craft, craftiness, cunning, foxiness, guile, slyness, wiliness(noun)
shrewdness as demonstrated by being skilled in deception
crafty artfulness (especially in deception)
attractive especially by means of smallness or prettiness or quaintness
"a cute kid with pigtails"; "a cute little apartment"; "cunning kittens"; "a cunning baby"
crafty, cunning, dodgy, foxy, guileful, knavish, slick, sly, tricksy, tricky, wily(adj)
marked by skill in deception
"cunning men often pass for wise"; "deep political machinations"; "a foxy scheme"; "a slick evasive answer"; "sly as a fox"; "tricky Dick"; "a wily old attorney"
clever, cunning, ingenious(adj)
showing inventiveness and skill
"a clever gadget"; "the cunning maneuvers leading to his success"; "an ingenious solution to the problem"
knowing; skillful; dexterous
wrought with, or exhibiting, skill or ingenuity; ingenious; curious; as, cunning work
crafty; sly; artful; designing; deceitful
pretty or pleasing; as, a cunning little boy
knowledge; art; skill; dexterity
the faculty or act of using stratagem to accomplish a purpose; fraudulent skill or dexterity; deceit; craft
Origin: [AS. cunnung trial, or Icel. kunnandi knowledge. See Cunning, a.]
Cunning was a Japanese comedy duo from Fukuoka Prefecture. Cunning consisted of the pudgy, short-tempered Takanori Takeyama, and the rail-thin Tadayuki Nakashima. Known for his bursts of extreme anger, though said to be much more sedated off-camera, Takeyama is the boke of the unit. The tsukkomi, Nakashima, fell ill with leukemia in 2005 and took indefinite leave from work until his death from pneumonia on December 20, 2006, aged 35. The name of the duo, cunning, while meaning "sly" or "clever" in English, refers to the act of cheating on a test in Japanese.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kun′ing, adj. knowing: skilful: artful: crafty.—n. knowledge: skill: faculty of using stratagem to accomplish a purpose: artifice.—adv. Cunn′ingly.—n. Cunn′ingness, quality of being cunning: artfulness, slyness. [A.S. cunnan, to know.]
The numerical value of cunning in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of cunning in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
He's been very cunning about it.
The weak in courage is strong in cunning.
He is a very cunning and dangerous individual.
A man one year elder to you is one cunning year elder to you.
Nothing is more damaging to a state than that cunning men pass for wise.
Images & Illustrations of cunning
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for cunning
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- коварен, лукав, лукавство, сръчност, изкусен, сръчен, коварство, умениеBulgarian
- murri, astutCatalan, Valencian
- gewandt, geschickt, gerissen, Gerissenheit, listig, schlauGerman
- رند, مکار, حیله گریPersian
- taitava, ovela, taitavuus, oveluus, kiero, kierousFinnish
- talentueux, rusé, sournoiserie, fourberieFrench
- seòltaScottish Gaelic
- dörzsölt, ravasz, ügyes, alattomos, csalafinta, cselesHungarian
- furbizia, ingegnoso, astuto, furbo, furberiaItalian
- 狡猾, 巧妙Japanese
- sluw, handig, list en bedrog, geslepen, doortrapt, sluwheid, kundigheid, bedreven, leepDutch
- esperto, astutoPortuguese
- șiret, capacitate, viclenie, priceput, vicleanRomanian
- коварство, дошлый, пронырливый, коварный, хитрость, ловкий, умелый, искусство, лукавый, хитрый, искусный, умениеRussian
- chytrý, prefíkaný, mazanýSlovak
- listig, slug, slughet, listSwedish
- తరహా, కపటము, నేర్పరిTelugu
- khéo léoVietnamese
Get even more translations for cunning »
Find a translation for the cunning definition in other languages:
Select another language: