What does falling sickness mean?

Definitions for falling sickness
fall·ing sick·ness

This dictionary definitions page includes all the possible meanings, example usage and translations of the word falling sickness.


Did you actually mean falun gong or film making?

Wiktionary

  1. falling sicknessnoun

    Epilepsy.

Wikipedia

  1. falling sickness

    Epilepsy is a group of non-communicable neurological disorders characterized by recurrent epileptic seizures. Epileptic seizures can vary from brief and nearly undetectable periods to long periods of vigorous shaking due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain. These episodes can result in physical injuries, either directly such as broken bones or through causing accidents. In epilepsy, seizures tend to recur and may have no immediate underlying cause. Isolated seizures that are provoked by a specific cause such as poisoning are not deemed to represent epilepsy. People with epilepsy may be treated differently in various areas of the world and experience varying degrees of social stigma due to the alarming nature of their symptoms.The underlying mechanism of epileptic seizures is excessive and abnormal neuronal activity in the cortex of the brain which can be observed in the electroencephalogram (EEG) of an individual. The reason this occurs in most cases of epilepsy is unknown (idiopathic); some cases occur as the result of brain injury, stroke, brain tumors, infections of the brain, or birth defects through a process known as epileptogenesis. Known genetic mutations are directly linked to a small proportion of cases. The diagnosis involves ruling out other conditions that might cause similar symptoms, such as fainting, and determining if another cause of seizures is present, such as alcohol withdrawal or electrolyte problems. This may be partly done by imaging the brain and performing blood tests. Epilepsy can often be confirmed with an EEG, but a normal test does not rule out the condition.Epilepsy that occurs as a result of other issues may be preventable. Seizures are controllable with medication in about 69% of cases; inexpensive anti-seizure medications are often available. In those whose seizures do not respond to medication; surgery, neurostimulation or dietary changes may then be considered. Not all cases of epilepsy are lifelong, and many people improve to the point that treatment is no longer needed.As of 2020, about 50 million people have epilepsy. Nearly 80% of cases occur in the developing world. In 2015, it resulted in 125,000 deaths, an increase from 112,000 in 1990. Epilepsy is more common in older people. In the developed world, onset of new cases occurs most frequently in babies and the elderly. In the developing world, onset is more common in older children and young adults due to differences in the frequency of the underlying causes. About 5–10% of people will have an unprovoked seizure by the age of 80, with the chance of experiencing a second seizure rising to between 40% and 50%. In many areas of the world, those with epilepsy either have restrictions placed on their ability to drive or are not permitted to drive until they are free of seizures for a specific length of time. The word epilepsy is from Ancient Greek ἐπιλαμβάνειν, "to seize, possess, or afflict".

Wikidata

  1. Falling Sickness

    Falling Sickness was a Riverside, California based ska punk band, consisting of Fritz Aragon, Zach Howe, Gabe Gil, and Mike Angel. After six years of being an unsigned band and playing mostly local shows, Falling Sickness were signed to Hopeless Records in 1995. Their debut record Right on Time was released soon after in January 1996. The record which chronicled the first six years of the band is "about drinking, daydreaming and fucking up; a testament of our youth. After all, when we started [Gabe] was only 17 and Fritz was 14". Their next, and final, record as a band, Because the World Has Failed Us Both was released in February 1998 also on Hopeless Records. 'Because the World Has Failed Us Both' is "about our growing up" and focuses more on worldly politics rather than the teenage politics of 'Right On Time'. In 2000, Falling Sickness disbanded. Since then, Fritz and Angel have formed the band Dogs of Ire.

Suggested Resources

  1. falling sickness

    Song lyrics by falling sickness -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by falling sickness on the Lyrics.com website.

How to pronounce falling sickness?

How to say falling sickness in sign language?

Numerology

  1. Chaldean Numerology

    The numerical value of falling sickness in Chaldean Numerology is: 4

  2. Pythagorean Numerology

    The numerical value of falling sickness in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7

Translation

Find a translation for the falling sickness definition in other languages:

Select another language:

  • - Select -
  • 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
  • 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
  • Español (Spanish)
  • Esperanto (Esperanto)
  • 日本語 (Japanese)
  • Português (Portuguese)
  • Deutsch (German)
  • العربية (Arabic)
  • Français (French)
  • Русский (Russian)
  • ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
  • 한국어 (Korean)
  • עברית (Hebrew)
  • Gaeilge (Irish)
  • Українська (Ukrainian)
  • اردو (Urdu)
  • Magyar (Hungarian)
  • मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
  • Indonesia (Indonesian)
  • Italiano (Italian)
  • தமிழ் (Tamil)
  • Türkçe (Turkish)
  • తెలుగు (Telugu)
  • ภาษาไทย (Thai)
  • Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
  • Čeština (Czech)
  • Polski (Polish)
  • Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
  • Românește (Romanian)
  • Nederlands (Dutch)
  • Ελληνικά (Greek)
  • Latinum (Latin)
  • Svenska (Swedish)
  • Dansk (Danish)
  • Suomi (Finnish)
  • فارسی (Persian)
  • ייִדיש (Yiddish)
  • հայերեն (Armenian)
  • Norsk (Norwegian)
  • English (English)

Word of the Day

Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?

Please enter your email address:


Citation

Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:

Style:MLAChicagoAPA

"falling sickness." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2024. Web. 15 Jun 2024. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/falling+sickness>.

Discuss these falling sickness definitions with the community:

0 Comments

    Are we missing a good definition for falling sickness? Don't keep it to yourself...

    Image or illustration of

    falling sickness

    Credit »

    Free, no signup required:

    Add to Chrome

    Get instant definitions for any word that hits you anywhere on the web!

    Free, no signup required:

    Add to Firefox

    Get instant definitions for any word that hits you anywhere on the web!

    Browse Definitions.net

    Quiz

    Are you a words master?

    »
    offensive or even (of persons) malicious
    A nasty
    B disjointed
    C frantic
    D whirring

    Nearby & related entries:

    Alternative searches for falling sickness: