opposition, opponent, opposite(noun)
a contestant that you are matched against
adversary, antagonist, opponent, opposer, resister(adj)
someone who offers opposition
characterized by active hostility
"opponent (or opposing) armies"
An individual or group who is a rival of another.
One who attempts to stop the progression of.
One who objects to.
In team sports, a player of an opposite team.
Origin: from opponere, to oppose
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ō-pō′nent, adj. opposing in action, speech, &c.: placed in front.—n. one who opposes.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'opponent' in Nouns Frequency: #1360
The numerical value of opponent in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of opponent in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Examples of opponent in a Sentence
Clearly I favor her opponent.
Never ascribe to an opponent motives meaner than your own.
Remember, I did win more than 3 million votes than my opponent.
You can absolutely lay your opponent out without saying a bad word.
It is not your opponent but your weaknesses that hurt you the most.
Images & Illustrations of opponent
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for opponent
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- oponentCatalan, Valencian
- protihráč, protivník, oponentCzech
- Gegenspieler, GegnerGerman
- opoziciulo, kontraŭuloEsperanto
- opponentti, vastaväittäjä, vastustaja, vastaehdokasFinnish
- mótherji, andstæðingurIcelandic
- oppositore, oppositriceItalian
- 敵, 相手Japanese
- 相對, 상대Korean
- соперник, противникMacedonian
- opponent, tegenstanderDutch
- przeciwniczka, przeciwnik, oponentka, oponentPolish
- oponente, adversário, rivalPortuguese
- oponent, adversarRomanian
- противник, оппонентRussian
- oponent, protivnikSerbo-Croatian
- ప్రత్యర్థి, వ్యతిరేకిTelugu
- rakip, karşıtTurkish
- 對手, đối thủVietnamese
Get even more translations for opponent »
Find a translation for the opponent definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)