speaker, talker, utterer, verbalizer, verbaliser(noun)
someone who expresses in language; someone who talks (especially someone who delivers a public speech or someone especially garrulous)
"the speaker at commencement"; "an utterer of useful maxims"
loudspeaker, speaker, speaker unit, loudspeaker system, speaker system(noun)
electro-acoustic transducer that converts electrical signals into sounds loud enough to be heard at a distance
the presiding officer of a deliberative assembly
"the leader of the majority party is the Speaker of the House of Representatives"
One who speaks.
A native English speaker.
The chair or presiding officer of certain legislative bodies, such as the U.K. House of Commons or the U.S. House of Representatives.
One who makes a speech to an audience.
The company hired a motivational speaker to boost morale.
A book containing passages of text for use in speeches.
The producer of a given utterance, whether actually spoken or not.
one who speaks
one who utters or pronounces a discourse; usually, one who utters a speech in public; as, the man is a good speaker, or a bad speaker
one who is the mouthpiece of others; especially, one who presides over, or speaks for, a delibrative assembly, preserving order and regulating the debates; as, the Speaker of the House of Commons, originally, the mouthpiece of the House to address the king; the Speaker of a House of Representatives
a book of selections for declamation
The term speaker is a title often given to the presiding officer of a deliberative assembly, especially a legislative body. The speaker's official role is to moderate debate, make rulings on procedure, announce the results of votes, and the like. The speaker decides who may speak and has the powers to discipline members who break the procedures of the house. The speaker often also represents the body in person, as the voice of the body in ceremonial and some other situations. The title was first recorded in 1377 to describe the role of Thomas de Hungerford in the Parliament of England. By convention, Speakers are normally addressed in Parliament as Mister Speaker, if a man, or Madam Speaker, if a woman. In most other cultures other styles are used, mainly equivalents of English "chairman" or "president". In Canadian French, the Speaker of the House of Commons or of a legislature is referred to as Président. Many bodies also have a speaker pro tempore or deputy speaker, designated to fill in when the speaker is not available.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'speaker' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1295
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'speaker' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1742
Rank popularity for the word 'speaker' in Nouns Frequency: #441
The numerical value of speaker in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of speaker in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I think Paul would be a great speaker.
The country's better off that you're the speaker.
I like Speaker Ryan. Speaker Ryan worked very hard.
The speaker wants to know how this all got started.
I'm the most anti-establishment speaker we've ever had.
Images & Illustrations of speaker
Translations for speaker
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سماعة, خطيبArabic
- parlant, altaveuCatalan, Valencian
- reproduktor, mluvčí, řečníkCzech
- taler, højttalerDanish
- Lautsprecher, SprecherGerman
- μεγάφωνο, ομιλητής, ρήτορας, πρόεδρος, ηχείοGreek
- laŭtparolilo, parolonto, parolanto, parolintoEsperanto
- altavoz, hablante, orador, oradoraSpanish
- kõneleja, spiiker, kõlar, rääkija, valjuhääldiEstonian
- puhuja, kovaääninen, puhemies, ämyri, kaiutin, kajariFinnish
- parleur, locuteur, président, orateur, haut-parleur, baffleFrench
- altofalante, orador, falante, oradoraGalician
- hangszóró, házelnök, beszélő, szónokHungarian
- orator, parlator, altoparlatorInterlingua
- penutur, pembicaraIndonesian
- presidente, relatore, altoparlante, relatriceItalian
- 話者, 議長, スピーカー, 拡音器Japanese
- kaikōrero, kaiwhaikupu, kaiwhaikōrero, tukuoroMāori
- говорник, спикер, звучник, претседателMacedonian
- speaker, spiker, kelliem, kelliemaMaltese
- høytaler, høyttaler, høgtalerNorwegian
- luidspreker, box, sprekerDutch
- høgtalarNorwegian Nynorsk
- mówca, głośnikPolish
- altifalante, alto-falante, oradora, falante, oradorPortuguese
- vorbitoare, vorbitorRomanian
- динамик, говорящий, колонка, докладчик, носитель, оратор, спикер, громкоговорительRussian
- govornik, govornica, zvočnik, govorec, predsednik, govorka, predsednicaSlovene
- ordförande, högtalare, föredragande, talman, föreläsare, talare, presidentSwedish
- spiker, konuşmacı, sunucu, hoparlör, kolonTurkish
Get even more translations for speaker »
Find a translation for the speaker definition in other languages:
Select another language: