Definitions for squeeze
Here are all the possible meanings and translations of the word squeeze.
the act of gripping and pressing firmly
"he gave her cheek a playful squeeze"
credit crunch, liquidity crisis, squeezenoun
a state in which there is a short supply of cash to lend to businesses and consumers and interest rates are high
a situation in which increased costs cannot be passed on to the customer
"increased expenses put a squeeze on profits"
(slang) a person's girlfriend or boyfriend
"she was his main squeeze"
a twisting squeeze
"gave the wet cloth a wring"
power play, squeeze play, squeezenoun
an aggressive attempt to compel acquiescence by the concentration or manipulation of power
"she laughed at this sexual power play and walked away"
hug, clinch, squeezenoun
a tight or amorous embrace
"come here and give me a big hug"
the act of forcing yourself (or being forced) into or through a restricted space
"getting through that small opening was a tight squeeze"
squash, crush, squelch, mash, squeezeverb
to compress with violence, out of natural shape or condition
"crush an aluminum can"; "squeeze a lemon"
"He squeezed my hand"
wedge, squeeze, forceverb
squeeze like a wedge into a tight space
"I squeezed myself into the corner"
coerce, hale, squeeze, pressure, forceverb
to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means :"She forced him to take a job in the city"
"He squeezed her for information"
extort, squeeze, rack, gouge, wringverb
obtain by coercion or intimidation
"They extorted money from the executive by threatening to reveal his past to the company boss"; "They squeezed money from the owner of the business by threatening him"
thrust, stuff, shove, squeezeverb
press or force
"Stuff money into an envelope"; "She thrust the letter into his hand"
pinch, squeeze, twinge, tweet, nip, twitchverb
squeeze tightly between the fingers
"He pinched her behind"; "She squeezed the bottle"
embrace, hug, bosom, squeezeverb
squeeze (someone) tightly in your arms, usually with fondness
"Hug me, please"; "They embraced"; "He hugged her close to him"
compress, constrict, squeeze, compact, contract, pressverb
squeeze or press together
"she compressed her lips"; "the spasm contracted the muscle"
A difficult position
I'm in a tight squeeze right now when it comes to my free time.
A traversal of a narrow passage
It was a tight squeeze, but I got through to the next section of the cave.
A hug or other affectionate grasp
a gentle squeeze on the arm
A romantic partner
I want to be your main squeeze
The act of bunting in an attempt to score a runner from third
The game ended in exciting fashion with a failed squeeze.
(epigraphy) An impression of an inscription formed by pressing wet paper onto the surface and peeling off when dry.
The light not being good enough for photography, I took a squeeze of the stone.
A play that forces an opponent to discard a card that gives up one or more tricks.
To apply pressure to from two or more sides at once
To fit into a tight place
I managed to squeeze the car into that parking space.
To remove something with difficulty, or apparent difficulty
He squeezed some money out of his wallet.
To put in a difficult position by presenting two or more choices
I'm being squeezed between my job and my volunteer work.
To attempt to score a runner from third by bunting
Jones squeezed in Smith with a perfect bunt.
Etymology: First attested around 1600, probably an alteration of quease (which is attested since 1550), from cwysan, of unknown origin, perhaps imitative (compare quetschen). The slang expression "to put the squeeze on (someone or something)", meaning "to exert influence", is from 1711. The baseball term "squeeze play" is first recorded 1905. "Main squeeze" ("most important person") is attested from 1896, the specific meaning "one's sweetheart, lover" is attested by 1980.
Samuel Johnson's Dictionary
Etymology: from the verb.
A subtile artist stands with wond’rous bag,
That bears imprison’d winds, of gentler sort
Than those that erst Laertes’ son enclos’d:
Peaceful they sleep; but let the tuneful squeeze
Of lab’ring elbow rouse them, out they fly
Melodious, and with spritely accents charm. Philips.
Etymology: cwisan , Saxon; ys-gwasgu, Welsh.
It is applied to the squeezing or pressing of things downwards, as in the presses for printing. John Wilkins.
The sinking of the earth would make an extraordinary convulsion of the air, and that crack must so shake or squeeze the atmosphere, as to bring down all the remaining vapours. Thomas Burnet, Theory of the Earth.
He reap’d the product of his labour’d ground,
And squeez’d the combs with golden liquor crown’d. Dryden.
None acted mournings forc’d to show,
Or squeeze his eyes to make the torrent flow. Dryden.
When Florio speaks, what virgin could withstand,
If gentle Damon did not squeeze her hand? Alexander Pope.
