What does hinder mean?
Definitions for hinder
This dictionary definitions page includes all the possible meanings, example usage and translations of the word hinder.
back(a), hind(a), hinder(a)verb
located at or near the back of an animal
"back (or hind) legs"; "the hinder part of a carcass"
be a hindrance or obstacle to
"She is impeding the progress of our project"
obstruct, blockade, block, hinder, stymie, stymy, embarrassverb
hinder or prevent the progress or accomplishment of
"His brother blocked him at every turn"
handicap, hinder, hamperverb
put at a disadvantage
"The brace I have to wear is hindering my movements"
Of or belonging to that part or end which is in the rear or hind, or which follows.
Etymology: From hindrian, from hindrōnan, from hinder (adverb). Cognate with Dutch hinderen and German hindern, contra.
Samuel Johnson's Dictionary
That which is in a position contrary to that of the face.
Etymology: from hind.
These beasts, fighting with any man, stand upon their hinder feet, and so this did, being ready to give me a shrewd embracement. Philip Sidney, b. i.
As the hinder feet of the horse stuck to the mountain, while the body reared up in the air, the poet with great difficulty kept himself from sliding off his back. Joseph Addison, Guardian.
To obstruct; to stop; to let; to impede.
Etymology: hindrian, Saxon.
Hinder me not, seeing the Lord hath prospered my way. Gen. xxiv. 56.
The whole world shined with clear light, and none were hindered in their labour. Wisd. xvii. 20.
You minimus of hindring knot-grass made;
You bead, you acorn. William Shakespeare, Mids. Night’s Dream.
If the alms were hindered only by intreaty, the hinderer is not tied to restitution, because intreaty took not liberty away from the giver. Jeremy Taylor, Rule of living holy.
This objection hinders not but that the heroick action of some commander, enterprised for the Christian cause, and executed happily, may be written. John Dryden, Juv. Dedicat.
What hinders younger brothers, being fathers of families, from having the same right? John Locke.
Hinder is an American rock band from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, formed in 2001 by lead singer Austin John Winkler, guitarist Joe "Blower" Garvey, and drummer Cody Hanson with bassist Mike Roden and guitarist Mark King joining in 2003, solidifying the line-up. The band released four studio albums with Winkler; Extreme Behavior (2005), Take It to the Limit (2008), All American Nightmare (2010) and Welcome to the Freakshow (2012). Cody Hanson, along with former lead singer Austin Winkler, wrote the majority of the band's music on their first four albums. After Winkler left the band in 2013, they looked for a new lead vocalist, and added Marshal Dutton. They have since released When the Smoke Clears (2015) and The Reign (2017) with their new vocalist. Their seventh studio album is currently in the works. The band was inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in 2007.
of or belonging to that part or end which is in the rear, or which follows; as, the hinder part of a wagon; the hinder parts of a horse
to keep back or behind; to prevent from starting or moving forward; to check; to retard; to obstruct; to bring to a full stop; -- often followed by from; as, an accident hindered the coach; drought hinders the growth of plants; to hinder me from going
to prevent or embarrass; to debar; to shut out
to interpose obstacles or impediments; to be a hindrance
Etymology: [OE. hindere, AS. hinder, adv., behind; akin to OHG. hintar, prep., behind, G. hinter, Goth. hindar; orig. a comparative, and akin to AS. hine hence. See Hence, He, and cf. Hind, a., Hindmost.]
Hinder is an American rock band from Oklahoma that was formed in 2001 by drummer Cody Hanson, guitarist Joe 'Blower' Garvey, and singer Austin Winkler. The band was inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in 2007.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
hin′dėr, v.t. to put or keep behind: to stop, or prevent progress: to embarrass.—v.i. to be an obstacle.—ns. Hin′derance, Hin′drance, act of hindering: that which hinders: obstacle. [A.S. hindrian; Ger. hindern.]
Song lyrics by hinder -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by hinder on the Lyrics.com website.
The numerical value of hinder in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of hinder in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Examples of hinder in a Sentence
A country is considered the more civilized the more the wisdom and efficiency of its laws hinder a weak man from becoming too weak or a powerful one too powerful.
Assistant Attorney General John Cruden:
United States takes seriously the federal role in protecting tribal self-government, which has United States foundation in federal statutes, treaties and regulations, to this end, we are committed to eliminating barriers, such as these, which hinder The Tulalip Tribes from developing healthy economies and providing necessary governmental services on the reservation.
The commission should more broadly consider whether any pharmaceutical merger is likely to exacerbate anticompetitive conduct by the merged firm or to hinder innovation.
A return to normal life still faces huge obstacles, the Houthis planted dozens of landmines to hinder our ability to take it back. The battle was violent and took a couple hours, but the power plant is destroyed, and there's no way to pump water.
Repealing this AUMF will in any way not hinder our national defense, in fact, the repeal is an important step in strengthening our relationship with Iraq.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for hinder
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عرقل, منع, عاق, خلفي, رِدْف, عَجِيزَةArabic
- dificultar, destorbarCatalan, Valencian
- bránit, zdržovat, ztěžovat, komplikovat, překážetCzech
- hindre, bag-, bagestDanish
- hindern, erschweren, Hintern, hinter, behindernGerman
- παρεμποδίζω, πισινός, οπίσθιοςGreek
- entorpecer, impedir, estorbar, obstar, nalgas, dificultarSpanish
- pidurdama, takistama, tagasi hoidmaEstonian
- taka-, estää, haitata, perä, viivyttää, pidättää, persaus, vaikeuttaaFinnish
- aftari, tálma, tarna, afturi, aftastur, forða, hindraFaroese
- entraver, délayerFrench
- megakadályoz, gátol, akadályoz, feltart, hátsó, meggátolHungarian
- խանգարել, ետևի, հետույք, խոչընդոտել, ետինArmenian
- varna, tálmaIcelandic
- impedire, ostacolare, ritardare, intralciareItalian
- 後ろの, 妨げるJapanese
- უკანა, ხელის შეშლა, დაბრკოლება, შეფერხება, უკანალიGeorgian
- ខាងក្រោយ, ពាំង, គូតKhmer
- 뒤, 방해하다, 저지하다Korean
- impediō, obstō, posterior, officiō, āversus, prohibereLatin
- behënneren, hënnerenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- bakdel, bakre, hindre, forhindre, bak-, hemme, rumpe, bakendeNorwegian
- vertragen, hinderen, verhinderen, achterste, makenDutch
- bakdel, bakende, bak-, forhindre, bakare, hemme, bakre, hindre, rumpeNorwegian Nynorsk
- wstrzymywać, opóźniać, tylny, przeszkadzać, pośladki, powstrzymywaćPolish
- estorvar, traseiro, bunda, reter, frustrar, entravar, atrapalhar, posterior, impedir, dificultarPortuguese
- împiedica, stânjeni, rețineRomanian
- воспрепятствовать, мешать, помешать, препятствовать, задница, заднийRussian
- одмоћи, спречити, sprečiti, otežavati, zaprečavati, задњи, стражњи, stražnji, запречавати, zadnji, kočiti, кочити, odmoći, отежаватиSerbo-Croatian
- spomaľovať, blokovať, brzdiť, sťažovať, brániť, zadný, prekážať, zdržovať, komplikovaťSlovak
- bak, hindra, försvåra, fördröja, bakreSwedish
- kinza, zuia, pinga, kingaSwahili
- หลัง, ก้น, ข้างหลัง, หยุดยั้ง, กีดขวาง, กีด, ส่วนหลัง, ตูดThai
Get even more translations for hinder »
Find a translation for the hinder definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"hinder." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 20 Mar. 2023. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/hinder>.
Discuss these hinder definitions with the community:
We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.
If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly.
You need to be logged in to favorite.