black, bleak, dim(adj)
offering little or no hope
"the future looked black"; "prospects were bleak"; "Life in the Aran Islands has always been bleak and difficult"- J.M.Synge; "took a dim view of things"
bare, barren, bleak, desolate, stark(adj)
providing no shelter or sustenance
"bare rocky hills"; "barren lands"; "the bleak treeless regions of the high Andes"; "the desolate surface of the moon"; "a stark landscape"
bleak, cutting, raw(adj)
unpleasantly cold and damp
"bleak winds of the North Atlantic"
without color; pale; pallid
desolate and exposed; swept by cold winds
cold and cutting; cheerless; as, a bleak blast
a small European river fish (Leuciscus alburnus), of the family Cyprinidae; the blay
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
blēk, adj. colourless: dull and cheerless: cold, unsheltered.—adv. Bleak′ly.—n. Bleak′ness. [A.S. blæc, blâc, pale, shining; a different word from blac (without accent), black. The root is blican, to shine.]
blēk, n. a small white river-fish.
Dictionary of Nautical Terms
The Leuciscus alburnus of naturalists, and the fresh-water sprat of Isaak Walton. The name of this fish is from the Anglo-Saxon blican, owing to its shining whiteness--its lustrous scales having long been used in the manufacture of false pearls.
Song lyrics by bleak -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by bleak on the Lyrics.com website.
The numerical value of bleak in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of bleak in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Examples of bleak in a Sentence
But I will say—and I hope this is OK to say—that after I did that [monologue], he called me. And he said it really helped one of his daughters to understand. She showed it to him and she said, I can love you even though you did bad things. And we cried. It was a small silver lining in a very bleak story.
I think there's like 10 critics out there who want things to be withholding and bleak, but I think the average human being and the average human experience is wildly big and emotional and dramatic, i mean, I think we have parents and families and kids. We go to weddings, we go to funerals, we have births of children. We love.... The human experience is like, it is like a beautiful, sad, emotional experience.
I know that Brad is an optimist and he wanted to write a film that said that every time we turn on the news as we do and see how bleak it is, that it doesn't have to end that way; there's a future out there if you get involved, and I like the idea of it, i loved the idea of the story ... I liked the ending, I like the way they talked about those subject matters.
I accepted Prime Minister of Israel at Prime Minister of Israel word, but you have to ask yourself what are the chances now of a two state solution. They're very bleak in my view.
Rebellion without truth is like spring in a bleak, arid desert.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for bleak
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- мрачен, безрадостен, открит, блескач, гол, блед, безцветен, уклейBulgarian
- Ukelei, öde, bleich, farblos, ungeschützt, ausgeblichen, Laube, trostlos, desolat, trübe, freudlos, kahl, karg, düsterGerman
- θλιβερός, ψυχρός, άχαρος, άθλιος, άχρωμος, έρημος, σίρκοGreek
- desolado, color, pálido, alegría, albur, amargado, yermoSpanish
- kaame, kahvatu, plass, viidikasEstonian
- غم افزاPersian
- salakka, paljas, kalpea, kolkko, synkkä, karuFinnish
- gruamach, lomScottish Gaelic
- misero, desolato, pallido, infelice, triste, incolore, alborella, alburnoItalian
- ფერმკრთალი, უფერულიGeorgian
- AalbesLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- bleek, bliek, kleurloos, desolaat, guur, vreugdeloosDutch
- pálido, alburnete, desanimado, pálida, desoladoPortuguese
- незащищённый, голый, бесцветный, мрачный, открытый, бледный, уклейка, безрадостныйRussian
- dyster, löja, blek, färglösSwedish
- soluk, renksiz, solgunTurkish
Get even more translations for bleak »
Find a translation for the bleak definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)