What does flavoprotein mean?

Definitions for flavoprotein
ˌfleɪ voʊˈproʊ tin, -ti ənflavo·pro·tein

This dictionary definitions page includes all the possible meanings, example usage and translations of the word flavoprotein.

Wiktionary

  1. flavoproteinnoun

    any of a group of enzymes, containing flavin, that act as dehydrogenases

Wikipedia

  1. Flavoprotein

    Flavoproteins are proteins that contain a nucleic acid derivative of riboflavin. Flavoproteins are involved in a wide array of biological processes, including removal of radicals contributing to oxidative stress, photosynthesis, and DNA repair. The flavoproteins are some of the most-studied families of enzymes. Flavoproteins have either FMN or FAD (flavin adenine dinucleotide) as a prosthetic group or as a cofactor. The flavin is generally tightly bound (as in adrenodoxin reductase, wherein the FAD is buried deeply). About 5-10% of flavoproteins have a covalently linked FAD. Based on the available structural data, FAD-binding sites can be divided into more than 200 different types.90 flavoproteins are encoded in the human genome; about 84% require FAD, and around 16% require FMN, whereas 5 proteins require both. Flavoproteins are mainly located in the mitochondria. Of all flavoproteins, 90% perform redox reactions and the other 10% are transferases, lyases, isomerases, ligases.

Wikidata

  1. Flavoprotein

    Flavoproteins are proteins that contain a nucleic acid derivative of riboflavin: the flavin adenine dinucleotide or flavin mononucleotide. Flavoproteins are involved in a wide array of biological processes, including, but by no means limited to, bioluminescence, removal of radicals contributing to oxidative stress, photosynthesis, DNA repair, and apoptosis. The spectroscopic properties of the flavin cofactor make it a natural reporter for changes occurring within the active site; this makes flavoproteins one of the most-studied enzyme families.

How to pronounce flavoprotein?

How to say flavoprotein in sign language?

Numerology

  1. Chaldean Numerology

    The numerical value of flavoprotein in Chaldean Numerology is: 3

  2. Pythagorean Numerology

    The numerical value of flavoprotein in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9

Popularity rank by frequency of use

flavoprotein#100000#117894#333333

Translations for flavoprotein

From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary

  • φλαβοπρωτεΐνηGreek

Get even more translations for flavoprotein »

Translation

Find a translation for the flavoprotein definition in other languages:

Select another language:

  • - Select -
  • 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
  • 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
  • Español (Spanish)
  • Esperanto (Esperanto)
  • 日本語 (Japanese)
  • Português (Portuguese)
  • Deutsch (German)
  • العربية (Arabic)
  • Français (French)
  • Русский (Russian)
  • ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
  • 한국어 (Korean)
  • עברית (Hebrew)
  • Gaeilge (Irish)
  • Українська (Ukrainian)
  • اردو (Urdu)
  • Magyar (Hungarian)
  • मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
  • Indonesia (Indonesian)
  • Italiano (Italian)
  • தமிழ் (Tamil)
  • Türkçe (Turkish)
  • తెలుగు (Telugu)
  • ภาษาไทย (Thai)
  • Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
  • Čeština (Czech)
  • Polski (Polish)
  • Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
  • Românește (Romanian)
  • Nederlands (Dutch)
  • Ελληνικά (Greek)
  • Latinum (Latin)
  • Svenska (Swedish)
  • Dansk (Danish)
  • Suomi (Finnish)
  • فارسی (Persian)
  • ייִדיש (Yiddish)
  • հայերեն (Armenian)
  • Norsk (Norwegian)
  • English (English)

Word of the Day

Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?

Please enter your email address:


Citation

Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:

Style:MLAChicagoAPA

"flavoprotein." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2024. Web. 19 Apr. 2024. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/flavoprotein>.

Discuss these flavoprotein definitions with the community:

0 Comments

    Are we missing a good definition for flavoprotein? Don't keep it to yourself...

    Image or illustration of

    flavoprotein

    Credit »

    Free, no signup required:

    Add to Chrome

    Get instant definitions for any word that hits you anywhere on the web!

    Free, no signup required:

    Add to Firefox

    Get instant definitions for any word that hits you anywhere on the web!

    Browse Definitions.net

    Quiz

    Are you a words master?

    »
    an attitude of irreverence or contempt for a divinity
    A profaneness
    B urus
    C defilement
    D fervidness

    Nearby & related entries:

    Alternative searches for flavoprotein: