agile, nimble, quick, spry(adj)
moving quickly and lightly
"sleek and agile as a gymnast"; "as nimble as a deer"; "nimble fingers"; "quick of foot"; "the old dog was so spry it was halfway up the stairs before we could stop it"
"an agile mind"; "nimble wits"
Quick and light in movement or action.
He was too nimble for the assailant and easily escaped his grasp.
Quick-witted and alert.
She has a nimble mind and can improvise in any situation.
Origin: From nymel, nemel, merger of næmel and numol, both from niman + -el, -ol. Compare German nehmen Gothic 033D0339033C0330033D, Old Norse nema. More at nim.
light and quick in motion; moving with ease and celerity; lively; swift
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
nim′bl, adj. light and quick in motion: active: swift.—adjs. Nim′ble-fing′ered, skilful with the fingers, thievish; Nim′ble-foot′ed, swift of foot.—ns. Nim′bleness, Nim′bless (Spens.), quickness of motion either in body or mind.—adj. Nim′ble-wit′ted, quick-witted.—adv. Nim′bly. [M. E. nimel—A.S. niman, to catch; cf. Ger. nehmen.]
How to say nimble in sign language?
The numerical value of nimble in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of nimble in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Examples of nimble in a Sentence
We need mobile forces nimble enough to come to the assistance of others.
They are fast and nimble and a great piece of American ingenuity used in the war.
We keep talking nimble, flexible. Two years is like ancient now. That's being reviewed.
This will not be quick. This is a long-term campaign. (ISIS) is opportunistic and it is nimble.
Small companies are more nimble, so it’s easy to stay more closely attached to your purpose and values.
Images & Illustrations of nimble
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for nimble
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- àgilCatalan, Valencian
- behänd, gelenkig, wendig, flink, schnellGerman
- εύστροφος, σβέλτος, ευκίνητοςGreek
- ágil, hábilSpanish
- valpas, nopeaälyinen, vikkelä, ketteräFinnish
- fulgurant, vive, preste, leste, agile, vifFrench
- fürge, ötletes, okos, gyors, hajlékonyHungarian
- pronto, leggero, sveglio, svelto, intelligente, agile, versatileItalian
- inops agili peragitLatin
- kamakama, tūkawikawi, kakamaMāori
- alert, behendig, gevat, wendbaar, spits, lichtvoetigDutch
- kjapp, raskNorwegian
- ágil, ligeiro, espertoPortuguese
- прово́рный, бы́стрый, ло́вкий, сообрази́тельный, шу́стрый, нахо́дчивый, вёрткийRussian
- lätt, vaken, snabbtänkt, snabb, kvick, smidig, livlig, flink, vig, pigg, ledigSwedish
- çevik, açıkgöz, çabukluk, atikTurkish
Get even more translations for nimble »
Find a translation for the nimble definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)