In a civil war people must expect to be crushed and squeezed toward the burden. Roger L'Estrange.
A concave sphere of gold fill’d with water and folder’d up, upon pressing the sphere with great force, let the water squeeze through it, and stand all over its outside in multitudes of small drops, like dew, without bursting or cracking the body of the gold. Isaac Newton, Opticks.
What crowds of these, impenitently bold,
In sounds and jingling syllables grown old,
Still run on poets, in a raging vein,
Ev’n to the dregs and squeezings of the brain. Alexander Pope.
Many a publick minister comes empty in; but when he has crammed his guts, he is fain to squeeze hard before he can get off. Roger L'Estrange.
to press between two bodies; to press together closely; to compress; often, to compress so as to expel juice, moisture, etc.; as, to squeeze an orange with the fingers; to squeeze the hand in friendship
fig.: To oppress with hardships, burdens, or taxes; to harass; to crush
to force, or cause to pass, by compression; often with out, through, etc.; as, to squeeze water through felt
to press; to urge one's way, or to pass, by pressing; to crowd; -- often with through, into, etc.; as, to squeeze hard to get through a crowd
the act of one who squeezes; compression between bodies; pressure
a facsimile impression taken in some soft substance, as pulp, from an inscription on stone
Squeeze are a British band that came to prominence in the United Kingdom during the New Wave period of the late 1970s and continued recording successfully in the 1980s and 1990s. They are known in the UK for their hit songs "Cool for Cats", "Up the Junction", "Tempted", "Labelled With Love", "Black Coffee In Bed", "Another Nail in My Heart","Pulling Mussels" and "Hourglass". Though not as commercially successful in the U.S., Squeeze had American chart hits with "Tempted", "Hourglass" and "853-5937", and they have a dedicated following there and continue to attract new fans. All of Squeeze's hits were written by band members Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook, with the former penning the lyrics and the latter handling the composition. The duo were hailed as "the heirs to Lennon and McCartney's throne" during their peak of popularity in the early 1980s. The group formed in Deptford, London, in 1974, and first broke up in 1982. Squeeze then reformed in 1985, and disbanded again in 1999. The band reunited for tours through the United States and United Kingdom in 2007, and this touring version of Squeeze has continued into the present day. Difford and Tilbrook confirmed during interviews at the V Festival in both 2008 and 2011 that they plan to produce a record of new Squeeze material. In 2010, they issued Spot the Difference, an album of newly recorded versions of older material. Then, during their 2012 tour of the US, Squeeze made available for sale a 4-song CD of new demo recordings; later in 2012, the band's first new official studio recordings in 14 years were issued as the EP Packet Of Four. Currently, this 4-song CD EP is only available as a bonus disc to purchasers of various live concert recordings of Squeeze's 2012 UK tour.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
skwēz, v.t. to crush or press between two bodies: to embrace closely: to force through a small hole: to cause to pass: to extort, oppress, harass.—v.i. to push between close bodies: to press: to crowd.—n. act of squeezing: pressing between bodies: an impression of an inscription, &c., made by taking a rubbing.—n. Squeezabil′ity.—adj. Squeez′able.—ns. Squeez′er, one who, or that which, squeezes: (pl.) playing-cards having the number of spots marked in the right-hand corner of each; Squeez′ing, the act of exerting pressure.—adj. Squeez′y, suggesting squeezing, small, contracted. [M. E. queisen—A.S. cwísan.]
Song lyrics by squeeze -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by squeeze on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'squeeze' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4548
Rank popularity for the word 'squeeze' in Verbs Frequency: #717
The numerical value of squeeze in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of squeeze in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
We look through the sights, squeeze the trigger and the toy soldiers go flying, dying hard but smiling in the process. The toy maker should be laughing the whole way to the bank but Nietzsche said he was dead too.
