the distance by which one thing clears another; the space between them
headroom, headway, clearance(noun)
vertical space available to allow easy passage under something
permission to proceed
"the plane was given clearance to land"
The act of clearing or something (such as a space) cleared
The distance between two moving objects, especially between parts of a machine
The height or width of a tunnel, bridge or other passage, or the distance between a vehicle and the walls or roof of such passage; a gap, headroom.
A permission for a vehicle to proceed, or for a person to travel.
A permission to have access to sensitive or secret documents or other information
A sale of merchandise at a reduced price.
The settlement of transactions involving securities or means of payment such as checks by means of a clearing house.
The removal of harmful substances from the blood; renal clearance.
The act of potting all the remaining balls on a table at one visit.
The act of kicking a ball away from the goal one is defending.
the act of clearing; as, to make a thorough clearance
a certificate that a ship or vessel has been cleared at the customhouse; permission to sail
clear or net profit
the distance by which one object clears another, as the distance between the piston and cylinder head at the end of a stroke in a steam engine, or the least distance between the point of a cogwheel tooth and the bottom of a space between teeth of a wheel with which it engages
In medicine, the clearance is a measurement of the renal excretion ability. Although clearance may also involve other organs than the kidney, it is almost synonymous with renal clearance or renal plasma clearance. Each substance has a specific clearance that depends on its filtration characteristics. Clearance is a function of glomerular filtration, secretion from the peritubular capillaries to the nephron, and reabsorption from the nephron back to the peritubular capillaries. Clearance is constant in first-order kinetics because a constant fraction of the drug is eliminated per unit time, but it is variable in zero-order kinetics, because a constant amount of drug is eliminated per unit time.
The numerical value of clearance in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of clearance in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of clearance in a Sentence
Right now, the Taliban have left Kunduz city. A clearance operation is ongoing.
Right now there is no fighting but a search and clearance operation is underway.
The President's 'revocation' of Mr. Brennan's security clearance creates a troubling precedent.
Bottom line, everybody who has access to potentially classified information has to have the proper clearance beforehand.
This security measure will doubtlessly increase the processing time of clearance applications and potentially create a backlog.
Images & Illustrations of clearance
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for clearance
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- разпродажба, пречистване, луфт, разчистване, клирингBulgarian
- rebuigCatalan, Valencian
- acceso, permiso, claro, espacio, limpieza, ganga, despeje, liquidación, oferta, barata, remate, compensaciónSpanish
- alennusmyynti, leveys, lupa, selvitys, välys, pelivara, kulkulupa, valtuutus, vapaa, tyhjennysmyynti, puhdistuma, raivaus, varoetäisyys, matkustuslupa, etäisyys, korkeus, raivio, puhdistusFinnish
- soldes, dégagement, braderie, liquidationFrench
- spazio, autorizzazione, piazza pulita, liquidazione, divario, permesso, gioco, sgombero, saldo, luce, compensazione, via libera, accesso, repulisti, svendita, filtraggioItalian
- дозвола, расчистување, клиринг, пречистување, распродажбаMacedonian
- чистка, зазор, расчистка, просвет, клиринг, разрешение, ликвидация, люфт, виза, клиренс, очищение, очистка, распродажаRussian
- utförsäljning, frihöjd, rensningSwedish
Get even more translations for clearance »
Find a translation for the clearance definition in other languages:
Select another language: