other than as supposed or expected
"the outcome was otherwise"
in other respects or ways
"he is otherwise normal"; "the funds are not otherwise available"; "an otherwise hopeless situation"
differently, otherwise, other than(adverb)
in another and different manner
"very soon you will know differently"; "she thought otherwise"; "there is no way out other than the fire escape";
Differently, in another way.
You may be right, but I think otherwise.
In different circumstances; or else.
In all other respects.
He prayed to Neptune every day. Otherwise he behaved rationally.
Other than supposed, different.
He said he didn't do it, but the evidence was otherwise.
Song lyrics by otherwise -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by otherwise on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'otherwise' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1233
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'otherwise' in Written Corpus Frequency: #909
Rank popularity for the word 'otherwise' in Adverbs Frequency: #115
The numerical value of otherwise in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of otherwise in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Examples of otherwise in a Sentence
What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do…?
You now have lower leverage with lower interest costs, which will keep defaults more subdued than you otherwise would have seen.
She was raised by her mother to embrace her blackness in a world that otherwise denigrates any connection to blackness.
We need to start a fresh conversation. If there are elements that work, we can maintain and strengthen those aspects. Otherwise, we need to thoroughly re-evaluate and re-think immigration enforcement.
Our argument is that they strengthen feelings of control and confidence that may otherwise be lacking.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for otherwise
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عكس ذلكArabic
- altramentCatalan, Valencian
- sonst, ansonsten, andernfalls, andersGerman
- alikaze, aliokaze, alimaniereEsperanto
- si no, por lo demás, de otra manera, por otra parte, fuera de eso, aparte de esto, de lo contrarioSpanish
- در غیر این صورتPersian
- muutoin, muuten, toisinFinnish
- sinon, autrement, pour le resteFrench
- a chaochladhScottish Gaelic
- नहीं तोHindi
- a parte ciò, per altri aspetti, in altre circostanze, differentementeItalian
- 他の点では, その他, さもなくばJapanese
- anders, anderszinsDutch
- poza tym, inaczejPolish
- [[de]] [[outra]] [[forma]]/[[maneira]], diferente, no mais, diferentemente, contrário, [[fora]] [[isso]], senão, em contrário, [[de]] [[outro]] [[jeito]]/[[modo]]Portuguese
- в прочем, иначе, в других отношениях, в противном случаеRussian
- i övrigt, annars, annorlunda, i annat fallSwedish
- aksi takdirdeTurkish
Get even more translations for otherwise »
Find a translation for the otherwise definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)