a holiday taken by a newly married couple
the early (usually calm and harmonious) period of a relationship; business or political
spend a holiday after one's marriage
"they plan to honeymoon in Hawai'i"
A vacation taken together by a newly married couple, usually including a trip away from home.
The period of time immediately following a marriage.
A trip taken by a newly married couple during this period.
A period of unusually mild feelings, especially immediately following the start of a new term or relationship (e.g. a newly elected politician or a new business arrangement).
Now that the honeymoon is over, it's time for us to get down to the business at hand.
To have a honeymoon (a trip taken by a couple after wedding).
My parents honeymooned at Niagara falls.
Origin: Disputed. Theories (in order of likelihood):
the first month after marriage
A honeymoon is the traditional holiday taken by newlyweds to celebrate their marriage in intimacy and seclusion. Today, honeymoons by Westerners are celebrated somewhere exotic or otherwise considered romantic.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A happiness not quite worn out. 2. A postlude to a wedding-march and a prelude to a funeral ditto. _E. g._, "I did not drive Adam and Eve out of Eden because they ate my pet pippin, but because they insisted on carrying on their honeymoon before the modest animals."--From _The Private Journal of Démiurge_.
Etymology and Origins
From the custom of the Scandinavians, who drank Hydromel, or diluted honey, for thirty days after a marriage feast.
The numerical value of honeymoon in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of honeymoon in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Examples of honeymoon in a Sentence
I canceled my honeymoon to Greece to drive down to South Carolina.
It has created a climate of terror and in turn it will pile more pressure on the new government and end their honeymoon period.
Temer may have a honeymoon, but let's not forget this was a shotgun wedding, reforms aren't easy at the best of times and these are for sure not the easiest.
After nearly ten years of marriage, sometimes [ I ] need to shoot her again with [ cupid's ] arrow, just to remind her that we can still be in the honeymoon phase.
One, I would be a firm' no' on Nancy Pelosi, and No. 2, I'd take my wife on a honeymoon. You're out of your damn mind if you think I'm not going to honor those promises.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for honeymoon
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- شهر عسلArabic
- мядо́вы ме́сяцBelarusian
- ме́ден ме́сецBulgarian
- lluna de melCatalan, Valencian
- líbánky, svatební cestaCzech
- mis mêlWelsh
- hvedebrødsdage, bryllupsrejseDanish
- Hochzeitsreise, FlitterwochenGerman
- μήνας του μέλιτοςGreek
- miela monatoEsperanto
- luna de miel, viaje de noviosSpanish
- pulmareis, mesinädaladEstonian
- ezkon bidaiaBasque
- ماه عسلPersian
- häämatka, kuherruskuukausiFinnish
- brúdleypsferð, hunangsmánaður, fyrsta hjúnalagstíðinFaroese
- lune de miel, voyage de nocesFrench
- mìos nam pògScottish Gaelic
- सुहाग रातHindi
- mézeshetek, nászútHungarian
- brúðkaupsferð, hveitibrauðsdagarIcelandic
- viaggio di nozze, luna di mieleItalian
- 蜜月, ハネムーン, 新婚旅行Japanese
- 신혼여행, 밀월Korean
- medus mēnesisLatvian
- ме́ден ме́сец, свадбено патувањеMacedonian
- wittebroodsweken, huwelijksreisDutch
- hvetebrødsdager, bryllupsreiseNorwegian
- miesiąc miodowyPolish
- lua de melPortuguese
- сва́дебное путеше́ствие, медо́вый ме́сяцRussian
- медо́вий мі́сяцьUkrainian
- tuần trăng mậtVietnamese
- primagloravigs, matedatäv, primagloramulsVolapük
Get even more translations for honeymoon »
Find a translation for the honeymoon definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)