a professional person authorized to practice law; conducts lawsuits or gives legal advice
A professional person qualified (as by a law degree and/or bar exam) and authorized to practice law, i.e. conduct lawsuits and/or give legal advice.
By extension, a legal layman who argues points of law.
To practice law.
To perform, or attempt to perform, the work of a lawyer.
To make legalistic arguments.
With "up", to acquire the services of a lawyer.
With "up", to exercise the right to ask for the presence of one's attorney.
To barrage with questions in order to get the person to admit something, usually used in the past tense "[You've been] lawyered."
Origin: From lawyer, lawer, equivalent to .
one versed in the laws, or a practitioner of law; one whose profession is to conduct lawsuits for clients, or to advise as to prosecution or defence of lawsuits, or as to legal rights and obligations in other matters. It is a general term, comprehending attorneys, counselors, solicitors, barristers, sergeants, and advocates
the black-necked stilt. See Stilt
the bowfin (Amia calva)
the burbot (Lota maculosa)
Origin: [From Law, like bowyer, fr. bow.]
A lawyer, according to Black's Law Dictionary, is "a person learned in the law; as an attorney, counsel or solicitor; a person who is practicing law." Law is the system of rules of conduct established by the sovereign government of a society to correct wrongs, maintain the stability of political and social authority, and deliver justice. Working as a lawyer involves the practical application of abstract legal theories and knowledge to solve specific individualized problems, or to advance the interests of those who retain lawyers to perform legal services. The role of the lawyer varies significantly across legal jurisdictions, and so it can be treated here in only the most general terms.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A person who takes this from that, with the result that That hath not where to lay his head. 2. An unnecessary evil. 3. The only man in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
One who defends your estate against an enemy, in order to appropriate it to himself.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'lawyer' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4118
Rank popularity for the word 'lawyer' in Nouns Frequency: #997
The numerical value of lawyer in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of lawyer in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
He’s just been Jim Hood, the people's lawyer.
I used to be a lawyer, but now I am a reformed character.
My lawyer told me I made the news in the UK and Australia.
I heard from their lawyer that today the trial formally started.
No, no, no - no lawyer, there are no lawyers here. They live on Tarawa.
Images & Illustrations of lawyer
Translations for lawyer
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- regsgeleerde, prokureur, advokaatAfrikaans
- مُحامٍ, مُحامي, محامArabic
- vəkil, hüquqşünasAzerbaijani
- адвака́т, юры́ст, юры́сткаBelarusian
- advocat, advocadaCatalan, Valencian
- advokát, právníkCzech
- advokat, sagførerDanish
- abogada, abogado, notarioSpanish
- jurist, advokaatEstonian
- juriste, avocate, homme de loi, avocatFrench
- avogado, letradoGalician
- עורך דין, עורכת דיןHebrew
- փաստաբան, իրավաբանArmenian
- avvocato, legaleItalian
- 法曹, 弁護士Japanese
- адвокат, қорғаушыKazakh
- юрист, адвокатKyrgyz
- legisperitus, praetorLatin
- advokāts, juristsLatvian
- пра́вник, адвока́тMacedonian
- өмгөөлөгч, хуульчMongolian
- muhami, loyar, peguamMalay
- raadsman, jurist, advocaat, advocateDutch
- advokat, sakførerNorwegian
- aghaʼdiitʼaahiiNavajo, Navaho
- giigidoowininiOjibwe, Ojibwa
- adwokat, radca, prawnik, prawniczkaPolish
- advogado, advogadaPortuguese
- advocat, avocatRomanian
- юри́стка, адвока́т, юри́стRussian
- advokat, адвокат, pravnik, правникSerbo-Croatian
- právnik, advokátSlovak
- odvetnik, odvetnica, advokatka, advokatSlovene
- адвокат, ҳуқуқшиносTajik
- ýurist, hukukçyTurkmen
- юри́стка, юри́ст, адвока́тUkrainian
- advokat, huquqshunosUzbek
- luật sưVietnamese
- kronajilavogan, hilavogan, jilavogan, lavogan, kronalavogan, kronahilavoganVolapük
Get even more translations for lawyer »
Find a translation for the lawyer definition in other languages:
Select another language: