an item inserted in a written record
introduction, debut, first appearance, launching, unveiling, entry(noun)
the act of beginning something new
"they looked forward to the debut of their new product line"
entry, accounting entry, ledger entry(noun)
a written record of a commercial transaction
something (manuscripts or architectural plans and models or estimates or works of art of all genres etc.) submitted for the judgment of others (as in a competition)
"several of his submissions were rejected by publishers"; "what was the date of submission of your proposal?"
entrance, entranceway, entryway, entry, entree(noun)
something that provides access (to get in or get out)
"they waited at the entrance to the garden"; "beggars waited just outside the entryway to the cathedral"
entrance, entering, entry, ingress, incoming(noun)
the act of entering
"she made a grand entrance"
The act of entering.
Permission to enter.
entry for children only if accompanied by an adult
A doorway that provides a means of entering a building.
A small room immediately inside the front door of a house or other building, often having an access to a stairway and leading on to other rooms
A small group formed within a church, especially Episcopal, for simple dinner and fellowship, and to help facilitate new friendships
An item in a list, such as an article in a dictionary or encyclopedia; a record made in a log, diary or anything similarly organized; a datum in a database.
What does the entry for 2 August 2005 say?
A term at any position in a matrix.
The entry in the second row and first column of this matrix is 6.
Origin: From entree (feminine past participle of the verb entrer, French: entrée)
the act of entering or passing into or upon; entrance; ingress; hence, beginnings or first attempts; as, the entry of a person into a house or city; the entry of a river into the sea; the entry of air into the blood; an entry upon an undertaking
the act of making or entering a record; a setting down in writing the particulars, as of a transaction; as, an entry of a sale; also, that which is entered; an item
that by which entrance is made; a passage leading into a house or other building, or to a room; a vestibule; an adit, as of a mine
the exhibition or depositing of a ship's papers at the customhouse, to procure license to land goods; or the giving an account of a ship's cargo to the officer of the customs, and obtaining his permission to land the goods. See Enter, v. t., 8, and Entrance, n., 5
the actual taking possession of lands or tenements, by entering or setting foot on them
a putting upon record in proper form and order
the act in addition to breaking essential to constitute the offense or burglary
Origin: [OE. entree, entre, F. entre, fr. entrer to enter. See Enter, and cf. Entre.]
In economics, entry into a market means becoming a supplier of goods or services. Monopolies have an incentive to create barriers to entry.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
en′tri, n. act of entering: a passage into a short lane leading into a court: act of committing to writing: the thing written: (law) the taking possession of.—n. En′try-mon′ey, the money paid on entering a society, club, &c.—Port of entry (see Port).
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'entry' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1988
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'entry' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3507
Rank popularity for the word 'entry' in Nouns Frequency: #674
The numerical value of entry in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of entry in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Examples of entry in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of entry
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for entry
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- إدخال, ولوج, دخول, مادة, بند, دفتر, نفاذ, مدخل, قيد, فقرة, مفردةArabic
- достъп, статия, влизане, вход, вестибюлBulgarian
- heslo, položka, vstupCzech
- Eintrag, Zutritt, Eingang, Element, Eintritt, FlurGerman
- entrada, registro, recibidor, acceso, artículo, elemento, vestíbuloSpanish
- ورودی, درآمد, مدخل, ورود, درآمدن, درگاه, سرسرا, درایهPersian
- tuulikaappi, alkio, sisääntulo, pääsy, sisäänpääsy, sisäänkäynti, eteinen, piiri, artikkeli, hakusana, merkintä, saapuminenFinnish
- rubrique, coefficient, accès, entrée, vestibule, élément, article, enregistrementFrench
- masuk, lemaIndonesian
- vocabolo, entrata, ingresso, uscio, articolo, lemma, voce, accesso, via di accessoItalian
- エントリ, 入口, 項目, 要素, 入るJapanese
- trefwoord, notitie, invoer, toegang, entree, artikel, post, element, ingangDutch
- wjazd, wejście, wpis, wstęp, hasłoPolish
- entrada, acesso, verbete, registro, elementoPortuguese
- вступление, вход, запись, прихожая, элемент, въезд, вестибюль, статьяRussian
- ankomst, hall, entré, ingång, uppslagsord, uppslag, element, farstu, inträde, tillträde, artikel, postSwedish
- அரை, உள்நுழைவதற்கு அனுமதிTamil
- mục từVietnamese
Get even more translations for entry »
Find a translation for the entry definition in other languages:
Select another language: