restrain, keep, keep back, hold back(verb)
keep under control; keep in check
"suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool"
restrict, restrain, trammel, limit, bound, confine, throttle(verb)
place limits on (extent or access)
"restrict the use of this parking lot"; "limit the time you can spend with your friends"
restrain, confine, hold(verb)
to close within bounds, limit or hold back from movement
"This holds the local until the express passengers change trains"; "About a dozen animals were held inside the stockade"; "The illegal immigrants were held at a detention center"; "The terrorists held the journalists for ransom"
restrain, encumber, cumber, constrain(verb)
to compel or deter by or as if by threats
To control or keep in check.
To deprive of liberty.
To restrict or limit.
Origin: restraindre, from restringo
to draw back again; to hold back from acting, proceeding, or advancing, either by physical or moral force, or by any interposing obstacle; to repress or suppress; to keep down; to curb
to draw back toghtly, as a rein
to hinder from unlimited enjoiment; to abridge
to limit; to confine; to restrict
to withhold; to forbear
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
rē-strān′, v.t. to hold back: to check: to withhold, to forbid: to hinder: to limit.—adj. Restrain′able, capable of being restrained.—adv. Restrain′edly.—n. Restrain′er (phot.), a chemical used to retard the act of the developer in an overexposed plate, &c.—p.adj. Restrain′ing.—ns. Restrain′ment; Restraint′, act of restraining: state of being restrained: want of liberty: limitation: hinderance: reserve; Restraint′-bed, -chair, used for the insane. [O. Fr. restraindre—L. restringĕre, restrictum—re-, back, stringĕre, to draw tightly.]
The numerical value of restrain in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of restrain in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Examples of restrain in a Sentence
I take it as a man's duty to restrain himself.
Never, for fear of feeble man, restrain your witness.
I think we should not restrain the President of the United States.
It is the failing of youth not to be able to restrain its own violence.
They must know that 'heaven sees all', but they can't restrain themselves.
Images & Illustrations of restrain
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for restrain
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- zbavit svobody, provést restrikci, mít pod kontrolou, omezit, oklešťovat, restringovatCzech
- eingrenzen, behindern, einschränken, abgrenzen, zügeln, begrenzenGerman
- reprimir, restringir, retenerSpanish
- hillitä, kukistaa, hallita, rajoittaa, pidättääFinnish
- retenir, restreindre, réprimerFrench
- srianScottish Gaelic
- ridurre, restringere, trattenere, contenere, trattenersi, delimitare, limitare, sorvegliareItalian
- whakatina, whakaita, of own feelingsMāori
- deter, encarcerar, conter, reprimir, coibir, restringirPortuguese
- a deține, îngrădi, a ține închis,, împiedica, reține, opri, restrângeRomanian
- ограничить, задерживать, [[лишать]] [[свобода, ограничивать, сдержать, обуздать, задержать, обуздывать, сдерживать, заключить, [[лишить]] [[свобода, заключатьRussian
Get even more translations for restrain »
Find a translation for the restrain definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)