surely, certainly, sure, for sure, for certain, sure enough, sure as shooting(adverb)
definitely or positively (`sure' is sometimes used informally for `surely')
"the results are surely encouraging"; "she certainly is a hard worker"; "it's going to be a good day for sure"; "they are coming, for certain"; "they thought he had been killed sure enough"; "he'll win sure as shooting"; "they sure smell good"; "sure he'll come"
In a way which is certain; with certainty.
Without doubt, surely; of course.
An emphatic affirmative answer.
Would you like it with ice? Certainly, and with lemon please.
without doubt or question; unquestionably
We certainly require some night rain for the garden and fields.Submitted by MaryC on May 30, 2020
Certainly vs. Definitely -- In this Grammar.com article you will learn the differences between Certainly and Definitely.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'certainly' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #572
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'certainly' in Written Corpus Frequency: #323
Rank popularity for the word 'certainly' in Adverbs Frequency: #71
The numerical value of certainly in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of certainly in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of certainly in a Sentence
This (rejection) certainly makes it clear that even if the HK exchange were to reconsider the terms of the transaction, it shows fundamentally the LSE board would prefer to go down the Refinitiv route.
We don't anticipate moving the schedule around much, certainly not in 2020.
We’re just trying to get people to try it, you know, so many people have a little phobia about drinking tequila. [ They think ] it's going to be nasty, you're going to hold your nose and drink it down as fast as you can and suck on a lime and lick some salt — but our tequila certainly isn't that way.
The governor would obviously like to see that there is enthusiastic and widespread and diverse support for his campaign, i would say that you’re doing very well in South Carolina, and I would certainly encourage him to run.
Certainly this kind of environment, everybody likes.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for certainly
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- بالتأكيد, بدون شك, بدون نقاش, من المؤكدArabic
- разбира се, несъмнено, безспорноBulgarian
- certamentCatalan, Valencian
- jistě, zajisté, nepochybně, určitěCzech
- zweifellos, natürlich, gewiss, freilich, sicherlich, sicherGerman
- βεβαίως, ασφαλώς, σίγουραGreek
- ciertamente, sin duda, por supuestoSpanish
- بطور محرزPersian
- totta kai, epäilemättä, kyllä kiitos, todellakin, ilman muuta, varmastiFinnish
- sans nul doute, pour sûr, sûrement, bien sûr, certainement, sans aucun doute, évidemmentFrench
- בוודאי, בוודאותHebrew
- անշուշտ, իհարկե, անկասկածArmenian
- もちろん, 絶対, 必ず, 確実, 全く, 確かに, その通りJapanese
- anaoa, apa ia, āpāiaMāori
- beslist, voorzeker, en of, zeker, waarlijkDutch
- zdecydowanie, z pewnością, na pewnoPolish
- sem dúvida, certamentePortuguese
- desigur, bineînțelesRomanian
- несомненно, конечно, непременно, безусловно, навернякаRussian
- несумњиво, dakako, свакако, svakako, sigurno, naravno, zacijelo, doista, nesumnjivo, наравно, дакакоSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for certainly »
Find a translation for the certainly definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)