condom, rubber, safety, safe, prophylactic(noun)
contraceptive device consisting of a sheath of thin rubber or latex that is worn over the penis during intercourse
A flexible sleeve made of latex or other impermeable material such as sheepskin, worn over the penis by males as means of a contraceptive or as a way to prevent the spread of STDs.
Origin: . Many theories exist. See guantone, from guanto
A condom is a barrier device commonly used during sexual intercourse to reduce the probability of pregnancy and spreading sexually transmitted diseases. It is put on a man's erect penis and physically blocks ejaculated semen from entering the body of a sexual partner. Condoms are also used for collection of semen for use in infertility treatment. Because condoms are waterproof, elastic, and durable, they are also used for non-sexual purposes such as creating waterproof microphones and protecting rifle barrels from clogging. In the modern age, condoms are most often made from latex, but some are made from other materials such as polyurethane, polyisoprene, or lamb intestine. A female condom is also available, often made of nitrile. As a method of birth control, male condoms have the advantage of being inexpensive, easy to use, having few side effects, and offering protection against sexually transmitted diseases. With proper knowledge and application technique—and use at every act of intercourse—women whose partners use male condoms experience a 2% per-year pregnancy rate with perfect use and a 15% per-year pregnancy rate with typical use. Condoms have been used for at least 400 years. Since the 19th century, they have been one of the most popular methods of contraception in the world. While widely accepted in modern times, condoms have generated some controversy, primarily over what role they should play in sex education classes.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. The protective plastic bag that accompanies 3.5-inch microfloppy diskettes. Rarely, also used of (paper) disk envelopes. Unlike the write protect tab, the condom (when left on) not only impedes the practice of SEX but has also been shown to have a high failure rate as drive mechanisms attempt to access the disk — and can even fatally frustrate insertion. 2. The protective cladding on a light pipe. 3. keyboard condom: A flexible, transparent plastic cover for a keyboard, designed to provide some protection against dust and programming fluid without impeding typing. 4. elephant condom: the plastic shipping bags used inside cardboard boxes to protect hardware in transit. 5. n. obs. A dummy directory /usr/tmp/sh, created to foil the Great Worm by exploiting a portability bug in one of its parts. So named in the title of a comp.risks article by Gene Spafford during the Worm crisis, and again in the text of The Internet Worm Program: An Analysis, Purdue Technical Report CSD-TR-823.
The numerical value of condom in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of condom in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Fear is the condom of life. It doesn't allow you to enjoy things.
I regret not using a condom one or two times when this whole thing happened.
This kind of inspired us to make a condom, as it could save hundreds of thousands of lives.
Among those who have been interrogated by police in the past year, condom usage rates are clearly lower.
Paper babies are being handed out to EVERYONE. They have ALL HAD CONDOM FAILURE AND THE WHOLE CLASS IS PREGNANT.
Images & Illustrations of condom
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for condom
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- كَانْدُوم, عَازِل ذَكَرِي, وَاقِي ذَكَرِي, كُونْدُومArabic
- кондо́м, презервати́вBulgarian
- tog, stevellBreton
- preservatiu, condó, condomCatalan, Valencian
- prezervativ, kondomCzech
- kondom, præservativDanish
- Pariser, Gummi, Präservativ, Puderdose, Präser, Ficktüte, Fuffz´cher, KondomGerman
- kondomo, preventilo, penisingoEsperanto
- condón, profiláctico, goma, preservativoSpanish
- preservatiiv, kumm, kondoom, kandossEstonian
- preserbatibo, kondoiBasque
- کاندم, لاستیک, کاپوتPersian
- kondomi, kortsu, kumiFinnish
- préservatif, capote anglaise, condom, capoteFrench
- profiláctico, preservativo, condónGalician
- निरोध, कंडोमHindi
- գանդոն, պահպանակArmenian
- condom, preservativoInterlingua
- preservativo, profilattico, condomItalian
- үрпекқап, презерватив, мүшеқапKazakh
- ស្រោមក្ត, អាវភ្លៀងKhmer
- pūkoro ureMāori
- кондо́м, презервати́в, накурник, курто́нMacedonian
- निरोध, कॉंन्डोमMarathi
- ေရာ္ဘာအိတ္စြပ္, ကြန္ဒုံးBurmese
- capotje, regenjasje, condoomDutch
- gummi, kondomNorwegian
- akááʼ ałtsoozígííNavajo, Navaho
- preservatiu, condòmOccitan
- ਨਿਰੋਧPanjabi, Punjabi
- prezerwatywa, kondomPolish
- camisa-de-vênus, camisinha, preservativoPortuguese
- гондо́н, презервати́в, кондо́мRussian
- prezervativ, кондом, презерватив, kondomSerbo-Croatian
- prezervatív, kondómSlovak
- kondomu, ndomuSwahili
- కండోం, తొడుగు, నిరోధ్Telugu
- prezervatif, kondomTurkish
- túi cao su, bao cao su, bao dương vậtVietnamese
Get even more translations for condom »
Find a translation for the condom definition in other languages:
Select another language: