an unincorporated business owned by a single person who is responsible for its liabilities and entitled to its profits
protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights
"`Tylenol' is a proprietary drug of which `acetaminophen' is the generic form"
Of or relating to property or ownership, as proprietary rights.
Of or relating to the quality of being an owner, as the proprietary class.
Manufactured exclusively by the owner of intellectual property rights (IPR), as with a patent or trade secret.
The continuous profitability of the company is based on its many proprietary products.
Privately owned, as a proprietary lake.
Possessive, jealous, or territorial.
Origin: From propriétaire, from proprietarius. Compare with the Latin proprietas, and proprius.
a proprietor or owner; one who has exclusive title to a thing; one who possesses, or holds the title to, a thing in his own right
a body proprietors, taken collectively
a monk who had reserved goods and effects to himself, notwithstanding his renunciation of all at the time of profession
belonging, or pertaining, to a proprietor; considered as property; owned; as, proprietary medicine
Origin: [L. proprietarius: cf. F. propritaire. See Propriety, and cf. Proprietor.]
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. In marketroid-speak, superior; implies a product imbued with exclusive magic by the unmatched brilliance of the company's own hardware or software designers. 2. In the language of hackers and users, inferior; implies a product not conforming to open-systems standards, and thus one that puts the customer at the mercy of a vendor able to gouge freely on service and upgrade charges after the initial sale has locked the customer in. Often used in the phrase “proprietary crap”. 3. Synonym for closed-source or non-free, e.g. software issued without license rights permitting the public to independently review, develop and redistribute it.Proprietary software should be distinguished from commercial software. It is possible for software to be commercial (that is, intended to make a profit for the producers) without being proprietary. The reverse is also possible, for example in binary-only freeware.
The numerical value of proprietary in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of proprietary in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of proprietary in a Sentence
It is standard practice for proprietary data feeds to provide more granular order level information than consolidated feed.
Before, economists used to work on public data, and now, if they want to study behavior, the tech companies have it, and it's proprietary.
By using their own proprietary delivery platforms with other prostaglandin drugs they could become major competitors to Allergan in the future.
If Hillary Clinton had won, and Affordable Care Act was protected -- I feel very proprietary about Affordable Care Act -- I was happy to go my way.
This is a very unusual IAEA verification approach, which has no reason to be confidential unless a very special reason - proprietary, economic or security - calls for it.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for proprietary
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- de propiedad, propietarioSpanish
- omistus, alkuperäis-, oma, alkuperäinen, omistava, omistajaFinnish
- proprietar, de proprietateRomanian
- проприетарный, собственнический, частный, приватный, патентованныйRussian
- originalan, vlasnički, licenciranSerbo-Croatian
- độc quyềnVietnamese
Get even more translations for proprietary »
Find a translation for the proprietary definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Discuss these proprietary definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"proprietary." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2019. Web. 17 Nov. 2019. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/proprietary>.