glooming, gloomy, gloomful, sulky(adj)
"the gloomy forest"; "the glooming interior of an old inn"; "`gloomful' is archaic"
gloomy, grim, blue, depressed, dispirited, down(p), downcast, downhearted, down in the mouth, low, low-spirited(adj)
filled with melancholy and despondency
"gloomy at the thought of what he had to face"; "gloomy predictions"; "a gloomy silence"; "took a grim view of the economy"; "the darkening mood"; "lonely and blue in a strange city"; "depressed by the loss of his job"; "a dispirited and resigned expression on her face"; "downcast after his defeat"; "feeling discouraged and downhearted"
blue, dark, dingy, disconsolate, dismal, gloomy, grim, sorry, drab, drear, dreary(adj)
"a blue day"; "the dark days of the war"; "a week of rainy depressing weather"; "a disconsolate winter landscape"; "the first dismal dispiriting days of November"; "a dark gloomy day"; "grim rainy weather"
Imperfectly illuminated; dismal through obscurity or darkness; dusky; dim; clouded.
The cavern was gloomy.
Affected with, or expressing, gloom; melancholy; dejected.
a gloomy temper or countenance
imperfectly illuminated; dismal through obscurity or darkness; dusky; dim; clouded; as, the cavern was gloomy
affected with, or expressing, gloom; melancholy; dejected; as, a gloomy temper or countenance
How to say gloomy in sign language?
The numerical value of gloomy in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of gloomy in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Examples of gloomy in a Sentence
In narrow and gloomy streets, keep your spirit high!
Even in the winter time when it's super gloomy, the whole house is filled with light.
It is not fitting, when one is in God's service, to have a gloomy face or a chilling look.
Writer is a miner; he works in the gloomy places like a miner to get the precious material.
When they do, they will realize how gloomy prospects are for the longer-term dry bulk shipping market.
Images & Illustrations of gloomy
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for gloomy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- temný, pochmurný, sklíčenýCzech
- finster, trübe, düsterGerman
- lóbrego, oscuroSpanish
- pimeä, ankea, synkkä, kolkko, hämärä, iloton, hämyinen, synkeä, surumielinenFinnish
- morne, terne, sombre, lugubre, mélancolique, maussadeFrench
- duairc, doilbhir, gruamaIrish
- dubhach, ciar, gruamach, doilleirScottish Gaelic
- קודר, אפלHebrew
- sötét, homályos, mélabús, melankolikusHungarian
- մռայլ, աղոտ, մթինArmenian
- uggioso, lugubre, cupo, tetroItalian
- 薄暗い, 陰気Japanese
- melancholisch, duister, benauwd, donkerDutch
- melancólico, obscuro, pessimista, triste, escuro, trevasPortuguese
- мрачный, безотрадный, печальный, безрадостный, хмурый, угрюмыйRussian
- mráčan, támānSerbo-Croatian
- pochmúrny, ponurý, skľúčený, pošmúrny, zasmušilýSlovak
- похмурий, сумнийUkrainian
Get even more translations for gloomy »
Find a translation for the gloomy definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)