any cognitive content held as true
impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion(noun)
a vague idea in which some confidence is placed
"his impression of her was favorable"; "what are your feelings about the crisis?"; "it strengthened my belief in his sincerity"; "I had a feeling that she was lying"
Mental acceptance of a claim as truth regardless of supporting or contrary empirical evidence.
The ancient people have a belief in many deities.
The quality or state of believing.
My belief that it will rain tomorrow is strong.
She often said it was her belief that carried her through the hard times.
One's religious or moral convictions.
I can't do that. It's against my beliefs.
Origin: from leafa.
assent to a proposition or affirmation, or the acceptance of a fact, opinion, or assertion as real or true, without immediate personal knowledge; reliance upon word or testimony; partial or full assurance without positive knowledge or absolute certainty; persuasion; conviction; confidence; as, belief of a witness; the belief of our senses
a persuasion of the truths of religion; faith
the thing believed; the object of belief
a tenet, or the body of tenets, held by the advocates of any class of views; doctrine; creed
Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true. Dispositional and occurrent belief concerns the contextual activation of the belief into thoughts or ideas.
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
a word of various application, but properly definable as that which lies at the heart of a man or a nation's convictions, or is the heart and soul of all their thoughts and actions, "the thing a man does practically lay to heart, and know for certain concerning his vital relations to this mysterious universe, and his duty and destiny there."
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'belief' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1979
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'belief' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4498
Rank popularity for the word 'belief' in Nouns Frequency: #623
How to say belief in sign language?
The numerical value of belief in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of belief in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Examples of belief in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of belief
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for belief
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- إیمان, عقيدةArabic
- вяра, убеждение, довериеBulgarian
- creençaCatalan, Valencian
- víra, přesvědčeníCzech
- Glauben, GlaubeGerman
- πίστη, δοξασία, πιστεύω, δόγμαGreek
- veendumus, lootus, usk, uskumusEstonian
- باور, اعتقادPersian
- usko, luottamus, vakaumusFinnish
- croyance, conviction, foiFrench
- barail, creideamh, beachdScottish Gaelic
- hit, meggyőződés, hiedelemHungarian
- հավատ, վստահությունArmenian
- kepercayaan, keyakinanIndonesian
- convinzione, credito, fiducia, opinione, convinzioni, fede, credenza, credoItalian
- 信仰, 確信Japanese
- باوهر, بڕوا, برواKurdish
- диний ишеним, ишеним, көз караш, ишенүү, ишеничKyrgyz
- oodlą́ʼNavajo, Navaho
- wiara, przekonanie, wierzeniePolish
- convicțiune, credință, convingereRomanian
- верование, убеждение, вера, довериеRussian
- вјера, vera, вера, uvjerenje, vjera, vjerovanje, веровање, verovanje, уверење, вјеровање, увјерење, uverenjeSerbo-Croatian
- మతవిశ్వాశం, నమ్మకము, విశ్వాసముTelugu
Get even more translations for belief »
Find a translation for the belief definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)