vicinity, locality, neighborhood, neighbourhood, neck of the woods(noun)
a surrounding or nearby region
"the plane crashed in the vicinity of Asheville"; "it is a rugged locality"; "he always blames someone else in the immediate neighborhood"; "I will drop in on you the next time I am in this neck of the woods"
people living near one another
"it is a friendly neighborhood"; "my neighborhood voted for Bush"
the approximate amount of something (usually used prepositionally as in `in the region of')
"it was going to take in the region of two or three months to finish the job"; "the price is in the neighborhood of $100"
an area within a city or town that has some distinctive features (especially one forming a community)
"an ethnic neighborhood"
The quality of being a neighbor, living nearby, next to each-other
Our neighborhood was our only reason to exchange hollow greetings
A nearby area.
The inhabitants of a residential area.
The fire alarmed the neighborhood.
A division of a municipality or region, formally or informally divided
We have just moved to a pleasant neighborhood
The quality of physical proximity.
The slums and the palace were in awful neighborhood.
The disposition becoming a neighbor; neighborly kindness or good will.
The neighborhood of a point x is... (depending on the author):
the quality or condition of being a neighbor; the state of being or dwelling near; proximity
a place near; vicinity; adjoining district; a region the inhabitants of which may be counted as neighbors; as, he lives in my neighborhood
the inhabitants who live in the vicinity of each other; as, the fire alarmed all the neiborhood
the disposition becoming a neighbor; neighborly kindness or good will
The numerical value of neighborhood in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of neighborhood in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Examples of neighborhood in a Sentence
We get the headlines then we see what the back stories are, it’s fascinating. I mean, the one consistency with virtually all the shows I do is I start off with the premise that we are all social beings. Throughout history, we’ve loved telling stories and hearing stories about ourselves … it’s all about human interaction. Once we were in the town square — now the only thing that’s changed is the size of the neighborhood.
We, us, the people of this neighborhood, when we had to flee in 2003, the people of Anbar opened their homes to us.
Once we committed to staying, businesses, developers, city planners knew there would continue to be three million people coming into this neighborhood each and every baseball season.
I was on the veranda when the entire neighborhood shook left and right, it was very intense. I've never felt fear like this.
We've got a family that's really hurting, and we've got a city and neighborhood that's feeling pretty well hurt itself.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for neighborhood
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قرب, جوار, حيArabic
- barriCatalan, Valencian
- sousedstvo, sousedstvíCzech
- omegn, nabolag, kvarterDanish
- Viertel, Stadtteil, Nachbarschaft, Kiez, im Bereich von, ungefähr, Quartier, UmgebungGerman
- περίχωρα, γειτονιά, γειτνίασηGreek
- najbareco, kvartalo, najbaraĵoEsperanto
- colonia, barrio, fraccionamiento, vecindadSpanish
- naabrid, naabrus, ümbruskondEstonian
- lähistö, alue, lähiympäristö, naapuri, kaupunginosa, naapurusto, naapuruus, naapurisopu, kulmakunta, läheisyys, suunnilleen, lähiseutu, ympäristöFinnish
- environs, voisinage, quartierFrench
- coimhearsnachdScottish Gaelic
- szomszédság, környék, szomszédokHungarian
- vicinato, quartiere, vicinanzaItalian
- 近所, 近隣, 周辺Japanese
- 近處, 근처Korean
- комшии, соседи, комшилук, соседствоMacedonian
- nabuurschap, nabijheid, wijk, kwartier, buurtDutch
- boområder, naboer, naboskapNorwegian
- vizinhança, bairroPortuguese
- округа, близость, соседи, окрестности, соседствоRussian
- súsedstvo, су́сједство, súsjedstvo, су́седствоSerbo-Croatian
- grannsämja, närhet, bostadsområde, grannskap, kvarterSwedish
- semt, etraf, mahalle, civar, komşuluk, çevre, konu komşu, mahalleliTurkish
- околиці, сусідство, округаUkrainian
- nilädanef, nilädVolapük
Get even more translations for neighborhood »
Find a translation for the neighborhood definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Discuss these neighborhood definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"neighborhood." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 13 Aug. 2020. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/neighborhood>.