hand-operated character printer for printing written messages one character at a time
A device, at least partially mechanical, used to print text by pressing keys that cause type to be impressed through an inked ribbon onto paper.
One who uses a typewriter; a typist.
The typewriter got up and disappeared out a back door, and soon she come back with a man, and he said, "Can I be of some help, Mr. Higgens?" -- The Southpaw, Mike Harris, 1953.
an instrument for writing by means of type, a typewheel, or the like, in which the operator makes use of a sort of keyboard, in order to obtain printed impressions of the characters upon paper
one who uses such an instrument
A typewriter is a mechanical or electromechanical machine for writing in characters similar to those produced by printer's type by means of keyboard-operated types striking a ribbon to transfer ink or carbon impressions onto the paper. Typically one character is printed for keypress, and the machine prints the characters by making ink impressions of type elements similar to the sorts used in movable type letterpress printing. After their invention in the 1860s, typewriters quickly became indispensable tools for practically all writing other than personal correspondence. They were widely used by professional writers, in offices, and for business correspondence in private homes. By the end of the 1980s, word processors and personal computers had largely displaced typewriters in most of these uses in the Western world, but as of the 2010s the typewriter is still prominent in many parts of the world including India. Notable typewriter manufacturer companies have included E. Remington and Sons, IBM, Imperial Typewriters, Oliver Typewriter Company, Olivetti, Royal Typewriter Company, Smith Corona, Underwood Typewriter Company, Adler and Olympia.
The numerical value of typewriter in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of typewriter in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
van Vogt is not a giant as often maintained. He's only a pygmy using a giant typewriter
The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon.
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
It was given to her with a group of chairs and this was the most comfortable, she says in her letter that she parked it in front of her typewriter and it stayed there.
Images & Illustrations of typewriter
Translations for typewriter
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- آلة كاتبةArabic
- пі́шучая машы́нкаBelarusian
- пи́шеща маши́наBulgarian
- màquina d'escriureCatalan, Valencian
- psací strojCzech
- δακτυλογράφος, γραφομηχανήGreek
- tajpilo, skribmaŝinoEsperanto
- máquina de escribirSpanish
- konekirjoittaja, kirjoituskoneFinnish
- machine à écrire, dactyloFrench
- clò-sgrìobhadair, clò-sgrìobhaicheScottish Gaelic
- máquina de escribirGalician
- מְכוֹנַת כְּתִיבָהHebrew
- gépíró, gépírónő, írógépHungarian
- vélritari, ritari, ritvélIcelandic
- macchina da scrivereItalian
- タイプライター, 印字機Japanese
- საწერი მანქანაGeorgian
- 타자기, 타이프라이터, 打字機Korean
- SchreifmaschinnLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- rašomoji mašinėlėLithuanian
- mesin taipMalay
- maszyna do pisania, maszynistkaPolish
- máquina de escreverPortuguese
- машини́стка, печа́тная маши́нка, машини́ст, пи́шущая маши́нкаRussian
- kucar, pisaca mašina, pisaci stroj, kucač, писаћи строј, писаћа машинаSerbo-Croatian
- písací strojSlovak
- pisalni strojSlovene
- maskinskrivare, skrivmaskin, skrivmaskinistSwedish
- daktilo, daktilo makinesi, yazı makinesiTurkish
- друка́рська маши́нкаUkrainian
- máy chữVietnamese
- klavan, hiklavan, penamacin, jiklavanVolapük
Get even more translations for typewriter »
Find a translation for the typewriter definition in other languages:
Select another language: