wallet, billfold, notecase, pocketbook(noun)
a pocket-size case for holding papers and paper money
A small case, often flat and often made of leather, for keeping money (especially paper money), credit cards, etc.
The thief stole all the money and credit cards out of the old man's wallet.
A thick case or folder with plastic sleeves in which compact discs may be stored.
I won an auction online for a cheap CD wallet.
Origin: walet. Of uncertain origin. Possibly from an assumed *walet "bag, knapsack", of origin, from wal-. More at walk, well, wallow.
a bag or sack for carrying about the person, as a bag for carrying the necessaries for a journey; a knapsack; a beggar's receptacle for charity; a peddler's pack
a pocketbook for keeping money about the person
anything protuberant and swagging
Origin: [OE. walet, probably the same word as OE. watel a bag. See Wattle.]
A wallet, or billfold, is a small, flat case that is used to carry personal items such as cash, credit cards, identification documents, photographs, gift cards, business cards and other paper or laminated cards. Wallets are generally made of leather or fabrics, and they are usually pocket-sized but not always foldable.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
wol′et, n. a bag for carrying necessaries on a journey: a knapsack: a pocket-book: a bag for tools: (Shak.) anything protuberant. [M. E. walet, possibly from watel, a bag.]
A type of container and product created and designed in various colors, length, width, materials, mechanisms, shapes, sizes and styles used to hold coinage, notes, a variety of bank card size cards, some with space for a mobile phone and other items according to the design, suitable for a young boy or man.
Some men love to use a wallet and they choose them to meet their need so there are a wide variety on the market in different colors, styles and shapes.
The numerical value of wallet in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of wallet in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The way to a woman's heart is through your wallet.
He's certainly getting attention but it's costing him in the wallet.
After months of big talk and doing nothing, he is worried that he will have to open his wallet.
You can make do without a wallet but can't [live] without your smartphone when you go out these days.
Time hath a wallet at his back, wherein he puts. Alms for oblivion, a great-sized monster of ingratitudes.
Images & Illustrations of wallet
Translations for wallet
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- beursie, portemonneeAfrikaans
- portmonat, pul kisəsi, bumajnikAzerbaijani
- портфейл, портмонеBulgarian
- মানিব্যাগ, ওয়ালেটBengali
- cartera, bitlleteraCatalan, Valencian
- Brieftasche, Börse, Geldbörse, Geldbeutel, PortemonnaieGerman
- πορτοφόλι, χρηματοφυλάκιο, βαλάντιοGreek
- cartera, billeteraSpanish
- rahakott, rahataskuEstonian
- کیف پولPersian
- portefeuille, porte-monnaieFrench
- boekjeWestern Frisian
- màileid-pòca, màileidScottish Gaelic
- billeteira, carteiraGalician
- veski, seðlaveski, buddaIcelandic
- borsellino, portafoglioItalian
- 財布, 札入れJapanese
- საფულე, ქისაGeorgian
- шилан, әмиянKazakh
- កាបូប, ក្របូបKhmer
- ກະເປົາ, ກະເປົາເງິນLao
- dėklas, piniginėLithuanian
- kopa, pāhi, wāreteMāori
- паричник, портмонеMacedonian
- lommebokNorwegian Nynorsk
- portmonetka, portfelPolish
- bursa, portafögl, buorsa, portafegl, portafiglRomansh
- portofel, portmoneuRomanian
- бумажник, кошелёк, портмонеRussian
- новчаник, buđelar, novčanik, буђеларSerbo-Croatian
- ҳамьён, ҳамёнTajik
- กระเป๋าสตางค์, กระเป๋าเงิน, กระเป๋าธนบัตร, กระเป๋าตังค์Thai
- cüzdan, portföyTurkish
- بٹوا, بٹوےUrdu
- kartmon, hamyonUzbek
- ví tiềnVietnamese
- boûsse, poite-manoye, poite-foyeWalloon
Get even more translations for wallet »
Find a translation for the wallet definition in other languages:
Select another language: