an act that fails
"his failure to pass the test"
an event that does not accomplish its intended purpose
"the surprise party was a complete failure"
lack of success
"he felt that his entire life had been a failure"; "that year there was a crop failure"
failure, loser, nonstarter, unsuccessful person(noun)
a person with a record of failing; someone who loses consistently
an unexpected omission
"he resented my failure to return his call"; "the mechanic's failure to check the brakes"
inability to discharge all your debts as they come due
"the company had to declare bankruptcy"; "fraudulent loans led to the failure of many banks"
loss of ability to function normally
State or condition of not meeting a desirable or intended objective, opposite of success.
An object, person or endeavour in a state of failure or incapable of success.
Termination of the ability of an item to perform its required function, breakdown.
Origin: From failer, from faillir.
cessation of supply, or total defect; a failing; deficiency; as, failure of rain; failure of crops
omission; nonperformance; as, the failure to keep a promise
want of success; the state of having failed
decay, or defect from decay; deterioration; as, the failure of memory or of sight
a becoming insolvent; bankruptcy; suspension of payment; as, failure in business
a failing; a slight fault
Origin: [From Fail.]
Failure is the state or condition of not meeting a desirable or intended objective, and may be viewed as the opposite of success. Product failure ranges from failure to sell the product to fracture of the product, in the worst cases leading to personal injury, the province of forensic engineering.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. The man who can tell others what to do and how to do it, but never does it himself. 2. A man who has blundered, but is not able to cash in the experience.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
The quickest method known for making money.
Military Dictionary and Gazetteer
An unsuccessful attempt; as, the failure of an expedition.
Song lyrics by failure -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by failure on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'failure' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1291
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'failure' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3201
Rank popularity for the word 'failure' in Nouns Frequency: #536
The numerical value of failure in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of failure in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Examples of failure in a Sentence
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for failure
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عطل, إخفاقArabic
- неуспех, повреда, неудачник, несполукаBulgarian
- fracàsCatalan, Valencian
- selhání, porucha, nezdar, neúspěchCzech
- nedbrud, svigt, fiaskoDanish
- Versagerin, Verschlechterung, Misslingen, Ausfall, Versagen, Pleite, Versager, MisserfolgGerman
- fracasado, avería, fallo, fracasoSpanish
- vika, epäonnistuminenFinnish
- panne, échec, ratéFrench
- meathlú, meathIrish
- fàilligeadhScottish Gaelic
- fallimento, fiasco, avaria, insuccessoItalian
- иш ордунан чыкпай калуу, жол болбооKyrgyz
- neveiksme, neizdošanāsLatvian
- faling, mislukking, fout, mislukkelingDutch
- svikt, misære, fiaskoNorwegian
- awaria, niepowodzenie, brak, nieudacznik, defekt, porażkaPolish
- falha, fracassoPortuguese
- поломка, выход из строя, сбой, провал, крахRussian
- thất bạiVietnamese
Get even more translations for failure »
Find a translation for the failure definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)