dairy, dairy farm(noun)
a farm where dairy products are produced
A place, often on a farm, where milk is processed and turned into products such as butter and cheese.
A shop selling dairy products.
(also dairy products or dairy produce) Products produced from milk.
A corner-store, superette or 'mini-mart' of some description.
referring to products produced from milk.
referring to the milk production and processing industries
on food labelling, containing fats only from dairy sources (e.g. dairy ice cream)
Origin: Origin 1250-1300, ( daierie and other forms), from dey + -ery.
the place, room, or house where milk is kept, and converted into butter or cheese
that department of farming which is concerned in the production of milk, and its conversion into butter and cheese
a dairy farm
Origin: [OE. deierie, from deie, daie, maid; of Scand. origin; cf. Icel. deigja maid, dairymaid, Sw. deja, orig., a baking maid, fr. Icel. deig. 66. See Dough.]
A dairy is a business enterprise established for the harvesting of animal milk – mostly from cows or goats, but also from buffalo, sheep, horses or camels – for human consumption. A dairy is typically located on a dedicated dairy farm or section of a multi-purpose farm that is concerned with the harvesting of milk. Terminology differs between countries. For example, in the United States, a farm building where milk is harvested is often called a "milking parlor". In New Zealand such a building is historically known as a "milking shed" or "milking parlour". Sometimes milking sheds are referred to by their type, such as "herring bone shed" or "pit parlour". In some countries, especially those with small numbers of animals being milked, as well as harvesting the milk from an animal, the dairy may also process the milk into butter, cheese and yogurt, for example. This is a traditional method of producing specialist milk products, especially in Europe. In the United States a dairy can also be a place that processes, distributes and sells dairy products, or a room, building or establishment where milk is stored and processed into milk products, such as butter or cheese. In New Zealand English the singular use of the word dairy almost exclusively refers to the corner convenience store, or superette. This usage is historical as such stores were a common place for the public to buy milk products.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
dā′ri, n. the place where milk is kept, and butter and cheese made: an establishment for the supply of milk.—ns. Dai′ry-farm; Dai′rying; Dai′rymaid; Dai′ryman. [M. E. deye.—Ice. deigja, a dairymaid; orig. a kneader of dough.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'dairy' in Nouns Frequency: #2994
The numerical value of dairy in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of dairy in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It's too scary to eat Dairy - Johnny The Walker
Forty per cent of milk and dairy products in Mexico are consumed unpasteurized.
The practices of this mega-dairy are no different than thousands of others across the country.
As a high-end bakery chain, we are willing to pay prices for dairy products of a superior quality.
Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope.
Images & Illustrations of dairy
Translations for dairy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- млечни произведения, млечен, мандра, млекарницаBulgarian
- mléčný, mlékárnaCzech
- mejeri, mejeriproduktDanish
- Molkereiprodukte, Milchprodukte, Milchladen, MolkereiGerman
- γαλακτοκομικός, γαλακτοκομικά, γαλακτοκομείο, γαλακτοπωλείοGreek
- laktaĵoj, fromaĝfarejoEsperanto
- granja, establo, lechería, minisúper, lácteo, granja lechera, lácteos, tiendita, supercitoSpanish
- maitokauppa, lähikauppa, meijeri, maitotuoteFinnish
- laitière, laiterie, laitier, alimentation générale, dépanneur, crémerie, laitagesFrench
- מוצרי חלב, מחלבהHebrew
- կաթնարան, կաթնատուն, կաթնամթերքArmenian
- mjólkurbúð, mjólkurafurðir, mjólkurbúIcelandic
- latteria, latticini, caseario, caseificio, alimentariItalian
- 牧場, 牛乳屋, 牛乳販売店, 酪農, 乳製品, コンビニJapanese
- რძის პროდუქტები, ერბო-კარაქის ქარხანა, რძის, რძის ფერმაGeorgian
- млечна, гранап, бакалница, млечно, млечен, млекарница, млечни производиMacedonian
- zuivel, zuivel-Dutch
- meieri, meieri-, melkeprodukter, melke-, melkebutikk, meieriprodukterNorwegian
- mleczarnia, nabiałPolish
- lacticínios, mercearia, leitariaPortuguese
- lactate, untărieRomanian
- маслобойня, продукты, молочный, магазин, молочная, маслодельня, молочная фермаRussian
Get even more translations for dairy »
Find a translation for the dairy definition in other languages:
Select another language: