black, bleak, dimadjective
offering little or no hope
"the future looked black"; "prospects were bleak"; "Life in the Aran Islands has always been bleak and difficult"- J.M.Synge; "took a dim view of things"
bare, barren, bleak, desolate, starkadjective
providing no shelter or sustenance
"bare rocky hills"; "barren lands"; "the bleak treeless regions of the high Andes"; "the desolate surface of the moon"; "a stark landscape"
bleak, cutting, rawadjective
unpleasantly cold and damp
"bleak winds of the North Atlantic"
without color; pale; pallid
desolate and exposed; swept by cold winds
cold and cutting; cheerless; as, a bleak blast
a small European river fish (Leuciscus alburnus), of the family Cyprinidae; the blay
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
blēk, adj. colourless: dull and cheerless: cold, unsheltered.—adv. Bleak′ly.—n. Bleak′ness. [A.S. blæc, blâc, pale, shining; a different word from blac (without accent), black. The root is blican, to shine.]
blēk, n. a small white river-fish.
Dictionary of Nautical Terms
The Leuciscus alburnus of naturalists, and the fresh-water sprat of Isaak Walton. The name of this fish is from the Anglo-Saxon blican, owing to its shining whiteness--its lustrous scales having long been used in the manufacture of false pearls.
Song lyrics by bleak -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by bleak on the Lyrics.com website.
The numerical value of bleak in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of bleak in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
I wasn't interested in a lot of these companies at their IPO prices, but now that they're down 30 or 40 percent, they're interesting to me, i'm in the business of buying when things look bleak.
Hopefully it will put a smile on your face in these rather bleak times that we're in at the moment.
Give a man secure possession of a bleak rock and he will turn it into a garden; give him nine years lease of a garden and he will turn it into a desert.
Rebellion without truth is like spring in a bleak, arid desert.
The Greek Mythological Story of "Pandora's Box" teaches us the significance of self-control and self-discipline that can keep us away from the evils in the world. It also assures us that at the end of the day, there is always Hope - despite the severe storms of challenges, and when everything seems so dark and bleak. Never lose Hope, especially while overcoming the challenges of life.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for bleak
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- мрачен, безрадостен, открит, блескач, гол, блед, безцветен, уклейBulgarian
- Ukelei, öde, bleich, farblos, ungeschützt, ausgeblichen, Laube, trostlos, desolat, trübe, freudlos, kahl, karg, düsterGerman
- θλιβερός, ψυχρός, άχαρος, άθλιος, άχρωμος, έρημος, σίρκοGreek
- desolado, color, pálido, alegría, albur, amargado, yermoSpanish
- kaame, kahvatu, plass, viidikasEstonian
- غم افزاPersian
- salakka, paljas, kalpea, kolkko, synkkä, karuFinnish
- gruamach, lomScottish Gaelic
- misero, desolato, pallido, infelice, triste, incolore, alborella, alburnoItalian
- ფერმკრთალი, უფერულიGeorgian
- AalbesLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- bleek, bliek, kleurloos, desolaat, guur, vreugdeloosDutch
- pálido, alburnete, desanimado, pálida, desoladoPortuguese
- незащищённый, голый, бесцветный, мрачный, открытый, бледный, уклейка, безрадостныйRussian
- dyster, löja, blek, färglösSwedish
- soluk, renksiz, solgunTurkish
Get even more translations for bleak »
Find a translation for the bleak definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)