however, nevertheless, withal, still, yet, all the same, even so, nonetheless, notwithstanding(adverb)
despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession)
"although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it"; "while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed"; "he was a stern yet fair master"; "granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go"
by contrast; on the other hand
"the first part was easy; the second, however, took hours"
to whatever degree or extent
"The results, however general, are important"; "they have begun, however reluctantly, to acknowledge the legitimacy of some of the opposition's concerns"
in whatever way or manner
"Victory, however it was brought about, was sweet"; "however he did it, it was very clever"
Nevertheless, nonetheless, even so, that said, in spite of this.
He told me not to do it; however, I did it.
To whatever degree.
However clear you think you've been, many questions will remain.
In what way; how.
However did you do that?
In whatever manner.
Do it however you want.
To whatever extent.
Although, though, but, yet.
in whetever manner, way, or degree
at all events; at least; in any case
nevertheless; notwithstanding; yet; still; though; as, I shall not oppose your design; I can not, however, approve of it
Origin: [Sometimes contracted into howe'er.]
However is the 12th single release by Japanese band Glay on August 6, 1997. It debuted at #1 on the Oricon chart, appearing at that position for 5 weeks in total, selling 1,341,980 copies. The title song was used as ending song for the TV-drama "Ryakudatsu Ai Abunai Onna" aired on TBS channel, whose opening theme was another Glay song, "Freeze My Love", and all the music was instrumental versions of Glay's songs.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
how-ev′ėr, adv. and conj. in whatever manner or degree: nevertheless: at all events.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'however' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #125
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'however' in Written Corpus Frequency: #887
Rank popularity for the word 'however' in Adverbs Frequency: #22
The numerical value of however in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of however in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Examples of however in a Sentence
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for however
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ولكن, رغم ذٰلك, لٰكنArabic
- адна́к, тым не ме́ншBelarusian
- tanmateix, nogensmenysCatalan, Valencian
- jakkoli, však, nicméněCzech
- jedoch, wie auch immerGerman
- kontraŭe, tamenEsperanto
- por más que, sin embargoSpanish
- اما, با این حالPersian
- kuitenkin, [[miten]] [[tahansa]]Finnish
- néanmoins, quelle que soit sa manière, pourtant, de quelque manière que ce soit, cependant, toutefoisFrench
- ge-tàScottish Gaelic
- אף על פי כן, למרות זאתHebrew
- फिर भीHindi
- azonban, bármennyire, viszont, mégis, akármennyireHungarian
- però, nonostanteItalian
- しかし, けれども, けど, が, けれど, けども, でもJapanese
- მიუხედავად ამისაGeorgian
- 만, 하지만, 나, 그러나, 지만Korean
- lê, her wiha, dîsa jîKurdish
- walau bagaimanaMalay
- eender hoe, daarentegen, echterDutch
- på hvilken måte, men, ikke desto mindre, uansett hvor/hvor mye, uansett hvor, imidlertid, hvordan i all verden, på den måtenNorwegian
- jednakże, jednak, jakkolwiekPolish
- entretanto, de qualquer modo, por mais que, no entantoPortuguese
- одна́ко, тем не ме́нееRussian
- међутим, međutimSerbo-Croatian
- hur som helstSwedish
- bununla birlikte, ancakTurkish
- проте́, одна́кUkrainian
- tuy nhiênVietnamese
- mins nerén, mågré tot, portantWalloon
Get even more translations for however »
Find a translation for the however definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)