radiance, radiancy, shine, effulgence, refulgence, refulgency(verb)
the quality of being bright and sending out rays of light
be bright by reflecting or casting light
"Drive carefully--the wet road reflects"
emit light; be bright, as of the sun or a light
"The sun shone bright that day"; "The fire beamed on their faces"
glitter, glisten, glint, gleam, shine(verb)
be shiny, as if wet
"His eyes were glistening"
be distinguished or eminent
"His talent shines"
be clear and obvious
"A shining example"
glow, beam, radiate, shine(verb)
have a complexion with a strong bright color, such as red or pink
"Her face glowed when she came out of the sauna"
throw or flash the light of (a lamp)
"Shine the light on that window, please"
fall, shine, strike(verb)
touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
"Light fell on her face"; "The sun shone on the fields"; "The light struck the golden necklace"; "A strange sound struck my ears"
glow, beam, radiate, shine(verb)
experience a feeling of well-being or happiness, as from good health or an intense emotion
"She was beaming with joy"; "Her face radiated with happiness"
polish, smooth, smoothen, shine(verb)
make (a surface) shine
"shine the silver, please"; "polish my shoes"
Brightness from a source of light.
Brightness from reflected light.
Excellence in quality or appearance.
The amount of shininess on a cricket ball, or on each side of the ball.
To emit light.
To reflect light.
To distinguish oneself; to excel.
My nephew tried other sports before deciding on football, which he shined at right away, quickly becoming the star of his school team.
To be immediately apparent.
To polish (something).
He shined my shoes until they were polished smooth and gleaming.
To polish a cricket ball using saliva and one's clothing.
To create light with a flashlight, lamp, torch, etc.
I shined my light into the darkness to see what was making the noise.
Origin: scīnan, from skīnanan. Cognate with Dutch schijnen, German scheinen, Swedish skina.
to emit rays of light; to give light; to beam with steady radiance; to exhibit brightness or splendor; as, the sun shines by day; the moon shines by night
to be bright by reflection of light; to gleam; to be glossy; as, to shine like polished silver
to be effulgent in splendor or beauty
to be eminent, conspicuous, or distinguished; to exhibit brilliant intellectual powers; as, to shine in courts; to shine in conversation
to cause to shine, as a light
to make bright; to cause to shine by reflected light; as, in hunting, to shine the eyes of a deer at night by throwing a light on them
the quality or state of shining; brightness; luster, gloss; polish; sheen
sunshine; fair weather
a liking for a person; a fancy
caper; antic; row
Origin: [OE. shinen, schinen, AS. scnan; akin to D. schijnen, OFries. skna, OS. & OHG. scnan, G. scheinen, Icel. skna, Sw. skina, Dan. skinne, Goth. skeinan, and perh. to Gr. shadow. 157. Cf. Sheer pure, and Shimmer.]
SHINE is a nationwide festival in Singapore "by youth, for youth' and is jointly supported by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports and the National Youth Council. Inaugurated in 2005, SHINE aims to: ⁕Showcase and develop youth talent and skills ⁕Facilitate and profile youth community contribution ⁕Project a positive youth image and profile young role models Youth aged 15–35 can sign up as participants, SHINE volunteers or realize their ideas through grants. Over 200,000 youth were part of SHINE 2007’s wide assortment of activities.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
shīn, v.i. to beam with steady radiance: to glitter: to be bright or beautiful: to be eminent.—v.t. to cause to shine:—pa.t. and pa.p. shone (shon), (B.) shīned.—adj. (Spens.) bright.—n. brightness: splendour: fair weather: (slang) disturbance, row, a trick.—n. Shī′ner, that which shines: (slang) a coin, esp. a sovereign: a small American fresh-water fish.—adj. Shī′ning.—adv. Shī′ningly.—n. Shī′ningness.—adj. Shī′ny, clear, unclouded: glossy.—Cause, or Make, the face to shine (B.), to be propitious; Take the shine out of (slang), to outshine, eclipse. [A.S. scínan; Ger. scheinen.]
Song lyrics by shine -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by shine on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'shine' in Verbs Frequency: #675
The numerical value of shine in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of shine in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Examples of shine in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of shine
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for shine
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- brillantor, lluentor, lluir, lluïssor, brillarCatalan, Valencian
- skinne, glimte, brillans, lyse, stråle, glimre, brillere, skin, glans, pudse, polere, blankeDanish
- Brillanz, Glanz, leuchten, Schein, Bravour, scheinen, glänzen, polieren, bohnernGerman
- poluro, briliEsperanto
- brillo, brillar, lucirSpanish
- loiste, paiste, kirkkaus, valo, loistaa, paistaa, loistavuus, kiiltää, paistaa silmään, loistokkuus, hohde, hohtaa, helottaa, loisteliaisuus, erottua, kiillottaa, puleerataFinnish
- éclat, briller, luireFrench
- deàlraich, boillsg, deàrrs, lìomhScottish Gaelic
- brillo, brillantez, brillar, lucir, coruscar, resplandecer, relucirGalician
- փայլել, փայլArmenian
- risplendere, splendere, brillareItalian
- 輝き, 卓越, 輝く, 目立つ, 照らす, 光, 光る, 磨くJapanese
- 비치다, 비추다, 빛나다Korean
- nitere, emineo, anteeo, antecedo, excello, lūceō, polio, expolio, levigo, tergeo, luceatLatin
- schéngenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- straling, bravoure, stralen, glanzen, voor de hand liggen, schijn, glans, uitmuntendheid, schijnen, blinken, uitblinken, polieren, opblinkenDutch
- lusejar, lusirOccitan
- esplendor, brilhar, cintilar, sobressair, brilho, luzir, resplandecer, lustrar, polirPortuguese
- k'anchay, illay, llimphiyQuechua
- tarlischar, glüschir, traglischar, glischar, glischear, targlischierRomansh
- strălucire, luciu, luci, lumina, lustru, străluci, lustruiRomanian
- свет, сияние, светить, сиять, блестеть, блеск, светиться, блистать, полировать, чиститьRussian
- lúgere, luxi, lúchereSardinian
- sijati, svetitiSlovene
- glans, finish, stråla, reflektera, glänsa, sken, polish, lysa, skina, blänka, lysande, lysa i ögonen, putsa, poleraSwedish
- ప్రకాశము, మెరుపు, మెరియు, వెలిగిపోవు, ప్రకాశించుTelugu
- چمکنا, جگمگانا, جهلملانا, چمکUrdu
- soi sáng, tỏa sáng, chiếu sángVietnamese
Get even more translations for shine »
Find a translation for the shine definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)