vicinity, locality, neighborhood, neighbourhood, neck of the woodsnoun
a surrounding or nearby region
"the plane crashed in the vicinity of Asheville"; "it is a rugged locality"; "he always blames someone else in the immediate neighborhood"; "I will drop in on you the next time I am in this neck of the woods"
people living near one another
"it is a friendly neighborhood"; "my neighborhood voted for Bush"
the approximate amount of something (usually used prepositionally as in `in the region of')
"it was going to take in the region of two or three months to finish the job"; "the price is in the neighborhood of $100"
an area within a city or town that has some distinctive features (especially one forming a community)
"an ethnic neighborhood"
The quality of being a neighbor, living nearby, next to each-other
Our neighborhood was our only reason to exchange hollow greetings
A nearby area.
The inhabitants of a residential area.
The fire alarmed the neighborhood.
A division of a municipality or region, formally or informally divided
We have just moved to a pleasant neighborhood
The quality of physical proximity.
The slums and the palace were in awful neighborhood.
The disposition becoming a neighbor; neighborly kindness or good will.
The neighborhood of a point x is... (depending on the author):
the quality or condition of being a neighbor; the state of being or dwelling near; proximity
a place near; vicinity; adjoining district; a region the inhabitants of which may be counted as neighbors; as, he lives in my neighborhood
the inhabitants who live in the vicinity of each other; as, the fire alarmed all the neiborhood
the disposition becoming a neighbor; neighborly kindness or good will
The numerical value of neighborhood in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of neighborhood in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
The tactics we are facing, of sneaky and illegal foreclosure tactics, predatory banking and loans, elected judges who take campaign contributions from the real estate industry, coupled with violence from law enforcement and no real due process, have been used across this historically Black neighborhood to displace Black and poor people, if Black and Indigenous lives matter in Portland, this must stop.
In our neighborhood, girls are commonly killed in their mothers' wombs and we don't feel the pain, we don't have a right to kill our daughters.
The elements of this case are odd, at best, we have a very reclusive family. Obviously we've canvassed the neighborhood, spoken to people who've lived there for years and years. Neighbors have related to us that they've never met members of this family.
Let me be very clear, he and I were not friends, you will not find anyone in my neighborhood who will claim to be a friend of his. He was just a legitimate recluse.
There's a fear that moving too quickly on inter-Korean relations will undermine United States efforts to maintain pressure on North Korea to denuclearize and prematurely open the door to renewed economic engagements, it's a dynamic that comes from a long-standing mismatch in outlook between Seoul, which prioritizes peace and stability in its immediate neighborhood, and Washington -- which has an overwhelming focus on denuclearization.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for neighborhood
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قرب, جوار, حيArabic
- barriCatalan, Valencian
- sousedstvo, sousedstvíCzech
- omegn, nabolag, kvarterDanish
- Viertel, Stadtteil, Nachbarschaft, Kiez, im Bereich von, ungefähr, Quartier, UmgebungGerman
- περίχωρα, γειτονιά, γειτνίασηGreek
- najbareco, kvartalo, najbaraĵoEsperanto
- colonia, barrio, fraccionamiento, vecindadSpanish
- naabrid, naabrus, ümbruskondEstonian
- lähistö, alue, lähiympäristö, naapuri, kaupunginosa, naapurusto, naapuruus, naapurisopu, kulmakunta, läheisyys, suunnilleen, lähiseutu, ympäristöFinnish
- environs, voisinage, quartierFrench
- coimhearsnachdScottish Gaelic
- szomszédság, környék, szomszédokHungarian
- vicinato, quartiere, vicinanzaItalian
- 近所, 近隣, 周辺Japanese
- 近處, 근처Korean
- комшии, соседи, комшилук, соседствоMacedonian
- nabuurschap, nabijheid, wijk, kwartier, buurtDutch
- boområder, naboer, naboskapNorwegian
- vizinhança, bairroPortuguese
- округа, близость, соседи, окрестности, соседствоRussian
- súsedstvo, су́сједство, súsjedstvo, су́седствоSerbo-Croatian
- grannsämja, närhet, bostadsområde, grannskap, kvarterSwedish
- semt, etraf, mahalle, civar, komşuluk, çevre, konu komşu, mahalleliTurkish
- околиці, сусідство, округаUkrainian
- khu vực lân cậnVietnamese
- nilädanef, nilädVolapük
Get even more translations for neighborhood »
Find a translation for the neighborhood definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these neighborhood definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"neighborhood." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 4 Aug. 2021. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/neighborhood>.