make timid or fearful
"Her boss intimidates her"
to compel or deter by or as if by threats
To make timid or fearful; to inspire or affect with fear; to deter, as by threats; to dishearten; to abash.
He's trying to intimidate you. If you ignore him, hopefully he'll stop.
To impress, amaze, excite or induce extraordinary affection in others toward oneself.
Origin: From intimidatus, past participle of intimidare, from in + timidus; see timid.
to make timid or fearful; to inspire of affect with fear; to deter, as by threats; to dishearten; to abash
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
in-tim′i-dāt, v.t. to make timid or fearful: to dispirit.—n. Intimidā′tion, act of intimidating: use of violence or threats to influence the conduct or compel the consent of another: state of being intimidated.—adj. Intim′idatory.
The numerical value of intimidate in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of intimidate in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Rising amateurs always intimidate falling masters.
I don't know what we will find, we might find an intent to intimidate.
No one will tell us what movies to release, ever, nobody should be able to intimidate a company.
Our goal is not to intimidate, especially with a family that has been good stewards over the years.
If goons think they can intimidate me this way ...take a long walk boss. I will report come what may.
Images & Illustrations of intimidate
Translations for intimidate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- intimidarCatalan, Valencian
- einschüchtern, beeindruckenGerman
- intimidar, amedrentarSpanish
- hiljentää, vaientaa, pelotella, ällistyttääFinnish
- intimider, impressionerFrench
- beïndrukken, inschuchteren, impressioneren, imponeren, intimiderenDutch
- amedrontar, impressionar, intimidarPortuguese
- устрашать, устрашить, запугать, запугивать, пугать, испугатьRussian
- за̀страшити, zàstrašitiSerbo-Croatian
- భయపెట్టు, బెదిరించుTelugu
Get even more translations for intimidate »
Find a translation for the intimidate definition in other languages:
Select another language: