the event consisting of the start of something
"the beginning of the war"
beginning, commencement, first, outset, get-go, start, kickoff, starting time, showtime, offset(noun)
the time at which something is supposed to begin
"they got an early start"; "she knew from the get-go that he was the man for her"
the first part or section of something
"`It was a dark and stormy night' is a hackneyed beginning for a story"
beginning, origin, root, rootage, source(noun)
the place where something begins, where it springs into being
"the Italian beginning of the Renaissance"; "Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"; "Pittsburgh is the source of the Ohio River"; "communism's Russian root"
beginning, start, commencement(adj)
the act of starting something
"he was responsible for the beginning of negotiations"
serving to begin
"the beginning canto of the poem"; "the first verse"
The act of doing that which begins anything; commencement of an action, state, or space of time; entrance into being or upon a course; the first act, effort, or state of a succession of acts or states.
That which is begun; a rudiment or element.
That which begins or originates something; the first cause; origin; source.
The initial portion of some extended thing.
Of or relating to the first portion of some extended thing
Origin: Verbal noun of begin.
the act of doing that which begins anything; commencement of an action, state, or space of time; entrance into being or upon a course; the first act, effort, or state of a succession of acts or states
that which begins or originates something; the first cause; origin; source
that which is begun; a rudiment or element
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'beginning' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1592
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'beginning' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1020
Rank popularity for the word 'beginning' in Nouns Frequency: #608
The numerical value of beginning in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of beginning in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of beginning
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for beginning
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- източник, наченки, началоBulgarian
- començament, inici, principiCatalan, Valencian
- počátek, začátekCzech
- Beginn, Angefangene, Anfang, BegonneneGerman
- αρχή, αρχίGreek
- inicio, principio, comienzo, comenzandoSpanish
- algus, alustamineEstonian
- alku, alkaminen, alkuosaFinnish
- début, ébauche, commencementFrench
- toiseachScottish Gaelic
- principio, inicio, comezo, empezoGalician
- kezdet, elejeHungarian
- սկզբնապատճառ, սկիզբArmenian
- 到来, 発端, 始まり, 開始, 起源Japanese
- 시작, 始作, 처음Korean
- سهرهتایی, دهستپێکردنKurdish
- initium, principiumLatin
- pradžia, pradėjimas, debiutasLithuanian
- തുടക്കം, ആരംഭംMalayalam
- begin, aanvangDutch
- começo, gerador, princípio, originador, inícioPortuguese
- prinzipi, entschatta, antschatta, antscheataRomansh
- început, debut, inițiere, începere, startRomanian
- начало, источникRussian
- početak, почињање, počinjanje, почетакSerbo-Croatian
- počiatok, začiatokSlovak
- izvor, začetek, pričetekSlovene
- orsak, begynnelse, upphov, början, bSwedish
- ప్రారంభం, మొదలుTelugu
- başlanan, iptida, başlangıçTurkish
- phần đầu, bắt đầuVietnamese
- kimince, kiminçmintWalloon
Get even more translations for beginning »
Find a translation for the beginning definition in other languages:
Select another language: