arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke(verb)
call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
"arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"
educe, evoke, elicit, extract, draw out(verb)
deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning)
"We drew out some interesting linguistic data from the native informant"
derive by reason
"elicit a solution"
To evoke, educe (emotions, feelings, responses, etc.); to generate, obtain, or provoke as a response or answer.
To draw out, bring out, bring forth (something latent); to obtain information from someone or something.
To use logic to arrive at truth; to derive by reason; deduce; construe.
Origin: elicitus from elicere, to draw forth
elicited; drawn out; made real; open; evident
to draw out or entice forth; to bring to light; to bring out against the will; to deduce by reason or argument; as, to elicit truth by discussion
Origin: [L. elictus, p. p. of elicere to elicit; e + lacere to entice. Cf. Delight, Lace.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
e-lis′it, v.t. to entice: to bring to light: to deduce.—n. Elicitā′tion. [L. elicĕre, elicitum.]
elicit gives marketers control over the single most-used feature on a website: the search box. A drag and drop interface lets you prioritize and target results by context, time, keyword, location or any way you need. You curate the results, so you can better plan, promote and market your business.
The numerical value of elicit in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of elicit in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Examples of elicit in a Sentence
Today's NODX print reinforced our view that risks to the growth outlook is clearly skewed to the downside and could possibly elicit a further calibration in policy settings.
We found that men with darker skin and more stereotypically black facial features tended to be most likely to elicit biased size perceptions, even though they were actually no larger than men with lighter skin and less stereotypical facial features.
Whoever is doing this is just trying to elicit a fear or disrupt something.
What I have done is tried to elicit from him what Iran might be willing to do in order to change the dynamic in the Middle East for the better.
Maybe Sessions should spend more time cracking down on pill mills and the elicit use of opioids rather than outlawing cannabis.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for elicit
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- eruieren, schließen, herauslocken, entlocken, locken, elizitieren, hervorlocken, auslösen, hervorrufen, schlussfolgernGerman
- sonsacar, inferir, suscitar, obtener, deducir, provocarSpanish
- causer, réaliser, raisonner, déduireFrench
- 이끌어 내다Korean
- påkalle, resonnere, avstedkomme, vekke, slutte, fremkalleNorwegian
- oproepen, afleiden, ontlokken, teweegbrengen, veroorzaken, redenerenDutch
- устана́вливать, извлека́ть, установи́ть, извле́чь, де́лать вы́вод, сде́лать вы́вод, выявля́ть, вызыва́ть, вы́явить, вы́звать, вызыватьRussian
- izvući, polučiti, izazvati, evociratiSerbo-Croatian
- framkalla, väcka, locka fram, få framSwedish
- aydınlığa çıkarmak, temin etmek, yol açmak, neden olmak, ortaya çıkarmak, almak, sağlamak, aydınlatmak, edinmek, çıkarmak, tepki göstermek, meydana çıkarmak, tepkiye neden olmak, elde etmek, öğrenmekTurkish
Get even more translations for elicit »
Find a translation for the elicit definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)