the main meal of the day served in the evening or at midday
"dinner will be at 8"; "on Sundays they had a large dinner when they returned from church"
dinner, dinner party(noun)
a party of people assembled to have dinner together
"guests should never be late to a dinner party"
The main meal of the day, often eaten in the evening.
An evening meal.
A midday meal .
A meal given to an animal.
Give the dog its dinner.
A formal meal for many people eaten for a special occasion.
Origin: From disner, from dis- + ieiuno.
the principal meal of the day, eaten by most people about midday, but by many (especially in cities) at a later hour
an entertainment; a feast
Origin: [F. dner, fr. dner to dine. See Dine.]
Dinner is a word used with different, overlapping meanings; it is often the name given to the main meal of the day, or sometimes to the noon, early afternoon or evening meal, regardless of its relative size. Depending upon culture, dinner may actually be the first, second, third or fourth meal of the day. Historically, it referred to the first meal of the day, eaten around noon, and is still occasionally used for a noontime meal, if it is a large or main meal; the meaning as the evening meal is becoming increasingly common in the English-speaking world.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
din′ėr, n. the chief meal of the day: a feast.—ns. Dinnerette′, a little dinner; Dinn′er-hour.—adj. Dinn′erless.—ns. Dinn′er-tā′ble; Dinn′er-time; Dinn′er-wag′on, a set of light movable shelves for a dining-room. [O. Fr. disner, prop. breakfast. See Dine.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'dinner' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1862
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'dinner' in Written Corpus Frequency: #843
Rank popularity for the word 'dinner' in Nouns Frequency: #702
The numerical value of dinner in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of dinner in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of dinner
Translations for dinner
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- غداء, عشاءArabic
- вячэра, абедBelarusian
- банкет, хранене, обед, вечеряBulgarian
- šlichta, oběd, večeře, žrádlo, krmeníCzech
- Futter, Mittagessen, HauptmahlzeitGerman
- μεσημεριανό, φαγητό, γεύμα, κύριο γεύμα, τροφή, δείπνοGreek
- illallinen, päivällinen, ruoka, lounasFinnish
- dîner, déjeuner, souperFrench
- ebéd, vacsoraHungarian
- cena, pranzoItalian
- 夕食, 昼食, 昼飯, 正餐Japanese
- vakarienė, ėdalas, jovalas, pietūsLithuanian
- vakariņas, pusdienasLatvian
- вечера, ручекMacedonian
- цайллага, оройн хоол, дайллага, үдийн хоол, амьтны хоол, өдрийн хоолMongolian
- makan malamMalay
- ċena, pranzuMaltese
- voer, avondeten, middageten, avondmaaltijd, lunch, dinee, middagmaaltijd, avondmaal, middagmaal, etenDutch
- middagNorwegian Nynorsk
- eʼeʼáahgo daʼadánígííNavajo, Navaho
- obiad, bankietPolish
- banquete, prândio, jantar, ceia, ração, almoçoPortuguese
- nutreț, masă de seară, dineu, prânz, banchet, cinăRomanian
- ужин, банкет, еда, корм, обедRussian
- cena, chenaSardinian
- večera, ручак, обед, ručak, obed, вечераSerbo-Croatian
- večera, obedSlovak
- večerja, južina, kosilo, obedSlovene
- вечеря, обідUkrainian
- bữa trưa, bữa tối, bữa chiềuVietnamese
Get even more translations for dinner »
Find a translation for the dinner definition in other languages:
Select another language: