take exception to
"he demurred at my suggestion to work on Saturday"
exclude, except, leave out, leave off, omit, take outverb
prevent from being included or considered or accepted
"The bad results were excluded from the report"; "Leave off the top piece"
To exclude; to specify as being an exception.
To take exception, to object (to or against).
With the exception (that); used to introduce a clause, phrase or adverb forming an exception or qualification to something previously stated.
Unless; used to introduce a hypothetical case in which an exception may exist.
With the exception of; but.
There was nothing in the cupboard except a tin of beans.
to take or leave out (anything) from a number or a whole as not belonging to it; to exclude; to omit
to object to; to protest against
to take exception; to object; -- usually followed by to, sometimes by against; as, to except to a witness or his testimony
with exclusion of; leaving or left out; excepting
unless; if it be not so that
Etymology: [L. exceptus, p. p. of excipere to take or draw out, to except; ex out + capere to take: cf. F. excepter. See Capable.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ek-sept′, v.t. to take or leave out: to exclude.—v.i. to object.—prep. leaving out: excluding: but.—adj. and n. Except′ant.—prep. Except′ing, with the exception of, except.—n. Excep′tion, the act of excepting: that which is excepted: exclusion: objection: offence.—adj. Excep′tionable, objectionable.—adv. Excep′tionably.—adj. Excep′tional, peculiar.—adv. Excep′tionally.—adjs. Excep′tious, disposed to take exception; Except′ive, including, making, or being an exception; Except′less (Shak.), making an exception, usual.—n. Except′or. [L. excipĕre, exceptum—ex, out, capĕre, to take.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'except' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2534
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'except' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2639
The numerical value of except in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of except in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
I think being a girl has its own set of pressures, which are very different from those of boys, a lot of the mixed messages girls get are more about appearance. ‘ You’re perfect just the way you are, ’ except that every image in the media indicates that you’re not.
Every person in the chain of an organ donation, except one, profits.
I agree with all these things, by the way except were not going to take all the money from the police, i think we need our police department.
It's the same with any criminal violation : As they get smarter, we adapt, we find them, it's a cat-and-mouse game, except it's not a game. Kids are being abused, and it's our job to stop that.
There’s no reason such a young patient should have it, except as a congenital abnormality or medication induced.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for except
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- باستثناء, إلاArabic
- за выключэннем, акрамяBelarusian
- с изключение на, освен, освен ако, изключвамBulgarian
- vyjma, mimo, vyloučit, kromě, namítatCzech
- εξαιρώ, [[εξαιρούμενος, εκτός, διαφωνώGreek
- escepti, kromEsperanto
- salvo que, excepto, salvoSpanish
- باستثنای, جز, بجز, مگرPersian
- paitsi, erivapaus, vapauttaa, lukuun ottamatta, poikkeus, vastustaaFinnish
- objecter, protester, hormis, à l'exception de, s'élever, excepter, sauf, excepté, faire une exceptionFrench
- חוץ מ־Hebrew
- visszautasít, óvást emel, kivéve, kizárHungarian
- 除いて, 以外Japanese
- ...을 빼면, ... 외에는, ... 말고는Korean
- nisi, praeterLatin
- bortsett fra, utenomNorwegian
- bezwaar maken, uitsluiten, uitgezonderd, protesteren, uitzonderen, behalve, bezwaar hebbenDutch
- utanomNorwegian Nynorsk
- unnateki, unnta, unngå, unnateke, bortsett fra, unntattNorwegian
- oprócz, z wyjątkiemPolish
- excepcionar, salvo, fora, só que, objetar, menos, excetoPortuguese
- исключать, исключить, за исключением того, что, возразить, за исключением, исключая, кроме, возражатьRussian
- osim, sem, осим, семSerbo-Croatian
- okrem, vylúčiťSlovak
- förutom, bortsett frånSwedish
- за винятком, крімUkrainian
- phản đối, ngoại trừ, trừVietnamese
Get even more translations for except »
Find a translation for the except definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)