1. Having deciphered the code of your thinking or humanity, you can predict the future. 2. Egoism is the manipulation of human infantile selfishness, egoism leads humanity to the animal primitivism of instincts and vices in literally everything. Hypocrisy is what remains of a person, a pitiful acting parody of a person. The more a person is afraid, the more selfishness in him. 3. O sweet nectar of insight. You squeeze my heart and give healing. The sweet juice of awareness. The philosophical symbolism of paradoxes gives knowledge about life, the surrealism puzzle of reality, deciphering which gives the nectar of insight. 4. Geo-mentality of egoism, local mentality that crumbles into smaller areas of mentality, hypocritical adherents, turns everything into crumbs of pettiness. 5. Loneliness is a narcissistic sociopathy of infantility in which you feel a complete mental disconnection from the genitals, a complete sense of humility that deprives you of any kind of fear. 6. Philosophy is the prelude to death. 7. Loneliness as autism of insensibility, like a ghost in the middle of eternity, in the middle of the reality of nothingness. 8. Heart in the box of the past, soul out of time, mind in the future. 9. Science, psychology, philosophy is the decoding of egoism. 10. Awareness is laughing gas. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
1. Without desires, you are dead, like a ghost that sees only reality. 2. It's amazing how we choose our own reality, what does it mean that we want to live in an illusory lie, or to see only what we want to see in individual reality, denying the divine reality of nature. To live in an artificial reality of our vices and instincts. To squeeze bodily pleasures out of her when, as spiritual pleasures, as opposed to bodily pleasures, are eternal. We deny our lives by plunging into the illusion of emptiness. Lies from our illusory dreams become reality. Lying out of self-deception becomes our sight. 3. Life is a memory, it is memories, life is a recording on an energy tape, because life is in the past. 4. Life is not a body, but a soul, life is energy in emptiness. 5. Life consists of recording thoughts, from confusion and naivety. 6. Life goes through a karmic evolution of awareness, over and over again in retro deja vu recordings. Karmic incubator of evolution in one moment of life that you experience over and over again, you grow up when you want to take the side of goodness and light. 7. Life is karmic nostalgia. A karmic foodie looking for adventure. Life is the philosophical energy of a buffet of feelings and emotions. 8. Melanin and anthropological, genetic adaptation of philosophical culture, created the illusion of hierarchical aesthetics, external and internal obsession with perfectionism, animal ego of the Olympics, where envy and self-doubt creates a dead end in evolution. 9. Cultural vandalism of the hype of the media, media and the Internet in pop culture, science, art, where instead of discoveries, attracting attention and appropriating other people's merits, this is the cancer of evolution. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
1. Sleep is the symbolism of the oracle performance, it shows the paradox of evil. 2. People are a race of egoists, and the deeper you plunge into the depths of philosophical reality, tearing apart its deceitful tissue of the film of eternity, your personality becomes exotic and alien. 3. Laziness is a dumbbell, turn your laziness and fears from fat into steel muscles of endurance, and strength of mind and inner core is bodybuilding. 4. 1. Reincarnation of a karmic centrifuge in which we cognize infinity. In a karmic time loop, which can only be broken by disinterested nobility. 2. The subconscious is pickled like the wine of philosophy, through quantum infinity, the tinctures of thoughts with each life become stronger and stronger 3. Quantum reincarnation of the subconscious as a vacuum of paradoxes of life experience. 5. The ruler of the world is manipulating your egoism, the benefit of your ego. 6. 1. Understanding the more complex, subtle and deep mysteries of life will prevent selfishness, since it is stagnation, limitations and banality of the mind. 2. Selfishness is a technocracy of an unstable matrix of logic, a psychological program of behavior, a bio chip of the herd instinct, that is, conformism, trends of fashionable whims of society are taking root. 3. Nobility is the immortality of humanity. 4. Classical and ethnic traditional music is a flight of catharsis, a flight of hope and a fall into the depths of reality, this is a rise to the heights of life on the wings of emotions and inner suffering of feelings, thin strings of philosophical feelings are poetic, refined grace, philosophical aesthetics 5. Smart people strive to be where there was a peak of high aesthetic insight. In this statistic of insight, which, due to selfishness, sinks to the bottom. The weak-willed people follow the crowd in step with the times, they are afraid to fight off the herd mentality of pop culture, which personifies self-doubt. 7. 1. Selfishness is a sect. Selfishness unites us, that is, it gains selfish supporters. 2. Life is a stupid movie that ends up idiotically. 3. Days are like dull dreams. 