student, pupil, educatee(noun)
a learner who is enrolled in an educational institution
scholar, scholarly person, bookman, student(noun)
a learned person (especially in the humanities); someone who by long study has gained mastery in one or more disciplines
A person who studies a particular academic subject
A student of philosophy.
A person seriously devoted to some subject, whether academic or not
He is a student of life.
A person enrolled at a university
The students were out raising funds for rag week.
Origin: From studens, present participle of studere
a person engaged in study; one who is devoted to learning; a learner; a pupil; a scholar; especially, one who attends a school, or who seeks knowledge from professional teachers or from books; as, the students of an academy, a college, or a university; a medical student; a hard student
one who studies or examines in any manner; an attentive and systematic observer; as, a student of human nature, or of physical nature
Origin: [L. studens, -entis, p. pr. of studere to study. See Study, n.]
A student is a learner, or someone who attends an educational institution. In some nations, the English term is reserved for those who attend university, while a schoolchild under the age of eighteen is called a pupil in English, although in the United States a person enrolled in grades K–12 is often called a student. In its widest use, student is used for anyone who is learning, including mid-career adults who are taking vocational education or returning to university.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
stū′dent, n. one who studies, a scholar at a higher school, college, or university: one devoted to the study of any subject: a man devoted to books.—ns. Stū′dentry, students collectively; Stū′dentship, an endowment for a student in a college.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'student' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1333
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'student' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2399
Rank popularity for the word 'student' in Nouns Frequency: #148
The numerical value of student in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of student in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
This time as a teacher instead of student.
Judge: a law student who marks his own papers.
A wise man is a student though he is a teacher.
JUDGE, n A law student who marks his own papers.
A student of wisdom becomes a professor of life.
Images & Illustrations of student
Translations for student
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تلميذ, طالب, تلميذة, طالبةArabic
- студэ́нтка, студэ́нтBelarusian
- студентка, студентBulgarian
- estudiantCatalan, Valencian
- student, studentkaCzech
- Student, Hochschülerin, Studierende, Hochschüler, Studentin, StudierenderGerman
- σπουδαστής, σπουδάστρια, φοιτήτρια, μελετητής, φοιτητήςGreek
- gestudantoj, studento, gestudentoj, studentino, studantino, studanto, virstudento, virstudantoEsperanto
- alumno, alumna, estudianteSpanish
- üliõpilane, õppija, tudeng, õpilaneEstonian
- tutkija, opiskelija, ylioppilasFinnish
- étudiant, étudiante, élèveFrench
- mac léinnIrish
- oileanachScottish Gaelic
- विद्यार्थी, छात्र, विद्यार्थिHindi
- tanuló, hallgató, diákHungarian
- mahasiswi, siswa, murid, siswi, pelajar, mahasiswaIndonesian
- studente, studentessa, studioso, alunnoItalian
- កូនសិស្ស, និស្សិតKhmer
- 學生, 학생Korean
- تهلهبه, قوتابیKurdish
- discipula, studens, discipulum, discens, discipulus, StudentLatin
- വിദ്യാര്ത്ഥി, വിദ്യാര്ത്ഥിനിMalayalam
- murid, pelajarMalay
- ကျောင်းသား, ကျောင်းသူBurmese
- studente, studentDutch
- ółtaʼíNavajo, Navaho
- ଛାତ୍ର, ଚାଟOriya
- student, studentkaPolish
- estudioso, académico, estudantePortuguese
- student, studenta, studentessaRomansh
- studentă, studentRomanian
- студент, учащаяся, учащийся, студенткаRussian
- शिष्य, छात्रSanskrit
- студент, studentSerbo-Croatian
- ශිෂ්යයාSinhala, Sinhalese
- studentska, student, elevSwedish
- mwanagenzi, mwanachuo, mwanafunziSwahili
- talyp, student, okuwçyTurkmen
- mag-aaral, estudyanteTagalog
- студентка, студентUkrainian
- چھاتر, طالِب عِلم, طالب علمUrdu
- talaba, studentUzbek
- 學生, chăm chỉ, sinh viên, học sinh, 生員Vietnamese
- jistudan, jistudanef, studanef, studan, histudanef, histudanVolapük
- סטודענט, תּלמידYiddish
Get even more translations for student »
Find a translation for the student definition in other languages:
Select another language: