Handy, W. C. Handy, William Christopher Handy(adj)
United States blues musician who transcribed and published traditional blues music (1873-1958)
handy, ready to hand(p)(adj)
easy to reach
"found a handy spot for the can opener"
easy to use
"a handy gadget"
skillful with the hands
"handy with an axe"
Easy to use, useful.
Some people regard duct tape as a handy fix-all.
Nearby, within reach.
You wouldn't have a screwdriver handy, would you?
She's very handy - she made all her own kitchen cupboards.
performed by the hand
skillful in using the hand; dexterous; ready; adroit
ready to the hand; near; also, suited to the use of the hand; convenient; valuable for reference or use; as, my tools are handy; a handy volume
easily managed; obedient to the helm; -- said of a vessel
Origin: [OE. hendi, AS. hendig (in comp.), fr. hand hand; akin to D. handig, Goth. handugs clever, wise.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
han′di, adj. dexterous: ready to the hand: convenient: near.—adv. Hand′ily.—ns. Handi′ness; Hand′y-man, a man for doing odd jobs.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'handy' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3099
The numerical value of handy in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of handy in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Examples of handy in a Sentence
When ideas fail, words come in very handy.
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
My hands were so badly burned and I needed help, so I used Siri to call 911, siri came in very handy.
Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for handy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- pràctic, a màCatalan, Valencian
- po ruce, praktický, šikovný, užitečnýCzech
- handlich, anstellig, praktisch, zur Hand, in Reichweite, griffbereitGerman
- hábil, diestro, cerca, a mano, prácticoSpanish
- در دسترس, سودمند, ماهرPersian
- [[käsi#Finnish, kätevä, taitavaFinnish
- commode, à portée de main, pratiqueFrench
- deas, goireasach, tapaidhScottish Gaelic
- utile, commodeInterlingua
- pratico, utile, comodoItalian
- bij de hand, handig, binnen handbereikDutch
- podręczny, wygodny, dogodnyPolish
- à mão, útil, fácil, práticoPortuguese
- поле́зный, практи́чный, удо́бный, иску́сный, рука, портати́вный, кста́ти, уме́лый, ло́вкийRussian
- практичан, nadomak, спретан, приручанSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for handy »
Find a translation for the handy definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)