baleful, forbidding, menacing, minacious, minatory, ominous, sinister, threatening(adj)
threatening or foreshadowing evil or tragic developments
"a baleful look"; "forbidding thunderclouds"; "his tone became menacing"; "ominous rumblings of discontent"; "sinister storm clouds"; "a sinister smile"; "his threatening behavior"; "ugly black clouds"; "the situation became ugly"
ill, inauspicious, ominous(adj)
presaging ill fortune
"ill omens"; "ill predictions"; "my words with inauspicious thunderings shook heaven"- P.B.Shelley; "a dead and ominous silence prevailed"; "a by-election at a time highly unpropitious for the Government"
Of or pertaining to an omen or to omens; being or exhibiting an omen; significant.
Specifically, giving indication of a coming ill; being an evil omen; threatening; portentous; inauspicious.
Origin: From ominosus, from omen, from os + -men
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
om′in-us, adj. pertaining to, or containing, an omen: foreboding evil: inauspicious.—adv. Om′inously.—n. Om′inousness.
The numerical value of ominous in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of ominous in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
For an idea ever to be fashionable is ominous, since it must afterwards be always old-fashioned.
But I doubt it's finished ... This silence is ominous. It's almost as unnerving as the rockets landing.
Animals like crows, owls or black cats are not ominous at all; it is the men's superstitious mind which is the inauspicious one!
Our discussions were based on how to bring under control and eliminate those ominous phenomena which are obstacles to stability, prosperity and cooperation in the region.
We don't think it will detract from the possibility that the Fed is considering a September rate hike, only if we saw ominous signs of a deterioration elsewhere in the data.
Images & Illustrations of ominous
Translations for ominous
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- злокобен, зловещBulgarian
- ominósCatalan, Valencian
- uheldsvanger, ildevarslende, varslendeDanish
- unheilsschwanger, ominös, bedrohlichGerman
- ominosa, ominoso, siniestroSpanish
- kurjakuulutav, pahaendelineEstonian
- enteellinen, uhkaava, pahaenteinenFinnish
- sinistre, menaçant, de mauvais augureFrench
- baljós, ominózus, baljóslatúHungarian
- infausto, malaugurante, predittivoItalian
- złowróżbny, złowieszczyPolish
- agourento, ominosoPortuguese
- зловещий, предвещающийRussian
- illavarslande, olycksbådandeSwedish
- అశుభసూచకమైన, అరిష్ట సూచకమైనTelugu
- kara, meşum, uğursuzTurkish
- зловіщий, пророчий, провісницькийUkrainian
Get even more translations for ominous »
Find a translation for the ominous definition in other languages:
Select another language: