coating, finish, finishing(noun)
a decorative texture or appearance of a surface (or the substance that gives it that appearance)
"the boat had a metallic finish"; "he applied a coat of a clear finish"; "when the finish is too thin it is difficult to apply evenly"
stopping point, finale, finis, finish, last, conclusion, close(noun)
the temporal end; the concluding time
"the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell"; "the market was up at the finish"; "they were playing better at the close of the season"
polish, refinement, culture, cultivation, finish(noun)
a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality
"they performed with great polish"; "I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose"; "almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conrad
finish, destination, goal(noun)
the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey)
"a crowd assembled at the finish"; "he was nearly exhausted as their destination came into view"
designated event that concludes a contest (especially a race)
"excitement grew as the finish neared"; "my horse was several lengths behind at the finish"; "the winner is the team with the most points at the finish"
the downfall of someone (as of persons on one side of a conflict)
"booze will be the finish of him"; "it was a fight to the finish"
ending, conclusion, finish(noun)
event whose occurrence ends something
"his death marked the ending of an era"; "when these final episodes are broadcast it will be the finish of the show"
(wine tasting) the taste of a wine on the back of the tongue (as it is swallowed)
"the wine has a nutty flavor and a pleasant finish"
the act of finishing
"his best finish in a major tournament was third"; "the speaker's finishing was greeted with applause"
come or bring to a finish or an end
"He finished the dishes"; "She completed the requirements for her Master's Degree"; "The fastest runner finished the race in just over 2 hours; others finished in over 4 hours"
finish up, land up, fetch up, end up, wind up, finish(verb)
finally be or do something
"He ended up marrying his high school sweetheart"; "he wound up being unemployed and living at home again"
end, stop, finish, terminate, cease(verb)
have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
"the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
provide with a finish
"The carpenter finished the table beautifully"; "this shirt is not finished properly"
eat up, finish, polish off(verb)
finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table
"She polished off the remaining potatoes"
cause to finish a relationship with somebody
"That finished me with Mary"
An end: the end of anything.
A protective coating given to wood or metal and other surfaces.
The car's finish was so shiny and new.
The result of any process changing the physical or chemical properties of cloth.
A shot on goal, especially one that ends in a goal.
To complete (something).
Please finish your homework!
To apply a treatment to (a surface or similar).
The furniture was finished in teak veneer.
To change an animal's food supply in the months before it is due for slaughter, with the intention of fattening the animal.
Due to BSE, cows in the United Kingdom must be finished and slaughtered before 30 months of age.
To come to an end.
The song has finished.
to arrive at the end of; to bring to an end; to put an end to; to make an end of; to terminate
to bestow the last required labor upon; to complete; to bestow the utmost possible labor upon; to perfect; to accomplish; to polish
to come to an end; to terminate
to end; to die
that which finishes, puts an end to/ or perfects
the joiner work and other finer work required for the completion of a building, especially of the interior. See Inside finish, and Outside finish
the labor required to give final completion to any work; hence, minute detail, careful elaboration, or the like
see Finishing coat, under Finishing
the result of completed labor, as on the surface of an object; manner or style of finishing; as, a rough, dead, or glossy finish given to cloth, stone, metal, etc
completion; -- opposed to start, or beginning
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
fin′ish, v.t. to end or complete the making of anything: to perfect: to give the last touches to: to put an end to, to destroy.—n. that which finishes or completes: the end of a race, hunt, &c.: last touch, careful elaboration, polish: the last coat of plaster to a wall.—p.adj. Fin′ished, brought to an end or to completion: complete: perfect.—n. Fin′isher, one who finishes, completes, or perfects: in bookbinding, the one who puts the last touches to the book in the way of gilding and decoration. [Fr. finir, finissant—L. finīre—finis, an end.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'finish' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4188
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'finish' in Written Corpus Frequency: #955
Rank popularity for the word 'finish' in Nouns Frequency: #1988
Rank popularity for the word 'finish' in Verbs Frequency: #187
The numerical value of finish in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of finish in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Examples of finish in a Sentence
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for finish
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فرغ, أنهى, أتمم, انتهيArabic
- ско́нчыць, зака́нчваць, канча́цьBelarusian
- край, фина́л, завършвам, финиширамBulgarian
- finalitzar, fita, fi, terminar, meta, acabar, finirCatalan, Valencian
- dokončit, skončit, konecCzech
- slutning, finishDanish
- Ende, beenden, fertigstellen, aufhören, Lack, endenGerman
- τέλος, τελειώνωGreek
- finiĝi, finiEsperanto
- finalizar, acabarse, terminar, meta, acabar, fin, terminarseSpanish
- تمام کردن, تمام شدنPersian
- viimeistellä, loppu, tehdä loppuun, pintakäsittely, loppua, päättyä, maaliFinnish
- fin, fini, achever, finir, se terminerFrench
- crìochnaichScottish Gaelic
- ख़त्म होना, ख़त्म करना, अंत करनाHindi
- finiHaitian Creole
- befejezés, befejez, végezHungarian
- վախճան, վերջ, վերջացնել, ավարտArmenian
- fin, termination, terminar, finirInterlingua
- tamat, selesaiIndonesian
- fine, rifinire, finireItalian
- 全うする, 終わる, 終了, 終える, 仕上げる, 終わりJapanese
- 완성하다, 종료하다, 끝내다Korean
- finis, terminus, finior, finio, finem habeo, terminorLatin
- beigas, beigt, pabeigtLatvian
- meet, finish, beëindigen, eindstreep, afwerkenDutch
- avslutte, slutt, toppstrøk, finish, avslutning, fullføreNorwegian
- acabar, terminar, finirOccitan
- koniec, dokonać, skończyć, dokonywaćPolish
- arrematar, rematar, final, acabamento, concluir, fim, acabar, finalizar, terminarPortuguese
- sfârșit, termina, final, lacRomanian
- зака́нчивать, лак, отде́лка, заверши́ть, зака́нчиваться, око́нчить, оконча́ние, око́нчиться, зако́нчить, зако́нчиться, заверша́ть, коне́ц, фина́лRussian
- slutföra, finish, avsluta, yta, mål, fullfölja, gå i målSwedish
- పూర్తిచేయు, అంతమవు, పూర్తవు, ముగించుTelugu
- bitirmek, bitişTurkish
- скі́нчити, кінча́ти, закі́нчувати, закі́нчитиUkrainian
- ختم کرنا, ختم ہونا, ختمUrdu
- làm xong, kết thúc, hoàn thànhVietnamese
- fimekön, finük, finükön, lemekön, finVolapük
- achever, esse fini, fini, esse tot fwait, esse foû, esse houteWalloon
Get even more translations for finish »
Find a translation for the finish definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)