a professional performer who tells jokes and performs comical acts
amusing, comic, comical, funny, laughable, mirthful, risible(adj)
arousing or provoking laughter
"an amusing film with a steady stream of pranks and pratfalls"; "an amusing fellow"; "a comic hat"; "a comical look of surprise"; "funny stories that made everybody laugh"; "a very funny writer"; "it would have been laughable if it hadn't hurt so much"; "a mirthful experience"; "risible courtroom antics"
of or relating to or characteristic of comedy
A cartoon story, a graphic novel
A children's newspaper
related to comedy
Origin: From comicus, from κωμικός, from κῶμος.
relating to comedy, as distinct from tragedy
causing mirth; ludicrous
Origin: [L. comicus pertaining to comedy, Gr. kwmiko`s: cf. F. comique. See Comedy.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kom′ik, adj. relating to comedy: raising mirth: droll.—n. (coll.) an amusing person: (coll.) a comic paper.—adj. Com′ical, funny: queer: ludicrous.—ns. Comical′ity, Com′icalness.—adv. Com′ically.—n. Comique (kō-mēk′), a comic actor or singer. [See Comedy.]
The Roycroft Dictionary
Tragedy viewed from the wings.
The numerical value of comic in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of comic in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I read comic books when I was a kid, i don't read them now.
God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.
There is not one female comic who was beautiful as a little girl.
The comic is the perception of the opposite; humor is the feeling of it.
But of course in this case the rhetoric is so overdone that it has comic overtones.
Images & Illustrations of comic
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for comic
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ко́мик, ко́микс, комедиен, комичен, смешенBulgarian
- koomikko, sarjakuva, koominen, komediaFinnish
- comédien, bande dessinée, BD, marrant, drôle, cocasse, comiqueFrench
- greannán, greannmharIrish
- קומי, קומיקאית, קומיקאיHebrew
- banda designate, comicaInterlingua
- striscia, comico, fumetto, giornaletto, giornalinoItalian
- ко́мичар, комедиски, стрип, комиченMacedonian
- komisch, humorist, strip, jeugdkrant, grappig, komiek, stripboek, stripverhaal, kinderkrantDutch
- komik, komiksPolish
- cartum, história em quadrinhos, comediante, historinha, cômico, humorista, história de quadrinhos, banda desenhada, engraçado, divertidoPortuguese
- комический, комедийный, смешной, ко́мик, комичный, эксце́нтрик, ко́миксRussian
- kòmičan, smijéšanSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for comic »
Find a translation for the comic definition in other languages:
Select another language: