scapegoat, whipping boy(noun)
someone who is punished for the errors of others
In the Mosaic Day of Atonement ritual, a goat symbolically imbued with the sins of the people, and sent out alive into the wilderness while another was sacrificed.
Someone punished for the error or errors of someone else.
He is making me a scapegoat.
To punish someone for the error or errors of someone else; to make a scapegoat of.
To blame something for the problems of a given society without evidence to back up the claim.
a goat upon whose head were symbolically placed the sins of the people, after which he was suffered to escape into the wilderness
hence, a person or thing that is made to bear blame for others
Origin: [Scape (for escape) + goat.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
skāp′gōt, n. a goat on which, once a year, the Jewish high-priest laid symbolically the sins of the people, and which was then allowed to escape into the wilderness (Levit. xvi.): one who is made to bear the misdeeds of another. [Escape and goat.]
The numerical value of scapegoat in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of scapegoat in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Some find Jews to be a convenient scapegoat rather than looking at the real source of their problems.
I will not allow Bridget Anne Kelly to be the scapegoat in this case, and I look very much forward to the appeal.
I am not going to let them use Steve as a scapegoat to score political points when I know him and know his family.
Clearly there are problems at NOAA and NWS, but Mr. Jiron should not be the scapegoat for NOAA's broader problems.
Find a scapegoat is wanting to destroy the ruins. (Trouver un bouc émissaire, - C'est vouloir les ruines détruire.)
Images & Illustrations of scapegoat
Translations for scapegoat
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- كبش فداءArabic
- obětní beránekCzech
- Sündenbock, PrügelknabeGerman
- αποδιοπομπαίος τράγος, εξιλαστήριο θύμαGreek
- propeka kaproEsperanto
- cabeza de turco, chivo expiatorioSpanish
- syntipukki, syy, sysätäFinnish
- quelqu'un, faire, utiliser, bouc émissaireFrench
- שעיר לעזאזלHebrew
- kambing hitamIndonesian
- capro espiatorio, fare da capro espiatorio, capro emissarioItalian
- 贖罪の山羊, 身代わり, 生贄, スケープゴートJapanese
- SënnebockLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- atpirkimo ožysLithuanian
- kozioł ofiarnyPolish
- bode expiatório, [[fazer]] [[de]] [[bode expiatório]]Portuguese
- козёл отпуще́ния, мальчик для битья, делать козлом отпущения, стре́лочникRussian
- жртвени јарац, žrtveno janje, жртвено јање, žrtveni jaracSerbo-Croatian
- günah keçisi, şamar oğlanıTurkish
- козел відпущенняUkrainian
Get even more translations for scapegoat »
Find a translation for the scapegoat definition in other languages:
Select another language: