the operator of a motor vehicle
someone who drives animals that pull a vehicle
a golfer who hits the golf ball with a driver
driver, device driver(noun)
(computer science) a program that determines how a computer will communicate with a peripheral device
driver, number one wood(noun)
a golf club (a wood) with a near vertical face that is used for hitting long shots from the tee
The person who drives beasts or a carriage; a coachman; a charioteer, etc.; hence, also, one who controls the movements of a any vehicle.
Origin: [From Drive.]
One who drives something, in any sense of the verb to drive.
Something that drives something, in any sense of the verb to drive.
A person who drives a motorized vehicle such as a car or a bus.
A person who drives some other vehicle.
a program that acts as an interface between an application and hardware, written specifically for the device it controls.
A golf club used to drive the ball a great distance.
a kind of sail, smaller than a fore and aft spanker on a square-rigged ship, a driver is tied to the same spars.
one who, or that which, drives; the person or thing that urges or compels anything else to move onward
the person who drives beasts or a carriage; a coachman; a charioteer, etc.; hence, also, one who controls the movements of a locomotive
an overseer of a gang of slaves or gang of convicts at their work
a part that transmits motion to another part by contact with it, or through an intermediate relatively movable part, as a gear which drives another, or a lever which moves another through a link, etc. Specifically:
the driving wheel of a locomotive
an attachment to a lathe, spindle, or face plate to turn a carrier
a crossbar on a grinding mill spindle to drive the upper stone
the after sail in a ship or bark, being a fore-and-aft sail attached to a gaff; a spanker
Origin: [From Drive.]
Driver is a series of mission-based action-adventure video games developed by Reflections Interactive, and originally published by GT Interactive and later by Atari. The gameplay consists of a mixture of action-adventure and driving in open world environments. Since the series began in 1999, there have been five main installments released. As of August 2011, the series has sold more than 16 million units worldwide.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. The main loop of an event-processing program; the code that gets commands and dispatches them for execution. 2. [techspeak] In device driver, code designed to handle a particular peripheral device such as a magnetic disk or tape unit. 3. In the TeX world and the computerized typesetting world in general, a program that translates some device-independent or other common format to something a real device can actually understand.
Driver (noun) a person who runs a vehicle.
Driver someone who drives a two or four-wheel vehicle.Submitted by pinkss5 on October 21, 2015
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'driver' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1976
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'driver' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1892
Rank popularity for the word 'driver' in Nouns Frequency: #595
The numerical value of driver in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of driver in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We do suspect the driver fell asleep.
There was no one in the driver's seat.
SpaceX's success has been a major driver.
The bus driver is a hero, an absolute hero.
The main driver is one, no surprises out of Europe.
Images & Illustrations of driver
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for driver
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مشغل, سائِقArabic
- sürücü, şoferAzerbaijani
- шафёр, вадзі́цель, кіро́ўцаBelarusian
- водач, драйвър, шофьо́рBulgarian
- controlador de dispositiu, conductorCatalan, Valencian
- řidička, řidič, šofér, ovladačCzech
- Fahrer, Fahrerin, TreiberGerman
- οδηγός, μηχανοδηγόςGreek
- conductora, conductor, controlador, choferSpanish
- autojuht, juhtEstonian
- راننده, شوفرPersian
- ajaja, kuski, ajuri, kuljettajaFinnish
- conductrice, conducteur, pilote, chauffeurFrench
- tiománaí, maide mórIrish
- נהגת, נהגHebrew
- ड्राइवर, चालकHindi
- sofőr, vezető, illesztőprogramHungarian
- վարորդ, դրայվերArmenian
- rekill, ökumaður, bílstjóriIcelandic
- ドライバー, 運転者, ドライバ, 運転手Japanese
- derefaKikuyu, Gikuyu
- biilertoqKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- អ្នកបើកឡាន, តៃកុងKhmer
- 드라이버, 운전사, 기사, 운전기사Korean
- şofêr, ajok, sayêq, ajovan, ajokarKurdish
- šoferis, tvarkyklė, vairuotojas, draiverisLithuanian
- šoferis, vadītājs, draiveris, dzinisLatvian
- taraiwa, kaitaraiwaMāori
- во́зач, шо́ферMacedonian
- sewwieqa, xufier, xufiera, drajver, sewwieqMaltese
- bestuurder, chauffeur, stuurprogrammaDutch
- naʼałbąąsiiNavajo, Navaho
- ډرېورPanjabi, Punjabi
- kierowca, szofer, sterownikPolish
- ډرېورPashto, Pushto
- condutor, controlador, driver, motorista, pilotoPortuguese
- șofer, conducător auto, conducătorRomanian
- води́тельница, шофёр, води́тель, дра́йверRussian
- vozàčica, драјвер, dràjver, upràvljāčkī prògram, vòzāč, управљачки програм, возач, возачицаSerbo-Croatian
- vodič, šofér, ovládačSlovak
- voznik, šoferSlovene
- shofer, makinistAlbanian
- förare, chaufför, drivrutinSwedish
- సారథి, చోదకుడు, డ్రైవర్Telugu
- คนขับรถ, คนขับThai
- şoför, sürücüTurkish
- шофе́р, во́дійUkrainian
- người lái, tài xếVietnamese
Get even more translations for driver »
Find a translation for the driver definition in other languages:
Select another language: