a feeling of dissatisfaction that results when your expectations are not realized
"his hopes were so high he was doomed to disappointment"
disappointment, dashing hopes(noun)
an act (or failure to act) that disappoints someone
The emotion felt when a strongly held expectation is not met.
Choking back his disappointment after his own team's splendid wins against Liverpool and Aston Villa, he said: "I've got to be humble and say we were beaten by a very good side." uE000177698uE001 Today, News Group Newspapers Ltd, 1992
A circumstance in which a strongly held expectation is not met.
the act of disappointing, or the state of being disappointed; defeat or failure of expectation or hope; miscarriage of design or plan; frustration
that which disappoints
Disappointment is the feeling of dissatisfaction that follows the failure of expectations or hopes to manifest. Similar to regret, it differs in that a person feeling regret focuses primarily on the personal choices that contributed to a poor outcome, while a person feeling disappointment focuses on the outcome itself. It is a source of psychological stress. The study of disappointment—its causes, impact, and the degree to which individual decisions are motivated by a desire to avoid it—is a focus in the field of decision analysis, as disappointment is one of two primary emotions involved in decision-making.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. The cradle of the ideal. 2. The skeleton of Purpose and the skull and crossbones of Desire. 3. A feeling in regard to the past that comes to every one on the Thirty-first of each December. 4. The final issue of any act begun yesterday, today or tomorrow. 5. The original road to Damascus and Horeb. 6. An alluvium deposited by the waves of Time in the human soul, and which becomes the basis of psychological Mont Blancs.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'disappointment' in Nouns Frequency: #2071
The numerical value of disappointment in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of disappointment in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Examples of disappointment in a Sentence
The U.S. jobs data was a disappointment and postpones expectations of a lift-off by the end of this year which is not dollar positive.
The market is expressing its disappointment, but this is a short-term tantrum.
This action by Thailand is clearly a serious disappointment.
Im used to coming here every week, but during the last few months, I grown used to disappointment, it feels good to be here again and beat the wave.
1. Laughter is my essence, my only attitude to everything and everything. 2. Laughter is the scream of the soul. 3. From the depths of one’s self, a powerful energy of understanding and awareness emerges, everything is rapidly going out. Everything inside breaks and shakes from the crazy, frightening, heartbreaking laughter of pure madness. An endless, contagious laugh and a huge wicked, mocking, malicious smile in the soul and on the face. And from this smile and this laugh, everyone who sees her also begins to smile, and then laugh like crazy, and completely go crazy. All this insight from deep disappointment in everything and everything. Introducing into the lyrical, vital, sad sadness in the soul of man. 4. A race of smiles or a race called: Smile. This is my fantastic race of vision that you see in my many drawings. Their smiles as a symbol of awareness are something absolutely brilliant. A huge amount of information and energy passes through you, and it makes you laugh only. 5. You are in the dimension of eternal causeless laughter, here everyone laughs forever. In this immoral place, everything is not real, in this unscrupulous space, everything is not serious. 6. Pretended laughter is heard much more often than sincere. 7. Inside, everything bursts with laughter from awareness and understanding, sincere laughter that leads people into deep shock. 8. Look, as in this funny terror, people die of laughter, from awareness and understanding, from ridiculous horrors. This laughter drives people crazy. 9. Laugh louder like a madman, I want to hear how your madness laughs, how laughter kills pain. 14. You go down, you are immersed in endless repetition in an open smile, in which an open smile. In this abyss of laughter of reality, at the very bottom, you know yourself. 15. Creativity is laughter in the infinitely deep void of nothingness. 16. Entrance into this world in the form of a smile in the shape of a heart, you enter the human world, into the dimension of laughter, the sarcastic-satirical-ironic sphere of comic, funny pessimism. The way out of this dimension is also in the form of a smile in the shape of a heart. 17. Human reality is an artificial chaos of the subconscious, turned upside down, a made-up world woven from a thousand and a thousand ideas. Where their consciousness gradually mutates, turning them thereby into unknown monsters. 18. Only those steps are holy that overwhelm the madness and chaos in the world. 19. Madness is when garbage recycling in the head breaks down. 20. If you want to destroy the madness and chaos in this world, it is enough to just give up your own egoism. 22. The human world is a comedic chaos. 23. Chaos is someone’s baby rattle. 25. Chaos reigns in society because everyone in this world learns to live their own way. 26. Feelings and emotions are seeds of chaos. 27. We are not afraid of chaos in society, we are afraid of ourselves. 28. Truth is an evil, mocking smile that awakens consciousness, awareness, and causes an evil smile on the face. 29. Evil smiles that never leave one's face. Only deeply understanding people. 30. Optimism is a fake smile. 31. It is funny to realize that under the mask of a scalp, an eternal smile is visible. 32. What are your eyes sad about and what is your smile hiding? 33. From the awareness of everything and everything, the smile on the face becomes wider and wider. 35. Creativity is like a butterfly flying, light wings of inspiration will help fly away beyond the limits of human understanding. 36. Pure madness is when you completely stop pretending. 37. Depression is a free fall into the depths of one’s soul. 38. The laughter of rage and the bloody gloom in a smile in consciousness from an evil joke of reality from the fact that you are not worthy to live like everyone else. The ragged strings of the ever-laughing psyche, like the blinking light of madness where there is insight between light and darkness. The interrupted melody of the harmony of the soul. The silence of insight overcomes the mind, the light is visible leading to a new dimension of thinking, because everything is visible through the transparent eyelids of the vigilance of fear, and only unconsciousness temporarily closes our eyes from fatigue in the realm of the subconscious. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for disappointment
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- خيبة أملArabic
- разочарова́ние, неприя́тностBulgarian
- briseadh-dùil, mealladh-dùilScottish Gaelic
- 실망, 失望Korean
- നിരാശ, ഇച്ഛാഭംഗംMalayalam
- teleurstelling, tegenvaller, tegenslagDutch
- vonbrot, vonbrott, skuffelseNorwegian Nynorsk
- rozczarowanie, zawódPolish
- dezamăgire, decepțieRomanian
- неприя́тность, разочарова́ниеRussian
- razočarenje, разочарењеSerbo-Croatian
- thất vọng, sự, 失望Vietnamese
Get even more translations for disappointment »
Find a translation for the disappointment definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these disappointment definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"disappointment." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 26 Nov. 2020. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/disappointment>.