a prediction about how something (as the weather) will develop
predict in advance
calculate, estimate, reckon, count on, figure, forecast(verb)
judge to be probable
bode, portend, auspicate, prognosticate, omen, presage, betoken, foreshadow, augur, foretell, prefigure, forecast, predict(verb)
indicate by signs
"These signs bode bad news"
An estimation of a future condition.
A prediction of the weather.
To estimate how a condition will be in the future.
to plan beforehand; to scheme; to project
to foresee; to calculate beforehand, so as to provide for
to contrive or plan beforehand
previous contrivance or determination; predetermination
foresight of consequences, and provision against them; prevision; premeditation
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
fōr-kast′, v.t. to contrive or reckon beforehand: to foresee: to predict.—v.i. to form schemes beforehand.—ns. Fore′cast, a previous contrivance: foresight: a prediction; Forecast′er.
The Roycroft Dictionary
To observe that which has passed, and guess it will happen again; to anticipate the future by guessing at the past; to predict that an event will happen, if it does, by basing calculations on events that have already happened, if they did. (One may forecast and be right, wrong, or neither. It depends.)
Dictionary of Nautical Terms
A storm warning, or reasonable prediction of a gale from the inferences of observed meteorological instruments and phenomena.
To create the data, structure and system to know the current income and expenditure and future projected income and expenditure.
The business forecast was accurate, specific, measureable, realistic and had a timeline.Submitted by MaryC on April 8, 2020
To estimate a future possibility or amount.
The weather forecasters did forecast the weather accurately but as always it can change in advance which is great.Submitted by MaryC on January 11, 2020
Song lyrics by forecast -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by forecast on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'forecast' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4360
Rank popularity for the word 'forecast' in Nouns Frequency: #2111
The numerical value of forecast in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of forecast in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Examples of forecast in a Sentence
We believe the results will pave the way for a longer use in maintenance and increased penetration. Therefore we increase our daratumumab (Darzalex) peak sales forecast in multiple myeloma to 40 billion Danish crowns from 35 billion crowns and raise our target price to 1,100 crowns (1,025).
We are revisiting all our assumptions, and as you can see that is why we revised down our forecast for sales volume for the full year.
Earnings momentum is building in Europe. The currency and an improving economy are the two main drivers of our positive forecast.
Perenco had forecast it would produce 12,000 bpd and now it's producing less than 1,000 bpd.
Snowfall totals are forecast to be over a foot for portions of the Northeast west of Interstate 95 through Thursday evening, the major cities will be on the gradient in between the substantial snowfall totals and light snowfall totals, so there is uncertainty in how much snow will fall in areas such as New York City.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for forecast
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- voorspel, weervoorspelling, voorspellingAfrikaans
- يتنبئ, توقعات طقس, توقع, توقعاتArabic
- прогно́за, предвиждане, предска́звам, предви́ждамBulgarian
- calendariCatalan, Valencian
- Wettervorhersage, Schätzung, Vorhersage, prognostizieren, Prognose, vorhersagenGerman
- veterprognozo, prognozoEsperanto
- pronóstico, pronosticar, predecir, pronóstico del tiempo, previsiónSpanish
- ennuste, sääennuste, ennustaa, ennakkoarvio, ennakoidaFinnish
- prévision météorologique, prévision, prévision météo, prévoirFrench
- kira, ramalan cuaca, ramalIndonesian
- 予想, 予報, [[天気]][[予報]]Japanese
- 예보, 예상Korean
- weersvoorspelling, voorspelling, voorspellen, schatting, prognoseDutch
- predikere, forutsiNorwegian
- prognoza, zapowiedźPolish
- previsão, preverPortuguese
- предсказывать, прогно́з, спрогнозировать, предсказа́ние, [[прогно́з]] [[погода, прогнозировать, предсказать, предви́дение, прогнозRussian
- napovedati, napovedSlovene
- prognos, förhandsberäkning, förutse, väderprognos, förutsäga, utsiktSwedish
- передба́чення, прогно́зUkrainian
Get even more translations for forecast »
Find a translation for the forecast definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)