vicinity, locality, neighborhood, neighbourhood, neck of the woods(noun)
a surrounding or nearby region
"the plane crashed in the vicinity of Asheville"; "it is a rugged locality"; "he always blames someone else in the immediate neighborhood"; "I will drop in on you the next time I am in this neck of the woods"
people living near one another
"it is a friendly neighborhood"; "my neighborhood voted for Bush"
the approximate amount of something (usually used prepositionally as in `in the region of')
"it was going to take in the region of two or three months to finish the job"; "the price is in the neighborhood of $100"
an area within a city or town that has some distinctive features (especially one forming a community)
"an ethnic neighborhood"
The quality of being a neighbor, living nearby, next to each-other
Our neighborhood was our only reason to exchange hollow greetings
A nearby area.
The inhabitants of a residential area.
The fire alarmed the neighborhood.
A division of a municipality or region, formally or informally divided
We have just moved to a pleasant neighborhood
The quality of physical proximity.
The slums and the palace were in awful neighborhood.
The disposition becoming a neighbor; neighborly kindness or good will.
The neighborhood of a point x is... (depending on the author):
the quality or condition of being a neighbor; the state of being or dwelling near; proximity
a place near; vicinity; adjoining district; a region the inhabitants of which may be counted as neighbors; as, he lives in my neighborhood
the inhabitants who live in the vicinity of each other; as, the fire alarmed all the neiborhood
the disposition becoming a neighbor; neighborly kindness or good will
The numerical value of neighborhood in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of neighborhood in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Examples of neighborhood in a Sentence
I'm totally devastated, for my neighbors, for our neighborhood. We all look out for one another.
The cars really impact the neighborhood because they line up, they back up, they are sitting idling.
We have a very reclusive family. Obviously we've canvassed the neighborhood, spoken to people who've lived there for years and years. Neighbors have related to us that they've never met members of this family.
Both the parents had to get new jobs. That's how much they wanted to get out of there. They were scared of black people in the schools and in the neighborhood. many people said, 'Oh my God, what are you doing? You're going to raise your child there?'.
Our house was in a great, awesome neighborhood, great neighbors.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for neighborhood
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قرب, جوار, حيArabic
- barriCatalan, Valencian
- sousedstvo, sousedstvíCzech
- omegn, nabolag, kvarterDanish
- Viertel, Stadtteil, Nachbarschaft, Kiez, im Bereich von, ungefähr, Quartier, UmgebungGerman
- περίχωρα, γειτονιά, γειτνίασηGreek
- najbareco, kvartalo, najbaraĵoEsperanto
- colonia, barrio, fraccionamiento, vecindadSpanish
- naabrid, naabrus, ümbruskondEstonian
- lähistö, alue, lähiympäristö, naapuri, kaupunginosa, naapurusto, naapuruus, naapurisopu, kulmakunta, läheisyys, suunnilleen, lähiseutu, ympäristöFinnish
- environs, voisinage, quartierFrench
- coimhearsnachdScottish Gaelic
- szomszédság, környék, szomszédokHungarian
- vicinato, quartiere, vicinanzaItalian
- 近所, 近隣, 周辺Japanese
- 近處, 근처Korean
- комшии, соседи, комшилук, соседствоMacedonian
- nabuurschap, nabijheid, wijk, kwartier, buurtDutch
- boområder, naboer, naboskapNorwegian
- vizinhança, bairroPortuguese
- округа, близость, соседи, окрестности, соседствоRussian
- súsedstvo, су́сједство, súsjedstvo, су́седствоSerbo-Croatian
- grannsämja, närhet, bostadsområde, grannskap, kvarterSwedish
- semt, etraf, mahalle, civar, komşuluk, çevre, konu komşu, mahalleliTurkish
- околиці, сусідство, округаUkrainian
- nilädanef, nilädVolapük
Get even more translations for neighborhood »
Find a translation for the neighborhood definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these neighborhood definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"neighborhood." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 25 Nov. 2020. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/neighborhood>.