agile, nimble, quick, spry(adj)
moving quickly and lightly
"sleek and agile as a gymnast"; "as nimble as a deer"; "nimble fingers"; "quick of foot"; "the old dog was so spry it was halfway up the stairs before we could stop it"
"an agile mind"; "nimble wits"
Quick and light in movement or action.
He was too nimble for the assailant and easily escaped his grasp.
Quick-witted and alert.
She has a nimble mind and can improvise in any situation.
Origin: From nymel, nemel, merger of næmel and numol, both from niman + -el, -ol. Compare German nehmen Gothic 033D0339033C0330033D, Old Norse nema. More at nim.
light and quick in motion; moving with ease and celerity; lively; swift
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
nim′bl, adj. light and quick in motion: active: swift.—adjs. Nim′ble-fing′ered, skilful with the fingers, thievish; Nim′ble-foot′ed, swift of foot.—ns. Nim′bleness, Nim′bless (Spens.), quickness of motion either in body or mind.—adj. Nim′ble-wit′ted, quick-witted.—adv. Nim′bly. [M. E. nimel—A.S. niman, to catch; cf. Ger. nehmen.]
The numerical value of nimble in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of nimble in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Examples of nimble in a Sentence
We need mobile forces nimble enough to come to the assistance of others.
They are fast and nimble and a great piece of American ingenuity used in the war.
We keep talking nimble, flexible. Two years is like ancient now. That's being reviewed.
This will not be quick. This is a long-term campaign. (ISIS) is opportunistic and it is nimble.
Small companies are more nimble, so it’s easy to stay more closely attached to your purpose and values.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for nimble
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- àgilCatalan, Valencian
- behänd, gelenkig, wendig, flink, schnellGerman
- εύστροφος, σβέλτος, ευκίνητοςGreek
- ágil, hábilSpanish
- valpas, nopeaälyinen, vikkelä, ketteräFinnish
- fulgurant, vive, preste, leste, agile, vifFrench
- fürge, ötletes, okos, gyors, hajlékonyHungarian
- pronto, leggero, sveglio, svelto, intelligente, agile, versatileItalian
- inops agili peragitLatin
- kamakama, tūkawikawi, kakamaMāori
- alert, behendig, gevat, wendbaar, spits, lichtvoetigDutch
- kjapp, raskNorwegian
- ágil, ligeiro, espertoPortuguese
- прово́рный, бы́стрый, ло́вкий, сообрази́тельный, шу́стрый, нахо́дчивый, вёрткийRussian
- lätt, vaken, snabbtänkt, snabb, kvick, smidig, livlig, flink, vig, pigg, ledigSwedish
- çevik, açıkgöz, çabukluk, atikTurkish
Get even more translations for nimble »
Find a translation for the nimble definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)