a prediction about how something (as the weather) will develop
predict in advance
calculate, estimate, reckon, count on, figure, forecastverb
judge to be probable
bode, portend, auspicate, prognosticate, omen, presage, betoken, foreshadow, augur, foretell, prefigure, forecast, predictverb
indicate by signs
"These signs bode bad news"
An estimation of a future condition.
A prediction of the weather.
To estimate how a condition will be in the future.
to plan beforehand; to scheme; to project
to foresee; to calculate beforehand, so as to provide for
to contrive or plan beforehand
previous contrivance or determination; predetermination
foresight of consequences, and provision against them; prevision; premeditation
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
fōr-kast′, v.t. to contrive or reckon beforehand: to foresee: to predict.—v.i. to form schemes beforehand.—ns. Fore′cast, a previous contrivance: foresight: a prediction; Forecast′er.
The Roycroft Dictionary
To observe that which has passed, and guess it will happen again; to anticipate the future by guessing at the past; to predict that an event will happen, if it does, by basing calculations on events that have already happened, if they did. (One may forecast and be right, wrong, or neither. It depends.)
Dictionary of Nautical Terms
A storm warning, or reasonable prediction of a gale from the inferences of observed meteorological instruments and phenomena.
To create the data, structure and system to know the current income and expenditure and future projected income and expenditure.
The business forecast was accurate, specific, measureable, realistic and had a timeline.Submitted by MaryC on April 8, 2020
To estimate a future possibility or amount.
The weather forecasters did forecast the weather accurately but as always it can change in advance which is great.Submitted by MaryC on January 11, 2020
Song lyrics by forecast -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by forecast on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'forecast' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4360
Rank popularity for the word 'forecast' in Nouns Frequency: #2111
The numerical value of forecast in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of forecast in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
We ... stick to our forecast for two more cuts.
The current forecast path of Hurricane Dorian does not include Alabama.
New Yorkers don't like to be inconvenienced, if the forecast doesn't turn out as much snow, then they are hanging me in effigy today.
The impact of oil's steep price plunge on end users is unlikely to be repeated and economic conditions are forecast to remain problematic in countries such as China.
Hurricane Irma is a major and life-threatening storm, and Florida must be prepared, i have continued to be briefed by the Florida Division of Emergency Management on Hurricane Irma and current forecast models have Florida in Irma’s path – potentially impacting millions of Floridians.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for forecast
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- voorspel, weervoorspelling, voorspellingAfrikaans
- يتنبئ, توقعات طقس, توقع, توقعاتArabic
- прогно́за, предвиждане, предска́звам, предви́ждамBulgarian
- calendariCatalan, Valencian
- Wettervorhersage, Schätzung, Vorhersage, prognostizieren, Prognose, vorhersagenGerman
- veterprognozo, prognozoEsperanto
- pronóstico, pronosticar, predecir, pronóstico del tiempo, previsiónSpanish
- ennuste, sääennuste, ennustaa, ennakkoarvio, ennakoidaFinnish
- prévision météorologique, prévision, prévision météo, prévoirFrench
- kira, ramalan cuaca, ramalIndonesian
- 予想, 予報, [[天気]][[予報]]Japanese
- 예보, 예상Korean
- weersvoorspelling, voorspelling, voorspellen, schatting, prognoseDutch
- predikere, forutsiNorwegian
- prognoza, zapowiedźPolish
- previsão, preverPortuguese
- предсказывать, прогно́з, спрогнозировать, предсказа́ние, [[прогно́з]] [[погода, прогнозировать, предсказать, предви́дение, прогнозRussian
- napovedati, napovedSlovene
- prognos, förhandsberäkning, förutse, väderprognos, förutsäga, utsiktSwedish
- передба́чення, прогно́зUkrainian
Get even more translations for forecast »
Find a translation for the forecast definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)