, elhervaszt, elhervadHungarian
- avvizzire, inaridirsi, raggrinzire, appassire, inaridire, essiccareItalian
- çilmisîn, çilmisandinKurdish
- murchar, mirrarPortuguese
- ofili, veștejiRomanian
- увя́нуть, засо́хнуть, завя́нуть, увяда́ть, со́хнуть, вя́нутьRussian
- venuti, sahnutiSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for wither »
Find a translation for the wither definition in other languages:
Select another language: