major items of military weaponry (as tanks or missile)
instrumentalities (tools or implements) made of metal
hardware, computer hardware(noun)
(computer science) the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical components making up a computer system
Any of the physical objects used in carrying out an activity, in contrast to the knowledge, skill, or theory required to perform the activity; mostly used collectively.
Specifically: (Computers) The sum of all the physical objects, such as the electrical, mechanical, and electronic devices which comprise a computer system; as, the typical PC hardware suite consists of a mainboard and a number of peripherals such as hard drives and speakers, connected by adapter cards, but the input and output from users occurs mostly through the keyboard and monitor; contrasted with software, the programs executed by the computer.
Specifically: (Military) The weapons, transport, and other physical objects used in conducting a war.
(Slang) Weapons, especially handguns, carried on the person; as, check your hardware at the door before entering.
Fixtures, equipment, tools and devices used for general-purpose construction and repair of a structure or object. Also such equipment as sold as stock by a store of the same name, e.g. hardware store.
He needed a hammer, nails, screws, nuts, bolts and other assorted hardware, so he went to the hardware store.
The part of a computer that is fixed and cannot be altered without replacement or physical modification; motherboard, expansion cards, etc. Compare software.
ware made of metal, as cutlery, kitchen utensils, and the like; ironmongery
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'hardware' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4441
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'hardware' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4252
Rank popularity for the word 'hardware' in Nouns Frequency: #1790
The numerical value of hardware in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of hardware in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The important thing is hardware can be replaced.
Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks.
Hardware the parts of a computer that can be kicked.
We would never touch hardware production. We want to be a supporter and enabler of our partner.
You know they're coming back with hardware, with Olympic medals, it's just a matter of how many.
Images & Illustrations of hardware
Translations for hardware
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- maquinariCatalan, Valencian
- hardware, zbraňCzech
- våben, hardware, isenkram, maskinel, udstyr, maskineDanish
- Hardware, EisenwarenGerman
- σιδηρικά, είδη κιγκαλερίας, βαρύς στρατιωτικός εξοπλισμός, ηλεκτρονικός εξοπλισμός, δομικά υλικά, υλισμικό, υλικούGreek
- fierros, hardware, arma de fuegoSpanish
- rautatavara, tuliase, rauta, laitteistoFinnish
- arme à feu, quincaillerie, matérielFrench
- bathar-cruaidhScottish Gaelic
- ハード, ハードウェアJapanese
- 굳은모, 하드웨어Korean
- hardware, ferragensPortuguese
- hardware, dotare tehnică, aparatură, echipament, aparatajRomanian
- оборудование, хардвер, аппаратураRussian
- ڳڻپيوگري, سامگريSindhi
- željezarija, tvrdovlje, sklopovlje, tvrdotvorina, hardver, strojna oprema, čvrstovlje, strojevina, računalna sklopovska podrškaSerbo-Croatian
- hårdvara, maskinvaraSwedish
Get even more translations for hardware »
Find a translation for the hardware definition in other languages:
Select another language: