Definitions for phone
Here are all the possible meanings and translations of the word phone.
telephone, phone, telephone setnoun
electronic equipment that converts sound into electrical signals that can be transmitted over distances and then converts received signals back into sounds
"I talked to him on the telephone"
phone, speech sound, soundnoun
(phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
earphone, earpiece, headphone, phonenoun
electro-acoustic transducer for converting electric signals into sounds; it is held over or inserted into the ear
"it was not the typing but the earphones that she disliked"
call, telephone, call up, phone, ringverb
get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone
"I tried to call you all night"; "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning"
To get or try to get into communication with, using a telephone; as, I phoned him this morning.
A speech segment that possesses distinct physical or perceptual properties, considered as a physical event without regard to its place in the phonology of a language.
Etymology: Shortening of telephone.
In phonetics and linguistics a phone is a unit of speech sound. The word phone may refer to any speech sound or gesture considered a physical event without regard to its place in the phonology of a language. In contrast, a phoneme is a set of phones or a set of sound features that are thought of as the same element within the phonology of a particular language. A phone is a speech segment that possesses distinct physical or perceptual properties, and serves as the basic unit of phonetic speech analysis. A phonetic transcription is enclosed within square brackets, rather than the slashes of a phonemic transcription.
The Standard Electrical Dictionary
Colloquial abbreviation for telephone.
A type of device and product created and designed in various colors, materials, mechanisms, software, technology, shapes, sizes and styles.
There are various phones available in 2020 some are smartphones, mobile phones, handsets for businesses and various other types.
Submitted by MaryC on April 8, 2020
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'phone' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1907
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'phone' in Written Corpus Frequency: #595
Rank popularity for the word 'phone' in Nouns Frequency: #662
Rank popularity for the word 'phone' in Verbs Frequency: #559
The numerical value of phone in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of phone in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
I handed him my phone. So, he watches it, comes back in, gives me the phone and he says,' I think I just watched a murder,'.
It seems like people don't feel as comfortable to make phone calls when they are in quarantine with others.
I woke up and there was a message on my phone( saying) the whole city was on lockdown.
He's great, he's going through his phone, showing us pictures of his dog, his granddaughter. He seems very personable, down to earth.
The video was to empower her ! But ended up impacting the world, it was surreal when she shared it. I got a phone call about it, I didn't even know. I was driving at the time and had to pull over and process everything.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for phone
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- هاتف, تلفن, تلفونArabic
- пазваніць, тэлефанаваць, тэлефон, званіць, патэлефанавацьBelarusian
- telèfonCatalan, Valencian
- telefonovat, telefon, hláska, volatCzech
- ffôn, ffonioWelsh
- Fonem, Fernsprecher, anrufen, Telefon, Phonem, Telephon, telefonierenGerman
- καλώ, τηλέφωνο, τηλεφωνώGreek
- telefono, telefoniEsperanto
- teléfono, telefonear, fono, llamar por teléfonoSpanish
- foon, häälikEstonian
- تلفن, دورواژیدن, تلفن کردن, دورواژPersian
- puhelin, äänne, soittaaFinnish
- téléphone, phone, téléphoner, appelerFrench
- foghar, fónIrish
- foghar, fònScottish Gaelic
- pumbyry, mopumbyryGuaraní
- दूरभाष, फ़ोन करना, फ़ोन, टेलीफ़ोनHindi
- telefon, telefonálHungarian
- հեռախոս, զանգելArmenian
- telephono, telephonarInterlingua
- sími, hringjaIcelandic
- telefono, fono, telefonareItalian
- 電話をかける, 音韻, 電話する, 電話, 音素Japanese
- 전화, 전화하다, 電話, 전화를 걸다Korean
- Telefon, telefonéieren, Telephon, uruffenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- skambinti, telefonasLithuanian
- telefonēt, telefons, tālrunis, zvanīt, piezvanītLatvian
- telefoneren, telefoonDutch
- béésh bee haneʼéNavajo, Navaho
- telefon, głoska, dzwonić, telefonowaćPolish
- telefonar, telefone, chamarPortuguese
- телефон, фо́на, звонить, фоне́ма, позвонить, телефонироватьRussian
- ڏُور وايو, ڏُور وائڻُSindhi
- telefón, telefonovať, zatelefonovať, volať, zavolaťSlovak
- mohala, telefonoSouthern Sotho
- ringa, telefonera, telefon, fonSwedish
- โทรศัพท์, โทรThai
- telefon etmekTurkish
- телефон, дзвонити, подзвонитиUkrainian
- فون کرنا, ٹیلیفون, فونUrdu
- 電話, dây nói, kêu điện thoại, điện thoại, gọi điện thoại, gọi điệnVietnamese
Get even more translations for phone »
Find a translation for the phone definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these phone definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"phone." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 7 Dec. 2022. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/phone>.