happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place(verb)
come to pass
"What is happening?"; "The meeting took place off without an incidence"; "Nothing occurred that seemed important"
come to one's mind; suggest itself
"It occurred to me that we should hire another secretary"; "A great idea then came to her"
to be found to exist
"sexism occurs in many workplaces"; "precious stones occur in a large area in Brazil"
To come to the mind; to arise in the mind; to suggest itself; to be presented to the imagination or memory; -- of an idea or thought; as, it never occurred to me to call John to ask.
Origin: [L. occurrere, occursum; ob (see Ob-) + currere to run. See Course.]
To happen or take place.
The liftoff will occur in exactly twelve seconds.
To present or offer itself.
I will write if the opportunity occurs.
To come or be presented to the mind; to suggest itself.
To be present or found.
The chemical monofluoroacetate occurs in all parts of Dichapetalum cymosum, and is responsible for its toxic effects.
Origin: Originally "meet, meet in argument", from occurrer, from occurro from prefix ob- + verb curro.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
o-kur′, v.i. to come or be presented to the mind: to happen: to appear: to be found here and there: to coincide in time:—pr.p. occur′ring; pa.p. occurred′.—ns. Occur′rence, anything that occurs: an event, esp. one unlooked for or unplanned: occasional presentation; Occur′rent, one who comes to meet another: (B.) an occurrence or chance.—adj. (B.) coming in the way. [Fr.,—L. occurrĕre—ob, towards, currĕre, to run.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1818
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3274
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Verbs Frequency: #142
The numerical value of occur in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of occur in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Examples of occur in a Sentence
True life is lived when tiny changes occur.
Accidents will occur in the best regulated families.
It’s something that shouldn’t be allowed to occur.
Life is the definition you give to events that occur."
It is too early to state whether any transaction may occur.
Images & Illustrations of occur
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for occur
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- stát se, se, napadnout, udát se, odehrát se, dít se, nastatCzech
- vorkommen, in den Sinn kommen, passieren, einfallen, auftretenGerman
- ocurrir, tincar, presentarSpanish
- meenuma, esinema, tekkimaEstonian
- tapahtua, juolahtaa, tulla mieleen, esiintyä, sattua, mieli, tarjoutuaFinnish
- produire, présenter, avoir lieu, venir à l'idée, arriver, passer, retrouverFrench
- tachair, buail air, buail an ceannScottish Gaelic
- पाए जाते हैंHindi
- eszébe jut, előfordul, megtalálhatóHungarian
- 思い浮かぶ, ある, 起こるJapanese
- ڕێکهوتن, ڕوودانKurdish
- evenio, cado, subeo, supervenio, occurro, accido, incidoLatin
- afalenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- се јавува, се појавува, текнува, се среќаваMacedonian
- voordoen, gebeuren, invallen, verschijnen, plaatsvinden, zich, aanbieden, voorkomen, opkomenDutch
- inntreffe, forekommeNorwegian
- wydarzać się, występować, wydarzyć sięPolish
- ocorrer, encontrar, acontecerPortuguese
- приходить в головуRussian
- pasti na pametSerbo-Croatian
- ske, äga rum, förekomma, händaSwedish
- olmak, hatırlamak, hazır olmak, aklına gelmekTurkish
- ariver, sorvini, aspiter, si troverWalloon
Get even more translations for occur »
Find a translation for the occur definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)