4. Karmic chaos is an educator and teacher of the evolution of a certain chrono dimension. 5. Bones as the tree of evolution as branches of thinking grow as many wheels in the tree will be. 8. 1. Desires are the karmic nostalgia of deja vu, eternal oblivion in endless time loops of the vicious childhood of illusions. 2. Cellular reality everything consists of small cells, each in its own cell, in which there is a smaller cell and so on to infinity, a prison, not reality, each in its own cell in its own space. Everyone is at the micro-cellular level of perfectionism, morally limited in their cells of egoism. 3. Healing insight heals our minds of stupidity that constantly flirts with death. 4. 1. A miner of truth amid the mud of platitudes, with a flashlight of intuition, seeks the treasures of the truth of the laws of life. 2. Techno-bio synthesis of genetic adaptation makes a person a vulnerable vessel for the symbiotic technologies. 3. Art is hedonism of catharsis gourmets, a buffet of cultural philosophy. 4. Money gives rise to synthetic feelings of hypocritical selfishness. 9. 1. Cellular reality everything consists of small cells, each in its own cell, in which there is a smaller cell and so on to infinity, a prison, not reality, each in its own cell in its own space. Everyone is at the micro-cellular level of perfectionism, morally limited in their cells of egoism. 2. Desires are the karmic nostalgia of deja vu, eternal oblivion in the endless time loops of the vicious childhood of illusions. 10. 1. Over time, you will understand that society is an inadequate ghetto, comic, cartoony, animals, vicious paradoxes, a monetary matrix of illusions. 2. The secret of success in humor: inadequacy can be ridiculed indefinitely, beaten with jokes from a comic awareness, mixed with a comic cartoon imagination. 3. Reality is the romance of endless emptiness, you will understand this when you are outside the matrix of childhood vices. 4. From awareness you get old. 11. 1. To love through a bunch of problems, through scandals and hatred and anger. Love is the only rational phenomenon. 2. Life is the sadness of the realization that you are really alone where there are many people. Alone, reality is seen sharper and clearer. All the details of the truth and true attitude are visible. 3. Loneliness is when even tears do not help wash away the awareness. 4. Sadness from loneliness is bottomless and you will know at the bottom a new world in which there is a different consciousness. Thinking is a navigator in the globe of various consciousnesses from awareness. 5. Understanding is a stethoscope of empathy in which the cry of the soul is heard. 6. To stop being afraid of loneliness is like to stop being afraid of the dark and death. Just acknowledge the infinity of life, that we are immortal in this eternity. Remove limited consciousness within life. 7. The city of the future is a continuous neural network of empathy for understanding, perhaps because of this, banality, the network from which people plunge deeper and deeper into dreams of selfishness and self-improvement. 12. 1. Man is a portrait of chaos. Genetic, philosophical adaptation, in the physiognomy of chaos. 2. Comfort makes people sexless. 3. Evil is a genetic problem of thinking instincts and vices. Consciousness evolves, the revolution of the subconscious and matures from the insight that deepens in the subconscious. 4. Testosterone, estrogen and dopamine are all hormonal optimism, with a decrease in hormones you become a realist, you merge with reality, the whole and eternity itself, the number of desires decreases and there is only one desire for the family. Youth is hormones, dreams and hopes. 5. The voice of the earth, the voice of the world in which we live, which recognizes our pain and our thoughts comprehends the philosophy of chaos through the stormy timing of time, how illusions like pheromones stupefy us and lead us into nothingness of emptiness. 6. Any illusion, like a whisper of empty hopes, human creations merge together with the eternity of the beauties of nature. The lies of illusions over time are all sophisticated and sophistication leads away from the essence of life. We do not feel the thin string of the philosophy of qi energy, the whisper of intuition, the whisper of conscience leading to an ideal world. 7. Infinity of life and sociology of immortality in the universal cycles of life of reincarnation. 13. 1. Without desires, you are dead, like a ghost that sees only reality. 2. It's amazing how we choose our own reality, which means that we want to live in an illusory lie or see only what we want to see in individual reality, denying the divine reality of nature. To live in an artificial reality of our vices and instincts. To squeeze bodily pleasures out of her when, as spiritual pleasures, as opposed to bodily pleasures, are eternal. We deny our lives by plunging into the illusion of emptiness. Lies from our illusory dreams become reality. Lying out of self-deception becomes our sight. 3. Life is a memory, it is memories, life is a recording on an energy tape, because life is in the past. 4. Life is not a body, but a soul, life is energy in emptiness. 5. Life consists of recording thoughts, from confusion and naivety. 6. Life goes through a karmic evolution of awareness, over and over again in retro deja vu recordings. Karmic incubator of evolution in one moment of life that you experience over and over again, you grow up when you want to take the side of goodness and light. 7. Life is karmic nostalgia. A karmic foodie looking for adventure. Life is the philosophical energy of a buffet of feelings and emotions. 8. Melanin and anthropological, genetic adaptation of philosophical culture, created the illusion of hierarchical aesthetics, external and internal obsession with perfectionism, animal ego of the Olympics, where envy and self-doubt creates a dead end in evolution. 14. 1. The ego is the paranoia of intuition. 2. The cocoon of the quantum biofield of philosophy, the aura of emotions and feelings translates from one dimension of thinking to another. 15. 1. Faith is the exoskeleton of success. 2. Selfishness creates abundance, which creates reality in the oblivion of nothingness. 3. The end of the world is a logical death from vicious, childish stupidity. 4. Everything turns into a technological formality, humanity into the politeness of hypocrisy, the technocracy of indifference, everything is the absolute emptiness of robotic consciousness. 5. The scenario of life is a scheme of life like a blueprint of a building, an abstraction of an illusory labyrinth of paradoxes, a space of dimensions of endless karmic confusion. 6. Life is a space of endless emptiness and illusions in it create an abundance of hallucinations and mirages of narcotic feelings of karmic cycles of déjà vu. 7. The way to the highest dimension of thinking is only through love. 8. 1. Life is a hypnosis of illusions. 2. A cry into emptiness, loneliness in the world of egoists, sensual suffering and emotional hell, from painful awareness, you die of awareness and resurrect differently, humility is like the death of a person in a straitjacket. 16. 1. The world is tearing to pieces from billions of egoists, for one joy of the crowd of scavengers of egoists. 2. Rumination of karmic thoughts in reincarnation drives you deeper and deeper into your mind. 3. Silence will turn you into a genius. 4. Amnesia of reincarnation is a karmic regeneration of nostalgia of feelings and emotions. 17. 1. Music of the senses, philosophy of music, you know in one word orgasm from you as if you did get a multi-orgasmic vibration of love that grows every second. Endless immersion in love, deeper and deeper in the subconscious, love intensifies and gives a powerful awareness. 2. The cyclical nature of the infinity of reincarnation and the wheel of samsara leads the matrix of illusions to the absolute madness of vicious childhood. 3. Hypocrisy is a parody of culture and diplomacy. 18. 1. All desires of materialism are meaningless because you will still turn into a toothless raisin. 2. A person who understands too much hears only tinnitus. 3. Karma needs chaos so that the power of karma never ends, therefore power is received by the unworthy. 4. A mixture of good and evil shows sincerity. 5. The rattle of insight. Fear is the umbilical cord of illusion. 6. Revenge is like gluttony, karma cholesterol rises. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
The honeybee makes the honey, and the dirty fly makes the dirt. Which, whatever is that reflects itself. If the dirty fly goes anywhere, it makes the dirt while the honeybee makes the honey. In that context that the squeeze of our mental, intellectual, character, and morals comes to our eyes is the evil people. It is the essence of our nation, and we shall have to taste that until we are not as the honeybee.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for squeeze
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- serrar, esprémer, apretar, estrènyerCatalan, Valencian
- zmáčknout, [[vmáčknout]] seCzech
- trykke, knus, presse, mase, klemme, trangt sted, knugeDanish
- Klemme, pressen, quetschen, zwängen, Engpass, drückenGerman
- apuro, exprimir, crisis, apretarSpanish
- ahtaa, puristus, ahdistaa, puristaa, rypistys, kaivaaFinnish
- serrer, tasser, presser, comprimerFrench
- espremer, apertarGalician
- présel, nyom, beprésel, kiprésel, gyömöszöl, zsúfol, összenyomHungarian
- խցկել, ճզմել, սեղմելArmenian
- spremere, strizzare, serrare, stringereItalian
- 絞る, スクイズ, 押し込める, 搾る, 絞り出す, 板挟み, 板挟みにあう, 押す, 抱きしめ, スクイズする, 締め付ける, 拓本, ギュッとするJapanese
- persen, drukken, klemmen, knijpenDutch
- ałchʼįʼjiinihNavajo, Navaho
- ficante, espremer, apertarPortuguese
- schmatgear, smatger, smaccar, schmacher, schmachar, smatgarRomansh
- strânge, stoarceRomanian
- вти́скивать, вы́жать, пожатие, сда́вливать, выда́вливать, сти́снуть, сдави́ть, сжать, сти́скивать, впихну́ть, вти́снуть, сжима́ть, выжима́ть, впи́хивать, вы́давитьRussian
- tripiare, atipriare, ispremiare, tirpiare, tilpiare, tropiare, trupiareSardinian
- klapp, knipa, tränga, dra, slita, kläm, klämma, krama, kram, lirkaSwedish
Get even more translations for squeeze »
Find a translation for the squeeze definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these squeeze definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"squeeze." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 17 Aug. 2022. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/squeeze>.