emitting or reflecting light readily or in large amounts
"the sun was bright and hot"; "a bright sunlit room"
bright, brilliant, vivid(adj)
having striking color
"bright dress"; "brilliant tapestries"; "a bird with vivid plumage"
characterized by quickness and ease in learning
"some children are brighter in one subject than another"; "smart children talk earlier than the average"
having lots of light either natural or artificial
"the room was bright and airy"; "a stage bright with spotlights"
bright, burnished, lustrous, shining, shiny(adj)
made smooth and bright by or as if by rubbing; reflecting a sheen or glow
"bright silver candlesticks"; "a burnished brass knocker"; "she brushed her hair until it fell in lustrous auburn waves"; "rows of shining glasses"; "shiny black patents"
"the bright stars of stage and screen"; "a bright moment in history"; "the bright pageantry of court"
not made dim or less bright
"undimmed headlights"; "surprisingly the curtain started to rise while the houselights were still undimmed"
clear and sharp and ringing
"the bright sound of the trumpet section"; "the brilliant sound of the trumpets"
characterized by happiness or gladness
"bright faces"; "all the world seems bright and gay"
bright, hopeful, promising(adverb)
full or promise
"had a bright future in publishing"; "the scandal threatened an abrupt end to a promising political career"; "a hopeful new singer on Broadway"
brilliantly, brightly, bright(adverb)
"the stars shone brilliantly"; "the windows glowed jewel bright"
An artists brush used in oil and acrylic painting with a long ferrule and a flat, somewhat tapering bristle head.
A neologism intended as a positive-sounding umbrella term to describe various kinds of non-religious and non-superstitious people. (There is a Wikipedia article on this usage.)
Definition A person whose world view is free of supernatural and mystical elements. The ethics and actions of a bright are based on a naturalistic world view. (2003, Paul Geisert and Mynga Futrell)
Visually dazzling; luminous, lucent, clear, radiant; not dark.
Could you please dim the light? It's way too bright.
He's very bright. He was able to solve the problem without my help.
Vivid, colourful, brilliant.
The orange and blue walls of the sitting room were much brighter than the dull grey walls of the kitchen.
I woke up today feeling so bright that I decided to have a little dance.
Origin: bryht, metathesis of beorht, from berhtaz (compare Dutch brecht, Norwegian bjart), from pre-Celtic/Germanic *bherhgto (compare Welsh berth 'beautiful'), from bʰereg- 'to gleam, whiten' (compare Middle Irish brafad 'blink of an eye', Lithuanian brekšta 'to dawn', Russian 'dawn, daybreak', Albanian bardhë 'white', barâzîdan 'to shine', bhrájate).
see Brite, v. i
radiating or reflecting light; shedding or having much light; shining; luminous; not dark
transmitting light; clear; transparent
having qualities that render conspicuous or attractive, or that affect the mind as light does the eye; resplendent with charms; as, bright beauty
having a clear, quick intellect; intelligent
sparkling with wit; lively; vivacious; shedding cheerfulness and joy around; cheerful; cheery
manifest to the mind, as light is to the eyes; clear; evident; plain
of brilliant color; of lively hue or appearance
to be or become overripe, as wheat, barley, or hops
Bright is a town located in northeastern Victoria, Australia, 319 metres above sea level at the southeastern end of the Ovens Valley. At the 2006 census, Bright had a population of 2,684. It is in the Alpine Shire local government area. Its postcode is 3741.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
brīt, adj. shining: full of light: clear: beautiful: cheerful: clever: illustrious.—adv. (Shak.) brightly: clearly.—v.t. Bright′en, to make bright or brighter.—v.i. to grow bright or brighter: to clear up.—adv. Bright′ly.—n. Bright′ness.—adj. Bright′some, bright: brilliant. [A.S. beorht; cog. with Goth. bairhts, clear, L. flagr-āre, to flame.]
Song lyrics by bright -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by bright on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'bright' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1924
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'bright' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2427
Rank popularity for the word 'bright' in Adjectives Frequency: #210
The numerical value of bright in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of bright in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Examples of bright in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of bright
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for bright
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ساطع, نير, مستنير, لامعArabic
- зирәк, яҡты, аҡыллы, асыҡ, сағыу, баҙыҡ, башлыBashkir
- здо́льны, светлы, яркіBelarusian
- весел, умен, жив, ярък, буден, светълBulgarian
- brillant, clarCatalan, Valencian
- jasný, bystrý, světlýCzech
- livlig, munter, klar, kvik, funklende, opvakt, lys, lyseDanish
- intelligent, hell, brilliant, lebhaft, strahlend, heiter, glänzendGerman
- φωτεινός, λαμπρός, λαμπερός, έξυπνος, ευφυήςGreek
- brillante, resplandeciente, inteligente, alegre, claro, genial, vivo, lucio, expresivo, luminoso, vívidoSpanish
- شاد, فروزان, زنده, هوشمند, روشن, زیرک, تابناک, خوشPersian
- kirkas, terävä, iloinen, älykäs, välkkyFinnish
- brillant, luisant, intelligent, clair, heureux, vivideFrench
- grianmhar, spéiriúil, gealIrish
- tuigseach, geur, soilleir, toinisgeilScottish Gaelic
- בהיר, בהירהHebrew
- उज्ज्वल, चमकीला, रौशनHindi
- brillante, intelligente, viveInterlingua
- pintar, terangIndonesian
- glaðlegur, greindur, björt, skær, bjartur, skarpur, skínandi, bjart, greindarlegur, hýr, ljómandiIcelandic
- brillante, allegro, intelligente, felice, lucente, luminoso, luminosaItalian
- 賢い, 明るい, 聡明, 鮮明, 鮮やかJapanese
- زیرهک, بریقهدارKurdish
- splann, spladnCornish
- жарык, жаркырап турган, жаркыраганKyrgyz
- fénkeleg, frou, blénkeg, intelligent, hell, brillantLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- šviesus, ryškus, gyvybingas, protingas, gudrusLithuanian
- spožs, gaišs, spilgtsLatvian
- slim, monter, fel, levendig, bont, opgeruimd, intelligent, helder, vrolijkDutch
- glad, klok, dyktig, livlig, intelligent, lystig, lysNorwegian
- radiante, alegre, luminoso, vívido, brilhante, inteligente, claroPortuguese
- deștept, strălucitor, clar, luminosRomanian
- умный, яркий, сияющий, светлыйRussian
- свијетао, svetao, svijetao, светаоSerbo-Croatian
- svetlý, jasnýSlovak
- brihten, inteligenten, svetelSlovene
- klyftig, intelligent, glad, klar, ljus, färggrannSwedish
- తెలివైన, ప్రకాశవంతమైనTelugu
- matalino, maliwanagTagalog
- parlak, aydınlıkTurkish
- світлий, яскравийUkrainian
- روشن, اججول, چمکیلاUrdu
- sáng sủa, sánh dạ, thông minh, sáng, nhanh tríVietnamese
- ליכטיק, העלYiddish
Get even more translations for bright »
Find a translation for the bright definition in other languages:
Select another language: