astute, sharp, shrewd(adj)
marked by practical hardheaded intelligence
"a smart businessman"; "an astute tenant always reads the small print in a lease"; "he was too shrewd to go along with them on a road that could lead only to their overthrow"
calculating, calculative, conniving, scheming, shrewd(adj)
used of persons
"the most calculating and selfish men in the community"
showing clever resourcefulness in practical matters
artful, tricky or cunning
Origin: From shrewe. See shrew
inclining to shrew; disposing to curse or scold; hence, vicious; malicious; evil; wicked; mischievous; vexatious; rough; unfair; shrewish
artful; wily; cunning; arch
able or clever in practical affairs; sharp in business; astute; sharp-witted; sagacious; keen; as, a shrewd observer; a shrewd design; a shrewd reply
The numerical value of shrewd in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of shrewd in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The shrewd may gain temporarily, but the wise gain permanently.
A talent somewhat above mediocrity, shrewd and not too sensitive, is more likely to rise in the world than genius.
They moved mountains to persuade our board. They moved quickly and were incredibly shrewd in how they worked with us to get a deal done quickly.
There's a limit to what even a shrewd negotiator or professional like Lisa can do, some of these things will have to be resolved by the president and members of Congress directly.
Be mild with the mild, shrewd with the crafty, confiding to the honest, rough to the ruffian, and a thunderbolt to the liar. But in all this, never be unmindful of your own dignity.
Images & Illustrations of shrewd
Translations for shrewd
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ناصح, نبيه, حاذق, داهيةArabic
- snu, listig, fiffig, klogDanish
- gerissen, schlau, gewieft, klug, listig, pfiffig, clever, raffiniert, gewitztGerman
- näpparä, kätevä, nokkelaFinnish
- perspicace, malin, futé, sagace, habile, avisé, roublard, astucieuxFrench
- seòlta, glicScottish Gaelic
- perspicace, scaltro, sveglioItalian
- 賢明, 賢い, 抜け目, 狡猾Japanese
- sagaz, perspicazPortuguese
- знать, хитрый, расчётливый, умелый, проницательный, практичный, находчивыйRussian
- fiffig, listig, slug, klok, finurligSwedish
Get even more translations for shrewd »
Find a translation for the shrewd definition in other languages:
Select another language: