Definitions for distribution
ˌdɪs trəˈbyu ʃəndis·tri·bu·tion
Here are all the possible meanings and translations of the word distribution.
distribution, statistical distributionnoun
(statistics) an arrangement of values of a variable showing their observed or theoretical frequency of occurrence
the spatial or geographic property of being scattered about over a range, area, or volume
"worldwide in distribution"; "the distribution of nerve fibers"; "in complementary distribution"
the act of distributing or spreading or apportioning
the commercial activity of transporting and selling goods from a producer to a consumer
An act of distributing or state of being distributed.
An apportionment by law (of funds, property).
The process by which goods get to final consumers over a geographical market, including storing, selling, shipping and advertising.
The frequency of occurrence or extent of existence.
Anything distributed; portion; share
The result of distributing; arrangement.
A probability distribution; the set of relative likelihoods that a variable will have a value in a given interval.
A set of bundled software components; distro.
The apportionment of income or wealth in a population.
The wealth distribution became extremely skewed in the kleptocracy.
The process or result of the sale of securities, especially their placement among investors with long-term investment strategies.
Etymology: From distributio, from distribuere 'to distribute', itself from dis- 'apart' + tribuere 'to ' (from tribus).
Samuel Johnson's Dictionary
Etymology: distributio, Latin.
Of great riches there is no real use, except it be in the distribution. Francis Bacon, Essays.
Providence has made an equal distribution of natural gifts, whereof each creature severally has a share. Roger L'Estrange.
Every man in a great station would imitate the queen in the distribution of offices in his disposal. Jonathan Swift.
Let us govern our charitable distributions by this pattern of nature, and maintain a mutual circulation of benefits and returns. Francis Atterbury, Sermons.
the act of distributing or dispensing; the act of dividing or apportioning among several or many; apportionment; as, the distribution of an estate among heirs or children
separation into parts or classes; arrangement of anything into parts; disposition; classification
that which is distributed
a resolving a whole into its parts
the sorting of types and placing them in their proper boxes in the cases
the steps or operations by which steam is supplied to and withdrawn from the cylinder at each stroke of the piston; viz., admission, suppression or cutting off, release or exhaust, and compression of exhaust steam prior to the next admission
Product distribution is one of the four elements of the marketing mix. Distribution is the process of making a product or service available for use or consumption by a consumer or business user, using direct means, or using indirect means with intermediaries. The other three parts of the marketing mix are product, pricing, and promotion.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. A software source tree packaged for distribution; but see kit. Since about 1996 unqualified use of this term often implies ‘Linux distribution’. The short form distro is often used for this sense. 2. A vague term encompassing mailing lists and Usenet newsgroups (but not BBS fora); any topic-oriented message channel with multiple recipients. 3. An information-space domain (usually loosely correlated with geography) to which propagation of a Usenet message is restricted; a much-underutilized feature.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. The arrangement of troops for any purpose, such as a battle, march, or maneuver. 2. A planned pattern of projectiles about a point. 3. A planned spread of fire to cover a desired frontage or depth. 4. An official delivery of anything, such as orders or supplies. 5. The operational process of synchronizing all elements of the logistic system to deliver the
Military Dictionary and Gazetteer
Means, generally, any division or allotment made for the purposes of war; also minor arrangements made for the supply of corps.
The act and process of to share.
The distribution centre was created to organize and arrange for the distribution of goods and products efficiently.
Submitted by MaryC on March 14, 2020
Distribution of income is vital and just within society.
Submitted by MaryC on February 13, 2020
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'distribution' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1621
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'distribution' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2937
Rank popularity for the word 'distribution' in Nouns Frequency: #720
The numerical value of distribution in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of distribution in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
These residents need to be aware of their surroundings, and what could be in their water and the floodwater, there needs to be some sort of public communication. Either mass distribution of information or evacuating residents — it’s up to the agency to make that call.
Like much of the American public, earlier today Simon Schuster learned of plans by distribution client Post Hill Press to publish a book by Jonathan Mattingly, we have subsequently decided not be involved in the distribution of this book.
With PVH, we’ll be able to get in a better distribution channel and get the product to where it’s purchased at a more successful rate, retailers are starting to see this demo group more like the plus-size demographic was years ago.
I do not think that we have issues now in Europe that blatantly pertain to police brutality or issues of race transcending into our systems, but we do have an issue in Europe, which is the issue of inequalities and income distribution — making the best for everyone of what we have.
Beginning on Thursday, we are further restricting distribution due to the very limited supplies we have. Private vehicles will not be able to purchase petrol or diesel.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for distribution
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- разпределение, разпределяне, разпространениеBulgarian
- distribuce, rozděleníCzech
- Gliederung, Streuung, Absatz, Aufteilung, Distribution, Verbreitung, AusteilungGerman
- διανομή, μοιρασιά, κατανομήGreek
- disvastiĝo, distribuado, disdonoEsperanto
- jaotus, jaotisEstonian
- osa, levitys, osuus, levittäminen, jakelu, jakauma, jako, levikki, jakaminenFinnish
- sgaoileadhScottish Gaelic
- 分布, 配分, 配布Japanese
- diaeresis, distribūtiōLatin
- spreiding, verdeling, distributie, opdeling, verspreiding, uitdelingDutch
- rozkład, dystrybucjaPolish
- parte, porção, arranjo, distribuiçãoPortuguese
- distribuție, distribuireRomanian
- распределение, раздача, распространениеRussian
- дистрибуција, раздиоба, расподјела, dostava, rȁspodjela, distribúcija, ràzdioba, достоваSerbo-Croatian
- tilldelning, fördelning, utdelning, distributionSwedish
- phân phátVietnamese
Get even more translations for distribution »
Find a translation for the distribution definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these distribution definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"distribution." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 10 Dec. 2022. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/distribution>.