the quality of being unlike or dissimilar
"there are many differences between jazz and rock"
deviation, divergence, departure, difference(noun)
a variation that deviates from the standard or norm
"the deviation from the mean"
dispute, difference, difference of opinion, conflict(noun)
a disagreement or argument about something important
"he had a dispute with his wife"; "there were irreconcilable differences"; "the familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats"
a significant change
"the difference in her is amazing"; "his support made a real difference"
the number that remains after subtraction; the number that when added to the subtrahend gives the minuend
The quality of being different.
You need to learn to be more tolerant of difference.
A characteristic of something that makes it different from something else.
There are three differences between these two pictures.
A disagreement or argument.
Significant change in or effect on a situation or state.
The result of a subtraction; sometimes the absolute value of this result.
To distinguish or differentiate.
the act of differing; the state or measure of being different or unlike; distinction; dissimilarity; unlikeness; variation; as, a difference of quality in paper; a difference in degrees of heat, or of light; what is the difference between the innocent and the guilty?
disagreement in opinion; dissension; controversy; quarrel; hence, cause of dissension; matter in controversy
that by which one thing differs from another; that which distinguishes or causes to differ; mark of distinction; characteristic quality; specific attribute
an addition to a coat of arms to distinguish the bearings of two persons, which would otherwise be the same. See Augmentation, and Marks of cadency, under Cadency
the quality or attribute which is added to those of the genus to constitute a species; a differentia
the quantity by which one quantity differs from another, or the remainder left after subtracting the one from the other
to cause to differ; to make different; to mark as different; to distinguish
Difference is the third album of the Finnish power metal band Dreamtale released on 25 April 2005 on Spinefarm Records. It was also released in Japan. It features on vocals for the first time in the band Jarkko Ahola of the band Teräsbetoni.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'difference' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #948
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'difference' in Written Corpus Frequency: #626
Rank popularity for the word 'difference' in Nouns Frequency: #195
The numerical value of difference in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of difference in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of difference
Translations for difference
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اختلاف, فرقArabic
- разногласие, различие, разлика, несъгласие, различавамBulgarian
- পার্থক্য, তফাতBengali
- diferènciaCatalan, Valencian
- forskel, differensDanish
- Unterschied, Differenz, Andersartigkeit, Meinungsverschiedenheit, Anderssein, Unterscheidung, unterscheiden, differenzierenGerman
- malsameco, diferencoEsperanto
- تفاضل, اختلاف, فرق, تفاوت, فرق گذاشتنPersian
- erilaisuus, ero, mielipide-ero, eroavaisuus, erotus, erimielisyysFinnish
- différend, différenceFrench
- diofar, caochladhScottish Gaelic
- הפרש, הבדל, שוני, הבדילHebrew
- भेद, अंतर, फ़र्क़Hindi
- selisih, bedaIndonesian
- 差異, 差, 違いJapanese
- ËnnerscheedLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- verschil, meningsverschil, onderscheid, onderscheiden, differentiërenDutch
- diferença, diferenciarPortuguese
- различие, отличие, разница, разногла́сие, разность, отличительная чертаRussian
- razlika, različnostSlovene
- avvikelse, differens, tvist, olikhet, skillnad, tvistepunkt, meningsskiljaktighet, skilja, skilja åtSwedish
- భేదము, తేడా, విభేదముTelugu
- ayrım, farkTurkish
- انتر, فرقUrdu
Get even more translations for difference »
Find a translation for the difference definition in other languages:
Select another language: